The Student Room Group

Flatmates issues, about kitchen cleaning

I feel so depressed today cause I was blamed by a staff from the cleaning team in the properties I live for our dirty kitchen. I feel so embarrassed that we couldn't work it out. Also, I got warning if we can't keep our kitchen clean, we won't get our deposit back and they may even kick us off.

I live in a student accommodation and there are four girls A, B, C and D as well as one boy in our flat. The cleaners in our accommodation offer the cleaning kitchen service fortnightly. And I guess that make some people think they can do nothing after using the kitchen since cleaning is not our work any more. As a result, our kitchen become sooo dirty that drive the cleaner mad.

I'm not going to point out who should really be responsible for that. Since evevyone must be a part of the story. What I'm trying to discuss is how to really solve the problem. You may think we are so mean on this issue, but I still believe it's good to go for some details if I'd like to really solve the problem. Also, If you have any similar experiences and coped with it well, please share the story.

Each girl collect own litter following an agreement and throw it away whenever one likes. And that makes
-there are at least four packs of the litter in the kitchen.
-some girls may accumulate more than one pack of litter.
Yes,you may say the rule should be everyone throws litter on duty and just keep the litter in a big bin. However, we found it's unfair for those using the kitchen less frequently and started to make the agreement two months ago.

For example, the boy seldom uses the kitchen, he only drinks milk and have fruits in the kitchen. So he isn't a part of the agreement or maybe he doesn't even know the agreement. Thus he never throws the litter even before we making the agreement and now he just puts his litter in any girls' bags randomly. He is really selfish arrogant tbh and I have few talks with him.
We'll talk about it with him on this issue.

Girl A is from a different background which isn't that important in this issue but I think different cultures may lead to various behaviors. In other word, some of her behaviors just make me so confused. Girl A never throws litter before we made the agreement. The worse thing is she also put some bags of litter from her room into the big bin in our kitchen. After that, I threw it once for her and very typically like today, she put three bags of litter from her room aside by two bags of her kitchen litter. I can also saw the fruit peel or old cloths simply on the floor. She was told not to put the room litter into the big bin and she began to pile it on the floor. I helped her threw it away in front of the cleaner today. Another less serious problem, she went back very late with friends and have some food without putting them away and leave the packages and dirty dishes in the sink for at least two days almost everyday.

You may ask, why not have a straightforward talk?
-I don't want to hurt my flatmates' feeling.
-I'm imperfect as well and I'm not qualified to say that.

Girl B, I talked to her that we should put all our food, dishes and all other stuffs outside of cupboard and fridge away. She also agreed to clean the stuffs after using. I don't think it's hard to deal with her problems.

Girl C, she is a little lazy really, more than a little. She has a lot of food in the kitchen and sometimes cook. But every time she cooks, it's a big dinner with strong flavor. The kitchen would be very smelly and the oil and soup pouring on the stove. She is very stubborn and really believes cleaning kitchen should be the cleaners' work and she only cleans the table after using it. She also puts the food full of the fridge or outside but that doesn't bother me. She gave me tens of excuses when I talk to her and I really don't know how to do it. e.g. she said our kitchen is already clean and tiny compared with that in her flat last year; as long as the kitchen can be used and that's fine since she doesnt live in the kitchen; other flatmates also have faults she is not the worst. She piles the litters both in her own room and in the kitchen , that's just her life style. She seldoms threw the litter before our agreement but she is a good girl to some extent.

Girl D, okay, me. I have to admit, recently, I don't throw the kitchen litter or milk bottle until two shopping bags are full (What a shame!). I have bread, fruit and veg as well as toasting fish, beef and potaoes. So I don't make the kitchen dirty. I didn't clean the microwave after using but I did change that one week ago after I was informed of it. I don't have a lot of food in the kitchen but sometimes I pouring water on the table without cleaning it.

The end
Before I draw any conclusions, what sort of milk is being mentioned here? I'm more of a semi-skinned kind of guy and therefore can only relate to that.
This doesn't make any sense. Why do you (seem to) all have individual bin bags?! What is 'litter'?!
None of this make any sense.

You are all being petty little children. Sit down and sort it out or don't moan about it. If it was that big of a problem for you, you would have dealt with it.

I live in a house with 4 other guys, we have not argued once since we moved in together. Because we are not children, we are adults and when adults have an issue they talk.

Sort your **** out.
Original post by DiddyDec
None of this make any sense.

