Turn on thread page Beta

When should you have a protein shake? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm always unsure as to when I should be drinking my protein shake. Before, during or after my workout? Does it even matter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've heard lots of people give varying opinions on this. I personally drink a shake no later than 15 min after a work out. I'm quite a big guy and I find that's enough for me. I tried drinking shakes during a work out but it wouldn't settle in my stomach so I stopped. Some of my mates drink one shake after a work out and one just before bed to maintain their protein intake. In short, try all the options and see what works for you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You don't have to drink shakes to start with Only take them if you're struggling to eat 1-1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight

As for your actual question; it doesn't matter, meal timing has no effect on how you're body uses it. Personally I drink them with a post workout meal. This could be 2 hours, 20 minutes or 6 hours later depending on my day.

There's no such thing as a an anabolic window to which the above poster refers to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, Angry Cumcumber is wrong about the anabolic window. I read about the subject, spoke to powerlifters and tried various methods to see what suited me best. The best time to drink a protein shake IS straight after a workout because your muscles will be primed to absorb the protein. This 'prime time' begins to diminish after about an hour. If you were to wait up to 6 hours (for example) then you'll lose most of the benefit of your protein intake. He's right about the meat intake though.

If you still want to drink shakes then go for a casein based shake that includes some carbs. Works for me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by !!mentor!!)
    Unfortunately, Angry Cumcumber is wrong about the anabolic window. I read about the subject, spoke to powerlifters and tried various methods to see what suited me best. The best time to drink a protein shake IS straight after a workout because your muscles will be primed to absorb the protein. This 'prime time' begins to diminish after about an hour. If you were to wait up to 6 hours (for example) then you'll lose most of the benefit of your protein intake. He's right about the meat intake though.

If you still want to drink shakes then go for a casein based shake that includes some carbs. Works for me.
    Unfortunately you've fallen to broscience.

It is entirely disproven: in fact the anabolic window never progressed from a hypothesis

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Supplement companies love people like you.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I guess I shouldn't have paid attention to the studies by the Human Performance Laboratory, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American Dietetic Assiciation, Dietitors of Canada, American College of Sports Science who all conducted studies into protein effectiveness including when to ingest it (no more than an hour after the session being the optimal time frame).

Damn those scientists and their science for lying about their studies.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I guess I shouldn't have paid attention to the studies by the Human Performance Laboratory, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American Dietetic Assiciation, Dietitors of Canada, American College of Sports Science who all conducted studies into protein effectiveness including when to ingest it (no more than an hour after the session being the optimal time frame).

Even if you're going to continue to ignore the facts, what you're saying would make no sense anyway. The muscles are "primed for absorption" for just one hour after working out? So you drink a shake after your workout, and you think the protein is magically absorbed within 45-60 minutes?? Even if what you were saying was true, you'd have to drink the shake 2-3 hours before your workout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Even if you're going to continue to ignore the facts, what you're saying would make no sense anyway. The muscles are "primed for absorption" for just one hour after working out? So you drink a shake after your workout, and you think the protein is magically absorbed within 45-60 minutes?? Even if what you were saying was true, you'd have to drink the shake 2-3 hours before your workout.
    I think you may have misunderstood what i was saying. In 2007 the Human Performance Laboratory together with the college of sports science conducted a study of 357 US marines in relation to the effects of 7 types of proteins (including shakes) and the periods when they ingested it (8 hours, 4 hours, 1 hour after a weight training session). The study was conducted over a period of 3 months and they found those that took on protein during the one hour period after a session gained several kilos more of muscle than those who ingested it later. I've never said that the one hour period is the only time to take protein but it is the best time. When i switched my protein intake to that period i noticed significant gains in my size and strength. My comments are based on what i've read and my experience.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

I think you may have misunderstood what i was saying. In 2007 the Human Performance Laboratory together with the college of sports science conducted a study of 357 US marines in relation to the effects of 7 types of proteins (including shakes) and the periods when they ingested it (8 hours, 4 hours, 1 hour after a weight training session). The study was conducted over a period of 3 months and they found those that took on protein during the one hour period after a session gained several kilos more of muscle than those who ingested it later. I've never said that the one hour period is the only time to take protein but it is the best time. When i switched my protein intake to that period i noticed significant gains in my size and strength. My comments are based on what i've read and my experience.

You got a link to this study? It goes against every other study ever on the topic.

I'm doubting several more kilos of pure muscle difference. Hell I'm doubting several kilos gained full stop.

Largely as you've got to be on all kinds of stuff to gain kilos of muscle in 3 months. Especially if we take marines as not being completely untrained

ReputationRep:
    Which brand of protein powder were they using?

Nandrolone's Whey Decanoate Isolate?

ReputationRep:
    Funny thing is research actually shows there's a lag in protein synthesis up-regulation straight after a workout, and it really starts to pick up 4-6 hours post-workout, not immediately after. Immediately after you have you slightly increased synthesis but also increased protein breakdown (so the net sum remains negative in the fasted state) which you actually want to clear out and recycle damaged proteins before the rebuilding process begins.

Its rarely worth being anal about food consumption and timings, because it rarely makes much of a difference. As long as you are eating a nice big meal sometime after your workout (even several hours) it probably makes little difference.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Unfortunately you've fallen to broscience.

It is entirely disproven: in fact the anabolic window never progressed from a hypothesis

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The anabolic window: because humans obviously evolved in a world where protein was plentiful immediately following exertion and this sort of adaptation was advantageous!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.