Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recieved an offer to study History at Coventry University, but didn't attend any open days. Can anyone honestly tell me what they think of the university? I will also be living at home in Birmingham so will be commuting, do you think I will miss out on student life or struggle to make friends? I'm a fairly shy person and I'm dreading the possibility of struggling to make friends!

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

ReputationRep:
    I've recieved an offer to study law at Coventry and I went to the open day. It was really good as a university, minus accommodation which you obviously don't have to worry about. It's very sociable and seems like lots of fun, so even if you don't live there I don't think you'll struggle making friends. Everyone's going to be shy and probably going to feel exactly how you will at first so you won't be alone with that.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by tme97)
    I have recieved an offer to study History at Coventry University, but didn't attend any open days. Can anyone honestly tell me what they think of the university? I will also be living at home in Birmingham so will be commuting, do you think I will miss out on student life or struggle to make friends? I'm a fairly shy person and I'm dreading the possibility of struggling to make friends!

Any help would be appreciated, thank you
    Hey tme97,
    Are you able to make any of our applicant open days? We have quite a few coming up, which you should have an email about if you have an offer from us I knew plenty of people who commuted when I was doing my undergraduate here last year, and they all still made friends. Quite often they would come and stay over at mine or some body else's on the course if they fancied a night out with us, or alternatively they could get public transport back to Birmingham regularly up until very late. I came to university very shy too, but everybody is in the same boat for freshers week and the start of term so try not to worry, there's plenty of opportunities to get to know people here whether you live on campus or not
    - Josh

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have finished my final year at Coventry Univeristy, although I studied medical and pharmacological science (so a different course to you) I can inform you what it's like to be a student there.

I also missed the open days due to revision for A-Level exams, so you're not alone there.

Throughout my study at Coventry Univeristy, I lived at home and commuted everyday. You'll find that there are a large amount of people who travel from Birmingham to Coventry so you'll make plenty of friends. Also there are a few trains that go to Coventry so if you miss one it isn't such a problem. The station is around 15 mins walking from the Univeristy (The Hub and James Starley) and there are regular busses that take you to the Univeristy.

On my course there were people from all walks of life and I made friends with all of them. I loved every single minute of it (minus the exam period!) and if I could I would do it all over again.

If you have any more questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer it

ReputationRep:
    Anyone looking for a 4 bed accomodation in Coventry located 140 Allesley Road, we need one more person to join me and 2 of my friends (3 Boys). Already had someone drop out, which is why i need a message back urgently. Let me know if your instrested. The vacant room is a en suite by the way.

£340 a month Including in water, Internet and TV license
    Excluding electricity and gas

Need a reply ASAP

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's sucks
    The worst university in UK
    The city is the worst city in UK
    Trust me choose a different university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxMaisxXx)
    I also missed the open days due to revision for A-Level exams, so you're not alone there.
    I'm sure if you were that busy studying, you wouldn't have ended up in Coventry.
    Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    I'm sure if you were that busy studying, you wouldn't have ended up in Coventry.
    Sorry.
    This is harsh and very disrespectful.

Considering its ranked 15th in the UK and bumped up its A-level requirements. I also see you writing on the IB & consultancy thread and coming from Coventry i landed 3-4 interviews and a BB offer in the end.

You should never try and bring people down like that, arrogance will land you nothing in this industry specifically when it comes to meeting people from a variety of different backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaGeehkaal)
    This is harsh and very disrespectful.

Considering its ranked 15th in the UK and bumped up its A-level requirements. I also see you writing on the IB & consultancy thread and coming from Coventry i landed 3-4 interviews and a BB offer in the end.

You should never try and bring people down like that, arrogance will land you nothing in this industry specifically when it comes to meeting people from a variety of different backgrounds.
    Either the back office, has a back office. Or you interned as a cleaner.
    Definitely not a front office role, sorry.

Also entry requirements for a competitive course such as economics is BBC there. Unless you're telling me you got AAB+ and still went to Coventry - you would have not made it past the initial screening for banks, let alone recieved 3-4 interviews (...giving a range? either you had an interview or you didn't, thus this further lowers your credibility)... and an offer? c'mon now... -real talk-

Someone did that to me once. Was amazing for me. Made me wake up. I put London Met and other places like that on my UCAS form as I thought as it was good due to it being in London.... Got some wake up slaps from people laughing and realised that was not a good idea and now I'm rolling into a top 5-7 uni (depending on which league table you refer to).

Inflating A-level requirements does not make it a good university, nor is it legitimately 15th. Try ~50th.

ReputationRep:
    Either the back office, has a back office. Or you interned as a cleaner.
    Definitely not a front office role, sorry.

Also entry requirements for a competitive course such as economics is BBC there. Unless you're telling me you got AAB+ and still went to Coventry - you would have not made it past the initial screening for banks, let alone recieved 3-4 interviews (...giving a range? either you had an interview or you didn't, thus this further lowers your credibility)... and an offer? c'mon now... -real talk-

Someone did that to me once. Was amazing for me. Made me wake up. I put London Met and other places like that on my UCAS form as I thought as it was good due to it being in London.... Got some wake up slaps from people laughing and realised that was not a good idea and now I'm rolling into a top 5-7 uni (depending on which league table you refer to).

Inflating A-level requirements does not make it a good university, nor is it legitimately 15th. Try ~50th.
    Before i even start response, i'd like to tell you that even in the worst situations if you work hard you will succeed which is what i've told myself since coming from a non-target university. I put in so much work this year and im very proud to see where i am standing now.

Middle office- Risk, if you want me to take a picture of my contract by all means feel free to pm me. (within that middle office group there is a very small front office advisory team i hope to be joining in 2016)

*including phone interview 4.

You can sit here and make as many jokes as you want, but even people who got SW for back office operations had tough interviews. You are also laughing at Ops when people at Ops get a grad salary of 36k +6k sign on bonus. (The people i know who interned at Ops came from top universities too and were incredibly hard working)

I also have a potential M&A internship this summer, in addition to being invited to be interviewed by 2 asset management firms this summer. You do know there are a majority of banks what dont screen on A-level grades for equal opportunities right? (if you consulted HR you would of found this out but your close mindedness and ignorance says otherwise) here are a select few:

Credit Suisse
    DB
    GS
    JPM

The boutique i interviewed at decided to interview me on the basis of my solid application even acknowledging my A-level grades where not to standard.

Given you are in year 13 and not even received your A-level grades yet, your absolute nonsense of a knowledge really intrigues me. I really do enjoy helping the younger years help land there internships advise them on there applications and totally against being rude and ignorant. But the amount of disrespect you've shown i really do hope the next time ill be seeing you is when you'll be polishing my shoes or serving me Latte's in the morning. Your arrogance will get you nowhere in life.

Show respect for the cleaners too? i mean come on it does suit the arrogant working environment you'll want to be a part of huh?

If all goes well i wish you the best at your spring week at Subway.

*ill also wait for you to hit me up so i can send every single page of my contract

Kids like you think you know everything about IBD huh? well you know **** all kiddo.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, imagine if you were going clubbing with society/course mates, you'd most likely get back at 3/4/5, so you probably won't be able to go if you parents are strict. It's fine to commute from home otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaGeehkaal)
    x
    Haha chill out man

I was bored and went on a trolling spree. Nothing more.

If you're being truthful, I have respect for you. Best wishes on converting the offers in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Haha chill out man

I was bored and went on a trolling spree. Nothing more.

If you're being truthful, I have respect for you. Best wishes on converting the offers in the future.
    I have no reason to lie the only person im trying to impress is myself. I am shocked myself at where i've landed tbh; i take back what i said i was just a bit angry at your response and the mockery towards me.

Thank you best of luck for the future, if you eventually land a SW you will realise not everybody is from a target at the front office. You will see one thing everyone has in common regardless of the university they went to:

They all worked hard, hard work goes a very long way just remember that in a few months time youll be able to reflect over this.

ReputationRep:
    I am not going to coventry because they mess up my application. I have friends in coventry that are happy with their studies. It depends on the course you are going as well, not all courses are the same. It is an important desicion and you have to think careful. God bless you

ReputationRep:
    I read very mixed messages for Coventry, a guy from Nigeria got missing last year from the university . Is it a racist place?? need to make up my mind by next week. helpp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folayan)
    I read very mixed messages for Coventry, a guy from Nigeria got missing last year from the university . Is it a racist place?? need to make up my mind by next week. helpp
    Hiya! Coventry is not a racist place at all! There are so many international students which are welcomed with open arms.

