Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I am doing my PGCE from Brunel. My 1st assignment i got F, i will have to redo. Other Assignment which is a short research with presentation and has 30 credit, i am not feeling very satisfied after giving the presentation. I was grilled with so many questions going into the specific policies, code or practise - which i only gone through briefly and wasn't expecting that i am suppose to read each and every policy in detail .

So overall both my experiences with assignments were not good.

About my placement 1st one - i have 3 'Good' and 5 'Require improvements' grades. I have started with my 2nd placement now

I am doing PGCE in Maths, and also my education is not from UK. This was the 1st ever Assignment i did. The reasons i was given for F grade were mainly not proper literature references. I explained the thing, grammar wise it was okay, but references to books and quotes from author were not enough.

I feel you cannot expect a Maths PGCE and for eg. a English PGCE student (or native English speaker) to be graded with a same criteria. I fully agree you should have a reasonable command in English which i have but expecting a Maths student to write nice assignments in English and giving nice presentation on general education topics i feel is not right.

I still feel my assignment was not that bad. It was nicely written, i checked other students assignment as well, the only differences were mine was a simple English and other had mainly taking about authors and their quotations.

My question is - What are the passing rate for PGCE in maths ? I feel i can get good grades in my 2nd placement but my worry is with the Assignments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mutenmax)
    Hi All,

I am doing my PGCE from Brunel. My 1st assignment i got F, i will have to redo. Other Assignment which is a short research with presentation and has 30 credit, i am not feeling very satisfied after giving the presentation. I was grilled with so many questions going into the specific policies, code or practise - which i only gone through briefly and wasn't expecting that i am suppose to read each and every policy in detail .

So overall both my experiences with assignments were not good.

About my placement 1st one - i have 3 'Good' and 5 'Require improvements' grades. I have started with my 2nd placement now

I am doing PGCE in Maths, and also my education is not from UK. This was the 1st ever Assignment i did. The reasons i was given for F grade were mainly not proper literature references. I explained the thing, grammar wise it was okay, but references to books and quotes from author were not enough.

I feel you cannot expect a Maths PGCE and for eg. a English PGCE student (or native English speaker) to be graded with a same criteria. I fully agree you should have a reasonable command in English which i have but expecting a Maths student to write nice assignments in English and giving nice presentation on general education topics i feel is not right.

I still feel my assignment was not that bad. It was nicely written, i checked other students assignment as well, the only differences were mine was a simple English and other had mainly taking about authors and their quotations.

My question is - What are the passing rate for PGCE in maths ? I feel i can get good grades in my 2nd placement but my worry is with the Assignments.
    As a teacher, regardless of what subject you teach, you will be expected to write often. You will write reports, letters to parents etc. Excellent literacy skills are essential for any teacher. If you want to teach in an English-speaking country, you must meet the same standards that native speaking teachers do. I think in order to pass these assignments, you need to work a bit harder on your written English. Sorry but I can see a lot of mistakes in what you've written above.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes i agree with you that to teach here we should be good in English in both verbal and written English. That is why there courses have eligibility criteria (Minimum B in English GCSE) and skills tests (again English test) - which i believe test at least your minimum standards in English.

I feel you are rating me as 1 out of 10 in my English. If you compare with the native English speakers, hardly 1 in 10000 non native English speaker can beat a native English speaker in English.

Like i said my assignments were not that bad. I am not that bad in English also. I can write reports, letters to parents etc but i agree i may not be 100% accurate, but will definitely be above 90%. Also to write these reports and letters you don't need a A* in English.

But writing an long article in English on some education topic or giving presentation on these topics you don't get that confidence because
    a. this is not your subject
    b. English is not your native language so you don't feel that comfortable and can't impress by talking something out of context and showing you are confident.

Ask any doubts in Maths i should be able to explain that to you in English very easily, i can easily do arguments on a Maths topic but on Education/ school policies etc i can understand them but may not be able to do nice presentations. This doesn't mean i will be very bad, but yes i wont be that impressive.

My only argument is, a secondary Maths teacher may not be able to write a very good assignment in English and should not be rated purely on that. You can set minimum standards but don't expect his assignment would be comparable to someone who is an English teacher.

Some students i know prepared assignment in few hours and passed - I have read their assignment and if i compare their assignment with mine i feel mine was not bad either. Those students had done assignments in the past so they knew what and how to write these. Definitely just by reading few hours you can't say that he has better knowledge than me, as he is a native English speaker he was more comfortable writing assignment.

My assignment was not failed on English grammar, or bad phrases. it was on the basis that i didn't support my statement using references. I wrote my assignment in my own words and didn't use any authors quotations or references which other students knew. My harvard referencing were wrong, it was not in an alphabetical order. I got feedback after i submitted my 2nd assignment so 2nd assignment also now has same mistakes.

Anyway my original question was : Does anyone know the passing rate in PGCE. If i get a good feedback from my 2nd placement and my assignments are okay (average or below average) what are my chances.

Also would love to know many mistakes i did in my previous post apart from spelling. I wrote the post very quickly so expect some silly mistakes or slang though.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    When I did my maths PGCE I had not written an essay for five years (sixth form and university). However I soon found I needed to write at the same level as everyone else.

Good writing is essential for a maths teacher and you need to look up Harvard referencing so you get it right next time. I'm a little surprised you were not given any guidelines on this but you know now.

Completion rates vary from course to course, so focus on passing the assignments and getting more lessons graded as 'good'.

A PGCE is a qualification which has a common standard as it's a qualifcation to teach; my certificate does not even have a subject on.

ReputationRep:
    There were guidelines given but it was a in 40 slides presentation with many slides having links to go and read further long articles/ documents which usually people ignore.

