Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE Options watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I am in year 9 trying to work out my GCSE choices. Earlier today, I had a parents evening which got rid of some options but not all.

We have to take:
    Maths
    English (Language and Liturature)
    RS
    Double Science
    One Language (French)

I have so far only decided on two out of my three choices and a reserve so I was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit of advice choosing the third option and a reserve choice?

Options I Am Going To Take:
    History
    Triple Science

Options I Can't Choose From:
    Art
    Product Design
    ICT
    Geography(I thought I was rubbish at it but turn out from the parents evening I'm actually quite good)

I am completely stuck and haven't got a clue what to choose. I have to make this choice by sometime in February so it would be amazing if anyone could help.

Thank you!!
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hey,

GCSE choices can be quite difficult, but what you have to think about is not only what you're 'good at' but also what you'll enjoy. Art is a very laborious choice with a hefty amount of homework and incredibly long exams -- it really does require a certain amount of skill if you wish to take it. Product Design can be quite interesting, but I didn't take it. From what I've heard, it can get quite repetitive and a little boring. ICT is usually a course that many, many GCSE students take. It's relatively simple and quite easy - you'll find yourself learning about web design, spreadsheets and the like. If you enjoy working with computers, you should find it enjoyable and fairly easy.
    Geography is quite a good course to take, there's a lot of content and a fair bit of coursework/prep to do for exams. If you're good at it and you enjoy it, go for it.

I can't really give much advice because it's a personal choice and it's really down to your personal preference. But make sure that you pick courses you'll engage in to achieve the best grades you possibly can for your exams.

Hope this helped a little!

ReputationRep:
    From your options I didn't take any of them - but it depends for each one.
    Geography is a good GCSE to have, its highly regarded by Universities for the future.
    Art takes a lot of time and dedication, so if you are good at it and are going to enjoy putting all the effort in, that would be an option.
    ICT is also a good option to take, in fact I wish I had taken it when I look back. It will be really useful for life in general as well as many careers that are looking for ICT skills. Basically I think ICT would be the most useful for later in life.
    Product Design all depends on whether you'd enjoy it. The coursework is mangeable.

With your options already, it would make sense to take a more creative subject like Art or product design to make things different. Having said that, it all depends on which one you would enjoy the most. But try not to close doors on possible careers you want to go down when you are older.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.