As for the University, I am beginning in September but have had close friends graduate from here in recent years. From what I've been told, they've thoroughly enjoyed their studies. I've been attending various study sessions and lectures with previous year intake students and they've all been informative, useful and encouraging.

Not sure on the above poster knocking Coventry, I'm about to start on their Adult Nursing course and it's one of the top ten universities for Nursing and hugely competitive.

I have another degree in English from Birmingham university, and have found Coventry university to be much friendlier and helpful, so far. The facilities are top notch (the renovation work on the library for example) and the people of Coventry are much more easy going.

I moved from my home town of Birmingham to Coventry last year and am so happy I did. There's a much much young vibe here.

ReputationRep:
    I adore Coventry University and the city and I doubt I'll want to leave when my degree finishes.!

I just finished my first year at university and through them I have been interviewed/taken on for voluntary roles such as Hall Rep, Campaign Rep, Senior Course Rep, Student Councillor, Green Rep and Campaign Network Leader. These led to paid roles such as Sustainable Building Futures intern, Student Advocate, [email protected] staff and Receptionist. As a vegan activist, I come across a lot of resistance but the university have 100% supported me in my passion to promote sustainable, healthy and ethical living! They are now funding a project I'm heading which has already changed so many things in the university, from catering offering healthier options to putting compost bins in the uni halls. This is only the beginning! And now the uni has expressed a want to have me as staff instead, due to how passionate I am about creating a brighter future, of which I have won awards for.

I am extremely proud of all the work I've done in only 8 months and I will earn £2,000 just for Summer work.

The university has changed me as a person completely. I am so much more than I started out in September - my experiences here have been invaluably character building.

Looking back now, and hearing what other universities are like from my friends, I feel so lucky to be able to study at Coventry University. It's a place where the teaching isn't just about your degree - it's a holistic process.

You can come here, do nothing for 4 years apart from study and leave thinking it was your biggest regret, but you can also do what I've done and turn your dreams into reality and become an integral part of the university. People who don't enjoy it here either don't have any specific passions or didn't know they could make something out of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightergait)
    I adore Coventry University and the city and I doubt I'll want to leave when my degree finishes.!

I just finished my first year at university and through them I have been interviewed/taken on for voluntary roles such as Hall Rep, Campaign Rep, Senior Course Rep, Student Councillor, Green Rep and Campaign Network Leader. These led to paid roles such as Sustainable Building Futures intern, Student Advocate, [email protected] staff and Receptionist. As a vegan activist, I come across a lot of resistance but the university have 100% supported me in my passion to promote sustainable, healthy and ethical living! They are now funding a project I'm heading which has already changed so many things in the university, from catering offering healthier options to putting compost bins in the uni halls. This is only the beginning! And now the uni has expressed a want to have me as staff instead, due to how passionate I am about creating a brighter future, of which I have won awards for.

I am extremely proud of all the work I've done in only 8 months and I will earn £3,000 just for Summer work.

The university has changed me as a person completely. I am so much more than I started out in September - my experiences here have been invaluably character building.

Looking back now, and hearing what other universities are like from my friends, I feel so lucky to be able to study at Coventry University. It's a place where the teaching isn't just about your degree - it's a holistic process.

You can come here, do nothing for 4 years apart from study and leave thinking it was your biggest regret, but you can also do what I've done and turn your dreams into reality and become an integral part of the university. People who don't enjoy it here either don't have any specific passions or didn't know they could make something out of them!
    Wow I just managed being a course rep, hats off to you!
    What course do you study?
    I will be in my final year this September studying biomedical science.

ReputationRep:
    What about the support from International Office? Is it as bad as people say in this forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioGeek)
    Wow I just managed being a course rep, hats off to you!
    What course do you study?
    I will be in my final year this September studying biomedical science.
    Thank you!

Maths and Statistics, going into second year this September

Oh cool! How have you found it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.