I thought we just need to use Harvard referencing so looked for an on line referencing generator without going deep into all what other things are required in it - like i missed that all the references should be in alphabetical order, just not put references in the bottom but also need to put references within the text where these are used for both books and the site.

I would say i was more stressed about the actual topic, searching finding and reading about them, than about these boilerplate stuff. may be because this is my first assignment

Yes i agree it was my mistake but F is too much for it

I know i won't be able to write like you guys write. You people are very good in writing, i cant reach your level of writing definately but do i need to be at that level for Maths or a B grade in English should also be acceptable as long as you are Master in your subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mutenmax)
    Thanks for the reply. Yes i agree with you that to teach here we should be good in English in both verbal and written English. That is why there courses have eligibility criteria (Minimum B in English GCSE) and skills tests (again English test) - which i believe test at least your minimum standards in English.

I feel you are rating me as 1 out of 10 in my English. If you compare with the native English speakers, hardly 1 in 10000 non native English speaker can beat a native English speaker in English.

Like i said my assignments were not that bad. I am not that bad in English also. I can write reports, letters to parents etc but i agree i may not be 100% accurate, but will definitely be above 90%. Also to write these reports and letters you don't need a A* in English.

But writing an long article in English on some education topic or giving presentation on these topics you don't get that confidence because
    a. this is not your subject
    b. English is not your native language so you don't feel that comfortable and can't impress by talking something out of context and showing you are confident.

Ask any doubts in Maths i should be able to explain that to you in English very easily, i can easily do arguments on a Maths topic but on Education/ school policies etc i can understand them but may not be able to do nice presentations. This doesn't mean i will be very bad, but yes i wont be that impressive.

My only argument is, a secondary Maths teacher may not be able to write a very good assignment in English and should not be rated purely on that. You can set minimum standards but don't expect his assignment would be comparable to someone who is an English teacher.

Some students i know prepared assignment in few hours and passed - I have read their assignment and if i compare their assignment with mine i feel mine was not bad either. Those students had done assignments in the past so they knew what and how to write these. Definitely just by reading few hours you can't say that he has better knowledge than me, as he is a native English speaker he was more comfortable writing assignment.

My assignment was not failed on English grammar, or bad phrases. it was on the basis that i didn't support my statement using references. I wrote my assignment in my own words and didn't use any authors quotations or references which other students knew. My harvard referencing were wrong, it was not in an alphabetical order. I got feedback after i submitted my 2nd assignment so 2nd assignment also now has same mistakes.

Anyway my original question was : Does anyone know the passing rate in PGCE. If i get a good feedback from my 2nd placement and my assignments are okay (average or below average) what are my chances.

Also would love to know many mistakes i did in my previous post apart from spelling. I wrote the post very quickly so expect some silly mistakes or slang though.

Thanks
    Well I don't recall telling you that your English was 1/10 but I'm just telling you I saw lots of mistakes. If you insist on a list, I read capitalisation of common nouns, non-capitalisation of pronouns, constant missing out of definite/indefinite articles, incorrect tenses, incorrect subject-verb agreement, incorrect prepositions and incorrect SPG. My point was that writing assignments are part of academic life. You must have known before signing up to the course that you would be expected to write lengthy essays (some at master level) on various education topics that may or may not interest you. Every PGCE student will have to do them regardless of their subject, and they need to be passed in order to progress through the course. If you're struggling, you should speak to your tutor and ask for more guidance about what's expected. As long as you pass them, the assignments aren't really important compared to the teaching side of the course.

ReputationRep:
    You've pointed out that your biggest problem was related to referencing (or lack thereof). Leaving aside your written English, as clearly that wasn't why you didn't do well, I think you just need to accept that these assignments are part of the PGCE.

They are intended to ensure you have a broad understanding of issues relating to child development, educational theory, current government guidelines etc. All of these are essential to being a good teacher.

As far as referencing, a basic aspect of all academic writing is to show that you have read around the subject at hand and can contribute your own opinions and ideas relating to the published materials. This means you need to directly quote and paraphrase from books, journals and websites etc. Every time you do this, you must clearly and accurately reference where the original quote or idea came from.

If you had no references (or very few) then you have either been plagiarised other people's ideas and presenting them as your own, or you simply haven't bothered to do any reading at all and therefore have no way of understanding current research and theory relating to the topic of your assignment.

Sorry I can't tell you any numbers for pass rate, but you seemed to need some clarification on why the assignments are important and what the purpose of referencing is, so hopefully this response has been at least somewhat useful / interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i understand the basic idea behind these assignments, but i still would like to point out few things

For a 1500 words assignment, if it is 1501 that is wrong. It cannot be a single word more than 1500
    Harvard referencing should be in alphabetical order.
    Minor grammatical mistakes - There can be typo. We are not writing some laws for the country which has to be 100% accurate. We need written skills not that kind of skills.
    There were students who prepared the assignment in few hours and passed, the reason, they knew, what all is needed to write an assignment - few quotes from book and their references.

I read their assignments i felt the topic was NOT explained nicely at all... after every one sentence one quote and the author was referred, (he argues.. they argue..... he said that.. ) even if it is not required, but now i understand why it was done that way.

Plagiarism can happen in this case also - i can copy someone's assignment which has proper references done - how can you prove in this case the assignment is not plagiarised .

The way i did was .. I looked at the question.. tried to understand, then referred several sites, read several explanations and then summarized what i finally understood from all those, in my own language.. But this is not what was required - they don't need understanding - they need references.

I am quite sure not all who pass understand the topics properly but yes
    a. they have an advantage of how to write good English
    b. they know what is needed in an assignment.

Overall i agree it was my mistake. I didn't know how these things work. Lets see what grade i get in my 2nd assignment.

Thank you all for your replies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.