You are all being petty little children. Sit down and sort it out or don't moan about it. If it was that big of a problem for you, you would have dealt with it.

I live in a house with 4 other guys, we have not argued once since we moved in together. Because we are not children, we are adults and when adults have an issue they talk.

Sort your **** out.

We did talk, but we don't point out every single person's problems since that may hurt other flatmates' feeling. We're very friendly to each other though...
Original post by sparkysarmy
Before I draw any conclusions, what sort of milk is being mentioned here? I'm more of a semi-skinned kind of guy and therefore can only relate to that.

4 pints, 2 pints or less, very often you can see them
Original post by tnetennba
This doesn't make any sense. Why do you (seem to) all have individual bin bags?! What is 'litter'?!

We found it's unfair if someone doesn't use kitchen for a month but still throw the 'rubbish' for others. So we made an agreement that each girl only collected own everyday rubbish in a shopping bag.
Thank you for your guys above. Maybe you're right, we're too naive on this issue or you may say we're irresponsilble. Anyway, we do need to sit down and have a talk. I'll do that now.
Original post by lraul
We did talk, but we don't point out every single person's problems since that may hurt other flatmates' feeling. We're very friendly to each other though...

Might hurt their feelings? Tough, if you are at risk of getting kicked out of your accommodation, hurting peoples feelings should be the least of your concern.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lraul
We found it's unfair if someone doesn't use kitchen for a month but still throw the 'rubbish' for others. So we made an agreement that each girl only collected own everyday rubbish in a shopping bag.

How can you not use the kitchen for a month? Surely everyone must use it everyday to eat.
Original post by lraul

Friendly doesn't really cut it I'm afraid. You need to sit down together and talk it out - facts are facts. I think it's better to have one litter bag than several and that everyone needs to take responsibility and be adults. Maybe you can all have a big clean-up where everyone cleans the kitchen together and then understands that after they make something, they need to clean it up and that one person is in charge of cleaning the hobs and oven whilst someone else can do worktops and someone else can do the floor, and maybe someone else can clean the fridge and microwave. If you split the chores up, then you can do it faster and more efficiently. No point in beating around the bush and being afraid to hurt someone's feelings - you're in danger of being kicked out so you all need to come together. Get straight to the point and grow up.:smile::biggrin:
Original post by lraul

Are you talking about 'taking out the bins'?
How old are you all? Sounds like you are all about 16.
Original post by DiddyDec
How can you not use the kitchen for a month? Surely everyone must use it everyday to eat.

I guess kicking out words are not very serious and no staffs came to talk us today. If I'm not on speaking terms with my flatmates, that makes our lives more tough and that's why we can't make everything clear. There must be some ways work things out better than push.

It happens really. When one girl has an essay, she may only have breakfast in the flat and then eat out on campus. Or a girl has a part-time job in the restarant and she has only has the take-away in the flat at night sometimes.
Original post by manjotboyal
Friendly doesn't really cut it I'm afraid. You need to sit down together and talk it out - facts are facts. I think it's better to have one litter bag than several and that everyone needs to take responsibility and be adults. Maybe you can all have a big clean-up where everyone cleans the kitchen together and then understands that after they make something, they need to clean it up and that one person is in charge of cleaning the hobs and oven whilst someone else can do worktops and someone else can do the floor, and maybe someone else can clean the fridge and microwave. If you split the chores up, then you can do it faster and more efficiently. No point in beating around the bush and being afraid to hurt someone's feelings - you're in danger of being kicked out so you all need to come together. Get straight to the point and grow up.:smile::biggrin:

Yes, you're right. We did chores together before and that's really good. Also, we promised to clean the things after using and everyone respect to other people today. Maybe we're on the right way now. But tbh, it's really hard for me to get straight to the point. For example, if refer to someone doesnt clean the worktop, I would say she is rough and careless and that's her lifesyle, blabla...
Original post by tnetennba
Are you talking about 'taking out the bins'?

What I mean is to send the rubbish from kitchen to the city council's rubbish collection point.
Original post by lraul
I guess kicking out words are not very serious and no staffs came to talk us today. If I'm not on speaking terms with my flatmates, that makes our lives more tough and that's why we can't make everything clear. There must be some ways work things out better than push.

It happens really. When one girl has an essay, she may only have breakfast in the flat and then eat out on campus. Or a girl has a part-time job in the restarant and she has only has the take-away in the flat at night sometimes.

You should try and all eat together at least once a week. It will improve social cohesion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending