Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Opinions on going straight into private halls for first year? I'm accepted a place at Bournemouth University for September and was wondering if anyone has any experience of not going into halls for their accommodation?

As a gap year student, I'm looking at saving minimum £200 per fortnight from now till August, so how much roughly would did you pay for rent and also would a private landlord or company be easier?

Hi Dale_B_1996,

Congratulations on your offer! Bournemouth is a great uni and I have really enjoyed my time here so far!!

I am in currently in my first year of studying marketing communications at BU and I am living in the student village, which costs £106.88 per week, and I then usually spend £30 on food and another £30 on nights out! The student village is the cheapest accommodation offered by BU and it's literally next door to the whole of the Talbot campus, including the library and the 24 hour computer suite! One of my housemates saved money by not buying a laptop before uni as she knew she would be living in the student village and would have 24 hour access to computers and printers.

Another great advantage of being housed by the uni is that you will be housed with like-minded people who share similar interests based upon personality tests that you can take! Have you already arranged to live with others, or would you need to find other students? There are plenty of days where you can find housemates and houses together, you can also use social media to find people who you might want to live with.

I am currently looking into houses for my second year and the lowest prices per week are around £60, but this is not including all of your bills and of course the houses are not of the best quality! Some of the landlords can also be troublesome which may not be the best way to settle in! However I do know several people who spent their first year in private housing and they have enjoyed it!

It's definitely a good idea to save up some money before coming to uni, and you should definitely plan and stick to your budget. However I would strongly advise you to not worry about finance as student loans usually cover accommodation and a fair amount for maintenance!

Hope this helps, sorry that I do not have any direct experience of living in private accommodation during the first year, feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

there are advantaged and disadvantages

it will likely be cheaper, quieter, cleaner... you will be with people who tend to be a bit more respectful and mature

you will also be with less of your peers and have less social opportunities

if you're the sort of person who makes friends really easily and you plan on being involved in lots of societies living away probably wont matter (as long as you're prepared to travel to your friend's house)
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.