Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

RAF intelligence analyst vs Flight Ops officer watch

I am 27 year old male wishing to pursue a career in the RAF. I applied for intelligence officer but unfortunately didn't score high enough for this on the aptitude test at Cranwell.I am now considering applying for either flight ops officer or intelligence analyst. There isn't a huge amount of information about what a flight ops officer does on a day to day basis provided by afco whereas the intelligence analyst is more detailed. I am interested in current affairs both domestically and globally, plus I have leadership qualities and experience; I currently run my own business and have held managerial positions.My concern is as an intelligience analyst I would recieve a lot more BS as an airman, especially as a 27/28 year old, plus the money isn't as good! However from what I can workout this is a more varied and interesing role than that of a flight ops officer. As an officer I would have more responsibility but from I've read on forums this role isn't the most challenging. This is a big decision for me to make not just for me but for my son and fiancée so if anyone can shed any light on either position from their experience that would be very much appreciated.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Tommycraig)
    You've summed it up fairly well. Flight Ops is pretty much at the bottom of the Officer roles. Int An is one of the top Airman roles. If you are interested in Int, then you aren't going to get there from Flight Ops, but you might well from Int An.

You are going to have to decide if you want money and responsibility now, but perhaps a less engaging career, or an engaging career, but the potential for less money and responsibility unless you can get a commission.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2015
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.