Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, don't normally post to forums and when I do it's not about problems, but I'm feeling a bit stuck at the moment, and would really find some advice helpful!

First off, I'm in a shared partnership scheme for my first year accommodation; wasn't my first choice, and it wasn't on many people's list of choices at all. I'm living about 20 mins away from the main campus on the edge of the city, and it's one of the least social accommodations at my university. I don't see people about, there are rarely any parties, and it's what I assume living in a flat post-uni is like - People keeping to themselves and not really interacting with each other. This being said, the people in my flat are lovely, and we get on well when we see each other (I have relatively few contact hours, and they have about double mine). Despite this, its basically panned out that two of them are living with people from their course next year, which I've accepted makes more sense for them, seeing as they see each other all the time, and get on well. I've spoken to one of my flatmate's course-friends and they are also really nice, but as it stands there's not really any room for me next year on their flat (Which has been booked since mid-November.)

Whilst I know people on my course, and we speak quite often, it's not really anything beyond that. We don't have enough hours a week to really become good friends, seeing as my ten hours are dragged out over every day. The conventional wisdom seems to be to join societies, which I agree is one of my next courses of action, but as it stands societies don't start up for another week, and even when they do they often run events on the same night, at the same time, or really even only do monthly events. I did drama a lot in school, and that's how I met a lot of my friends back home, but I've missed both opportunities to audition, seeing as they did Spring auditions back in December (Which I didn't find out about, despite following their Facebook page.)

So I'm a long way from home, and I don't know that many people. (I admit I should have been far more active trying to meet people in the first semester, but I got too comfortable with my housemates.) It's January, we don't have lectures for two weeks due to upcoming exams, I'm pretty homesick and feeling generally ****ty, and I'm wondering whether I should take a year out and apply somewhere more campus-based. (I'm not even thinking about that until at least the start of February, and when I've discussed it with parents, and course reps)

There's a basic, and highly self-indulgent, run down of my problems, which I fully admit I'm partially responsible for. I guess I'm looking for a few answers, such as:

1. Am I alone in feeling this way? Did you have a similar experience?
    2. Did you, or anyone you know live in anti-social accommodation, and how did they deal with it?
    3. Do people transfer from big cities to smaller campus universities?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any responses would be so helpful.

P.S This may come across as a bit of a jumbled rant, so I can always try and simplify if it's too unclear about my actual situation, issues etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DelawareMountain)
    Hi everyone, don't normally post to forums and when I do it's not about problems, but I'm feeling a bit stuck at the moment, and would really find some advice helpful!

First off, I'm in a shared partnership scheme for my first year accommodation; wasn't my first choice, and it wasn't on many people's list of choices at all. I'm living about 20 mins away from the main campus on the edge of the city, and it's one of the least social accommodations at my university. I don't see people about, there are rarely any parties, and it's what I assume living in a flat post-uni is like - People keeping to themselves and not really interacting with each other. This being said, the people in my flat are lovely, and we get on well when we see each other (I have relatively few contact hours, and they have about double mine). Despite this, its basically panned out that two of them are living with people from their course next year, which I've accepted makes more sense for them, seeing as they see each other all the time, and get on well. I've spoken to one of my flatmate's course-friends and they are also really nice, but as it stands there's not really any room for me next year on their flat (Which has been booked since mid-November.)

Whilst I know people on my course, and we speak quite often, it's not really anything beyond that. We don't have enough hours a week to really become good friends, seeing as my ten hours are dragged out over every day. The conventional wisdom seems to be to join societies, which I agree is one of my next courses of action, but as it stands societies don't start up for another week, and even when they do they often run events on the same night, at the same time, or really even only do monthly events. I did drama a lot in school, and that's how I met a lot of my friends back home, but I've missed both opportunities to audition, seeing as they did Spring auditions back in December (Which I didn't find out about, despite following their Facebook page.)

So I'm a long way from home, and I don't know that many people. (I admit I should have been far more active trying to meet people in the first semester, but I got too comfortable with my housemates.) It's January, we don't have lectures for two weeks due to upcoming exams, I'm pretty homesick and feeling generally ****ty, and I'm wondering whether I should take a year out and apply somewhere more campus-based. (I'm not even thinking about that until at least the start of February, and when I've discussed it with parents, and course reps)

There's a basic, and highly self-indulgent, run down of my problems, which I fully admit I'm partially responsible for. I guess I'm looking for a few answers, such as:

1. Am I alone in feeling this way? Did you have a similar experience?
    2. Did you, or anyone you know live in anti-social accommodation, and how did they deal with it?
    3. Do people transfer from big cities to smaller campus universities?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any responses would be so helpful.

P.S This may come across as a bit of a jumbled rant, so I can always try and simplify if it's too unclear about my actual situation, issues etc.
    If your having real doubts and are unhappy and your course isn't right, the first year will make less impact on your finance in future unis if you drop out now. If your sure you want to drop out start your new ucas form now, you might have to apply late cause deadline is 15th.

I dropped out of the university I was in at Christmas because I was very sure it wasn't for me with double booked rooms, overcrowded labs and hard to live with flatmates'. In my halls I lived with nine other people in my flat and people from other flats were often over, we were in the center of Manchester. And from experience you can live around this many people and still feel lonely, I had friends on my course and at the pole dancing society. I would defiantly get in there with the societies if you want to stay at uni, be one of the people that gets a space that night!

You can transfer anywhere you want, in my case its from Manchester to closer to home a small agricultural college or maybe even Cornwall!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.