Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go travelling alone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Would you go on a city break or any other short trip by yourself if you had a few days spare?

I've been debating this as I have some time off. But I can't see myself enjoying it personally. Travelling for me has always been about sharing the experience with people. I like sightseeing with friends and discussing things. Conversation with people I know over dinner. Plus I am quite an anxious person, so I imagine I would feel a bit on edge throughout.

ReputationRep:
    I also really want to travel, but I am always worried about going alone. I don't know how much I'd enjoy it,, but still, I've heard many stories of people who have travelled alone and met loads of great people along the way. I'd be interested to hear what other people think

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to go travelling by myself.

ReputationRep:
    Not a short break but I did go off travelling Australia alone. Just met people along the way and eventually lived/worked in Sydney with some of them for a few months.

ReputationRep:
    yes. this is an easy question, it is much cheaper to go travelling by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat! I would love to go alone so I could do exactly what I wanted to do and because not of my friends are interested in this kind of thing but would be very anxious aha

ReputationRep:
    I've been round India, most of SE Asia and South America on my own. Loved it. Met loads of people along the way and have many crazy stories.

ReputationRep:
    If you are confident in yourself and aren't scared of solitude from those you know then why not?

I'll definitely be doing it when I get the chance, take it up man, you'll probably grow to love it! After all it's when you're on your own you can really put thought into what's around you and not get distracted.

ReputationRep:
    I would and I have and will do again in the future

I don't think everybody would enjoy it as much as I do though. It depends on the type of person you are as well as the type of travelling you'll be doing. For a short break sight-seeing/exploring type, you can definitely get away with going alone but for more group oriented/adventure holidays like Disney land or beach resorts, you might want to take some friends/family.

A lot of people say loneliness is something which puts them off travelling alone but from my experiences even when you travel alone, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be alone for the entirety of your trip. There will always be a chance to meet new people and best of all you meet people who are like you. That's if you want that, you don't have to meet people, some people enjoy time alone.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. Going to India on my own later this year.

There aren't many individuals I could tolerate travelling with except for my husband, and as we mostly want to travel to different places, some of those holidays will have to be solitary ones. We're fine with that.. having time alone is a good thing I think.

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to go travelling :daydreaming: Not sure if I'd be confident enough & if it's worth going on my own instead of with a bunch of friends though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ki Yung Na)
    If you are confident in yourself and aren't scared of solitude from those you know then why not?

I'll definitely be doing it when I get the chance, take it up man, you'll probably grow to love it! After all it's when you're on your own you can really put thought into what's around you and not get distracted.
    I really enjoy my time alone. I can spend days with books and coffee. But sightseeing, nightlife, food, dancing, hiking etc... Those are activities I would want to do with people I know. I am very introverted, but weirdly I see travel as a very social thing.

ReputationRep:
    I've travelled on my own before. I went to NZ on my own, and around Japan. I find that when I'm alone, I'm much more open to people around me. I end up talking to all sorts of people that I probably wouldn't have if I'd been with friends. I see opportunities and I can be much more spontaneous. Also travelling alone means you're in control of all the decisions relating to the trip. You don't have to compromise or put up with friends complaining they're tired or don't want to do something etc. Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely - it's a great way to meet new people when you're not confined to your own little friend circle.

ReputationRep:
    No way. I'm very much a loner, but travelling is one of those things I can't imagine doing alone just because it's nowhere near as much fun as it is with someone else.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nah I wouldn't fancy going alone, especially to a place far away from him. I can see why some people would like it though but personally I would prefer company

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I've done it twice and would happily do it again. I plan on doing a bit of travelling alone before settling down at the end of this year.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of interesting perspectives. The fact that I am scared of doing it is making me think I ought to try it.

ReputationRep:
    I totally would to certain countries. Not so much to others with less progressive views about women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    I really enjoy my time alone. I can spend days with books and coffee. But sightseeing, nightlife, food, dancing, hiking etc... Those are activities I would want to do with people I know. I am very introverted, but weirdly I see travel as a very social thing.
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    Lots of interesting perspectives. The fact that I am scared of doing it is making me think I ought to try it.
    I think the answer lies in your own words. Till now you've seen it as a social thing but you enjoy your time alone and as you said maybe it's time to experience a new perspective that the others have expressed!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.