Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi , I started a 4 yr course 2012/13 that includes foundation yr, 2013/ 14 repeated 1 module in the second semester and passed it this time , I transferred to a different uni onto a 3 yr degree for 2014/15. Now sfe are saying iv had i have to fund myself this year and they will fund yrs 2 and 3. how can i come up 9k tuition fees wtf. I was not informed about transferring between 4 and 3 yr courses but the could of told me in august and i would of applied for the 4 yr course . Can some one help me because i think this is unfair . are there any ways round this to get my tuition fee paid for this year please.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

Have you began the new 3 year course in the first year again? If so then you would need to self fund the first year. The way this is calculated is as follows:

- We take the ordinary duration of the course, which in this case is 3 years.
    - We then add on a +1 year which every student is entitled to.
    - We then deduct any previous study you have, which based on the information you have given is 2 years.

So, 3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years of funding only, which are always given in the final years of the course.

The only way we can consider paying fees for this year is if you can prove there were extenuating circumstances which caused you to leave the course. This evidence normally consists of a letter from the initial uni or a GP letter confirming why you had to leave the course if due to medical reasons.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    ok my first course was 4 yr plus 1yr for gift yr then i transferred onto a 3 yr course and now sfe will not fund it because i was not aware of there funding guidelines. SFE said to me that if i transferred onto another four yr course i would be ok but i was not told or made aware of this. because the uni do a four yr course so it would not been a problem now because its late in the yr they will not do it. Who would have 9k to spare anyway? Im from a council estate family on benefits. SFE have now ruined my life
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hello,

The issue is that you already have 2 years of previous study (your gift year plus an extra year). So even if you had transferred to a 4 year degree, using the above calculation, that would leave you with three years full funding left, which is always applied to the last three years, so you would still need to self fund this first year.

The previous study guidelines are given to us by the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills to ensure that all students have access to the same amount of funding, unless you can provide evidence for extenuating circumstances as detailed above, we will be unable to provide a tuition fee loan for this year.

Thanks

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.