Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the army a couple of months ago and today I got a phone call from the careers office to ask if I'd go for an interview next Thursday (15th Jan). He called it interview 3 not sure what this means as I've never had another interview. I have a few choices but can only remember a couple -medic and dog handler- so I'll have to check my email to see what else I said! Basically just want to know about anyone else's interview experiences, how to prepare and how to deal with nerves, I'm already nervous just thinking about it! He did send me an email with a lot of info of things I should know for the interview like values and standards, army's recent work, why I want to join and a few attachments with things like ice breakers and terms & conditions. Please reply with any useful information or experiences of your own, thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi mate,

Interview 3 is just a name change, no need to panic!
    Int 3 is more or less an informal chat (roughly an hour, if that) about yourself where we will ask you some questions about yourself, home life etc. It is an opportunity for us to determine if you're suitable for a possible career in the British Army.
    Most the questions you will be asked will be about you - remember you're are the expert on yourself.

Definitely read up on what your CSM (candidate support manager, from the NRC) has sent you - you will be asked information around that (CDRILLs and what each element means to you).

A personal favourite which I ask all my candidates is (along the lines of) "What do you understand by the word discipline and can you give me an example of when you had to show discipline". Saying "trying not to smack someone in the face when they annoy you is of course, an unacceptable answer. (I've had someone say that to me).

Don't forget to read up more on the job role you wish to apply for, as well as basic training (duration, location) and phase 2 training in general.

Interview wise remember: Don't arrive late (arrive max 15min early), dress smart, give a firm handshake, look at the interviewer in the eye, speak clearly and be polite (no swearing!).
    Finally, don't lie - we can see right through it. We want an honest answer, not one which you think is the right answer. If you used to be a bad egg at school and found yourself always in trouble, we want to know (reference: integrity from the CDRILLs).
    Just back it up by how you've realised the errors of your ways and have changed.

If there are any specific questions, shoot me a PM - I don't check the forums very often but I'll be happy to advise/ help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4_Fanatic)
    Hi mate,

Interview 3 is just a name change, no need to panic!
    Int 3 is more or less an informal chat (roughly an hour, if that) about yourself where we will ask you some questions about yourself, home life etc. It is an opportunity for us to determine if you're suitable for a possible career in the British Army.
    Most the questions you will be asked will be about you - remember you're are the expert on yourself.

Definitely read up on what your CSM (candidate support manager, from the NRC) has sent you - you will be asked information around that (CDRILLs and what each element means to you).

A personal favourite which I ask all my candidates is (along the lines of) "What do you understand by the word discipline and can you give me an example of when you had to show discipline". Saying "trying not to smack someone in the face when they annoy you is of course, an unacceptable answer. (I've had someone say that to me).

Don't forget to read up more on the job role you wish to apply for, as well as basic training (duration, location) and phase 2 training in general.

Interview wise remember: Don't arrive late (arrive max 15min early), dress smart, give a firm handshake, look at the interviewer in the eye, speak clearly and be polite (no swearing!).
    Finally, don't lie - we can see right through it. We want an honest answer, not one which you think is the right answer. If you used to be a bad egg at school and found yourself always in trouble, we want to know (reference: integrity from the CDRILLs).
    Just back it up by how you've realised the errors of your ways and have changed.

If there are any specific questions, shoot me a PM - I don't check the forums very often but I'll be happy to advise/ help.
    Hi there thanks a lot for your advice and for answering my question ! What does CDRILLS mean and when you say each element do you mean the values and standards of the army or what ? Sorry I don't get the way the army talk sometimes like when they use abbreviations for almost everything ! I have written a few notes down about myself that I'm going to say and I still have a lot more researching to do on current affairs etc. When I think of the meaning of the word discipline I think it means you have to follow orders, do as you're told when you're told, don't answer back, having respect for yourself and others, keep calm under stressful situations which may be out of your control, I'd go with something like that ?

ReputationRep:
    What does CDRILLS mean and when you say each element do you mean the values and standards of the army or what ?
    CDRILLs are indeed the acronym for the values and standards of the British Army.
    Courage, Discipline, Respect for others, Integrity, Loyalty, Selfless Comittment. So yes, from the values and standards booklet (can be found online).

I have written a few notes down about myself that I'm going to say and I still have a lot more researching to do on current affairs etc.
    Make sure you don't take that piece of paper into the interview with you - like I said it is to find out more about yourself. You are the expert on yourself, so if you go in with a piece of paper with notes about yourself it doesn't reflect too well on you and will get my BS detector ringing!

With regards to current affairs, make sure you know about what's happening globally (actual world news, not showbiz!) as well as what's happening with regards to the British Army ie: current operations/ deployments.

"What do you understand by the word discipline and can you give me an example of when you had to show discipline"
    What I would be looking for when asking that is a personal example - ie: I make sure I get up early so I can do my phys, even when it's cold and wet.

ReputationRep:
    Express you enthusiasm and just don't say anything stupid ;and that's all you need to worry about. Everything else is overkill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4_Fanatic)
    CDRILLs are indeed the acronym for the values and standards of the British Army.
    Courage, Discipline, Respect for others, Integrity, Loyalty, Selfless Comittment. So yes, from the values and standards booklet (can be found online).

Make sure you don't take that piece of paper into the interview with you - like I said it is to find out more about yourself. You are the expert on yourself, so if you go in with a piece of paper with notes about yourself it doesn't reflect too well on you and will get my BS detector ringing!

With regards to current affairs, make sure you know about what's happening globally (actual world news, not showbiz!) as well as what's happening with regards to the British Army ie: current operations/ deployments.

What I would be looking for when asking that is a personal example - ie: I make sure I get up early so I can do my phys, even when it's cold and wet.
    Thanks a lot ! I'll be sure to do my research on everything you've mentioned - thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Express you enthusiasm and just don't say anything stupid ;and that's all you need to worry about. Everything else is overkill.
    Thank you I just hope I don't get too nervous and say something daft ! It means a lot to me, think that's why I'm over thinking everything ! Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    I passed my first interview just waiting on the dates for assessment centre at Glencorse now !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.