Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Seeking some advice.

I left school with 3 A Levels in ICT, Spanish and Business Studies (gained C's in each). After getting accepted to business studies I changed my mind to sport science (I was a competing athlete in my teenage years/early 20s). Decided to go to college and do an HND which I gained the highest marks in my year and came out with a Distinction. Got accepted to studying for degree in Sport Science. Achieved the highest grades in final year and came out with a 1st Class Honours (over 75%).

While studying sports science I done a years placement at a sports development consultancy firm. Gained a commendation and was offered a full time job. Worked and studied for final year.

I've been with the company for 5 years and have gained a lot of valuable exp. in business consultancy (branched out from sports dev.) and working with governments and councils. I've ran my own projects, have my own team under me but I'm not content at the company I'm with. I enjoy the work but would like to move to one of the bigger companies with more opportunities and additional training. I've gained some training in finance and have experience in finance through my job.

I am now thinking of applying for a couple of positions I have seen in some of the big four companies however my UCAS points are holding me back. I need at least 300 but I only have 240. I've been rejected in the past on this alone, despite my experience.

I don't know what to do to progress. Im thinking of either re-sitting my A Levels or using my finance experience to get on to a ACCA course and provide me with further options.

I'll admit I struggled with academia in my early grammar school years but eventually it all clicked at uni and I studied hard for my first class honours. Science in any field isn't easy (well might be to some of u :P).

Im motivated and determined to progress and move up the career ladder. Although I'm already in the field of consultancy, I feel my experience alone is not enough, and it's now time to possibly look at gaining some industry recognised qualifications. Even getting on to some of them can be difficult with my previous studies and the subjects I've done.

Anybody have any wise words of advice, encouragement etc...

Feel at a bit of a crossroads as the company I work is not great. Without disclosing my wage, I don't make even the low end for the consultancy industry. I'm not all about the money though. There's also no training opportunities, Little progression opportunities and basically I feel ive reached as far as I can go with this company. I've worked on some pretty huge projects for local government and council on projects worth millions. And not a backseat support role either. These are key highlights in my career to date and stead me well when I am a named team member when we are bidding for work but I feel my academic background is holding me back for positions at some of the bigger consultancy firms.

ReputationRep:
    can you retake some of your a-level modules this year? do those graduate schemes accept retakes? if yes, you're sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ltsmith)
    can you retake some of your a-level modules this year? do those graduate schemes accept retakes? if yes, you're sorted.
    I'm going to contact each of the big four companies tomorrow to seek some advice regarding A Level retakes. I'm prepared to do what I can to open up further opportunities for myself - so if I need to resit A Level, I will. I'll have a look into re-taking some of the modules this year, but I do remembering reading on one of the big companies websites that UCAS points had to be gained in the same year (e.g. not two years apart etc). I'll have to clarify that too.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ... I am constantly telling my cousins and friends' sons to work hard for A-Levels. I wish I had realised how important they could turn out to be.

Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    PwC accepts 240ucas if you got a1st class degree. "If you've already gained a 1st in your degree, or are on track for one, then we're able to accept a slightly lower UCAS tariff. In this instance we’ll accept 240 "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TarnyGee)
    PwC accepts 240ucas if you got a1st class degree. "If you've already gained a 1st in your degree, or are on track for one, then we're able to accept a slightly lower UCAS tariff. In this instance we’ll accept 240 "
    I applied to them previously ..... Did the online tests and scored higher than average (average being the average of economics students) and didn't get through to an interview. It was a few years ago, but as far as I can recall, I didn't get much opportunities in the initial application process to highlight my experience in the field to date. Tried to attain some feedback as I thought getting through to be invited to do the online tests and scoring higher than average would have enabled me to get to interview stage. Not one person I spoke to was helpful. I know a few graduates in there. One specifically studied Design then spent one year working in retail and he got through to interview, eventually getting the job. Really happy for him of course but was feeling a little clueless as to why he was able to get through to interview stage, given I had a couple years experience in that field at the time and a first class honours (he doesn't).

I think I will apply to them again though. I have wanted to apply to Deloitte but they require 300 Ucas + 1st Class Hons. (Or higher Ucase with 2.1 etc..). So I still don't meet their requirements to apply. I did meet a guy for coffee that works with them and he passed my CV on to his manager and he was able to give me an insight into the consulting role he's in (graduate again) and I explained what I do and he said we pretty much do the same type of job and my experience would stead me well. I really didn't think my CV would get anywhere with them anyway, but thought at least get it on the table (they were planning on hiring experienced that year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowydogh)
    I applied to them previously ..... Did the online tests and scored higher than average (average being the average of economics students) and didn't get through to an interview. It was a few years ago, but as far as I can recall, I didn't get much opportunities in the initial application process to highlight my experience in the field to date. Tried to attain some feedback as I thought getting through to be invited to do the online tests and scoring higher than average would have enabled me to get to interview stage. Not one person I spoke to was helpful. I know a few graduates in there. One specifically studied Design then spent one year working in retail and he got through to interview, eventually getting the job. Really happy for him of course but was feeling a little clueless as to why he was able to get through to interview stage, given I had a couple years experience in that field at the time and a first class honours (he doesn't).

I think I will apply to them again though. I have wanted to apply to Deloitte but they require 300 Ucas + 1st Class Hons. (Or higher Ucase with 2.1 etc..). So I still don't meet their requirements to apply. I did meet a guy for coffee that works with them and he passed my CV on to his manager and he was able to give me an insight into the consulting role he's in (graduate again) and I explained what I do and he said we pretty much do the same type of job and my experience would stead me well. I really didn't think my CV would get anywhere with them anyway, but thought at least get it on the table (they were planning on hiring experienced that year).
    I'm feeling very frustrated too, as I want to get into actuary and though Pwc have it printed in their 2015 Graduate programme that they would accept anything above 240 UCAS points if you get a First Class Honours it turned out to be a lie. Was told by HR they have changed their rules since June for actuary and you now need 320 points regardless of the classification of degree, so why the hell did I bust my buns for a First in MATHS that they don't care about when I only have 300 UCAS points!!! They can do this because there is so many applicants and I am afraid it favours private school pupils without getting political I can honestly say that by picking easier exam boards, coursework based A levels and better teachers it's much easier to get 3 A's i.e. not as representative of true competency. I don't even think ABC with A in maths is worth less than BBB in Geography, Art and Psychology A level but it is by the points system, and it shouldn't matter to them anyway, they are just using it to whittle down the competition. Its also simply unfair because this doesn't make a better candidate at all; a degree gives a better idea of your intellect than what type of school you were in at 16+.
    Rant over but I will have to apply to smaller firms instead now. Appearing in the media (PwC) saying they've made changes lowering UCAS scores (in the Guardian) and in their printed brochure when its NOT true for the actuarial stream is naughty tho! Anyone know any good smaller firms for actuary for me and accounting for the previous gentleman snowydogh please respond!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.