The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The UCL PPE thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Handles
I don't have a quarrel with any university offering PPE wanting an A-Level in Maths, it seems perfectly logical. I just don't understand why it has to be an A* for UCL and LSE, when an A* in Economics would seem far more understandable. I feel like I could get an A in Maths (generally getting around 92+ for C1, low 80s for C2), but I don't think I could manage an A*. Stranger things have happened though, I guess.

I think none of these universities requires that A level Economics be had at all. It's always the way at the better unis that Economics departments require A-level Maths and treat A level Economics only as any other subject.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by cambio wechsel
I think none of these universities requires that A level Economics be had at all. It's always the way at the better unis that Economics departments require A-level Maths and treat A level Economics only as any other subject.

Hmm, okay. I didn't know that. I assumed it was necessary to have Economics (though I know Oxford doesn't say so).
Mod note: Please remember that this is a thread to discuss the new PPE degree at UCL, not the relative merits of Warwick vs Kings vs Oxford, or even #Woxbridge.
Original post by Handles
Hmm, okay. I didn't know that. I assumed it was necessary to have Economics (though I know Oxford doesn't say so).

A level maths implies a sympathy (and capacity) for quantitative work. A level Economics, though I think no department has any bias against it, is unneeded and can even prove for the receiving department a pain in the arse because:

1. Unless you're going to make it a formal requirement for entry (which too much narrows the field) then you have an entry cohort with very different levels of prior exposure to the subject.

2. There's a danger of having to reteach and even unteach what has been taught by an Economics teacher at school.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Mod note: Please remember that this is a thread to discuss the new PPE degree at UCL, not the relative merits of Warwick vs Kings vs Oxford, or even #Woxbridge.

;(
Original post by yl95
;(

If you want to discuss the topic, you are quite free to start a new thread so long as it complies with all the usual rules :smile:
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you want to discuss the topic, you are quite free to start a new thread so long as it complies with all the usual rules :smile:

I was joking, haha. It was plain banter but sorry for going off topic.
Original post by Handles
I don't have a quarrel with any university offering PPE wanting an A-Level in Maths, it seems perfectly logical. I just don't understand why it has to be an A* for UCL and LSE, when an A* in Economics would seem far more understandable. I feel like I could get an A in Maths (generally getting around 92+ for C1, low 80s for C2), but I don't think I could manage an A*. Stranger things have happened though, I guess.

LSE do ask for UMS in Maths for Economics, just saying.
A level maths implies a sympathy (and capacity) for quantitative work. A level Economics, though I think no department has any bias against it, is unneeded and can even prove for the receiving department a pain in the arse because:

1. Unless you're going to make it a formal requirement for entry (which too much narrows the field) then you have an entry cohort with very different levels of prior exposure to the subject.

2. There's a danger of having to reteach and even unteach what has been taught by an Economics teacher at school.

Original post by maskofsanity
Maths A-level is far more useful due to the amount of calculus/algebra/quantitative work you will undergo in econ modules at a top university like UCL. Economics A-level is pretty useless for econ modules.

The good thing about PPE of course, is that you can tailor your degree to avoid or focus on quantitative modules.

Well this isn't great to hear. Are you saying I shouldn't have taken Economics?

And even if I was to get an A* in A-Level Maths, do you know if it's still true that you need a foreign language GCSE to get into UCL? If so... I can't get in.
Original post by Handles
Well this isn't great to hear. Are you saying I shouldn't have taken Economics?

Not a bit of it. If you want to do a degree in Economics then presumably Economics is something you find interesting, and that's a great reason to pick a subject for A level. Nice one.

As much as we're telling you is that Economics admissions are looking only for "Maths+2". Economics A level isn't required and confers no advantage for winning entry.
Not a bit of it. If you want to do a degree in Economics then presumably Economics is something you find interesting, and that's a great reason to pick a subject for A level. Nice one.

As much as we're telling you is that Economics admissions are looking only for "Maths+2". Economics A level isn't required and confers no advantage for winning entry.

Oh! Good. Well I also take History (not sure if I mentioned that earlier), which is a pretty strong A-Level, I believe. I currently take Product Design as well, which was definitely a mistake, but I could spin it to relate the theory side to some parts of Economics. Definitely dropping it at the end of this year, though.

I feel like I'm throwing the topic even further off-topic. I apologise.
Original post by Handles
I don't have a quarrel with any university offering PPE wanting an A-Level in Maths, it seems perfectly logical. I just don't understand why it has to be an A* for UCL and LSE, when an A* in Economics would seem far more understandable.

Seem is the key word here. Degree level economics is very mathematical and really not that similar to A level economics. That's the reason why Maths A* would be considered more important than econ: it has more carryover to what is actually happening on the degree.
Original post by The Blind Monk
Seem is the key word here. Degree level economics is very mathematical and really not that similar to A level economics. That's the reason why Maths A* would be considered more important than econ: it has more carryover to what is actually happening on the degree.

So why isn't Economics at A-Level more mathematical? Is it just so that more people can take it without needing an in-depth understanding of maths?
I have no idea. I'm just commenting based on my experience doing both economics a level and a bit of Econ in my first year at UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Handles
So why isn't Economics at A-Level more mathematical? Is it just so that more people can take it without needing an in-depth understanding of maths?

According to the news, Economics will be impacted as part of the wider A-level reform process. More maths will be involved as well as the 'role of the central bank and financial regulation' will be introduced.

I wonder what the impact of UCL AND LSE introducing PPE will have on applicants who were otherwise planning to apply for the degree at Oxford, York and Durham.
Original post by Handles

Yes.
Original post by NikolaT
According to the news, Economics will be impacted as part of the wider A-level reform process. More maths will be involved as well as the 'role of the central bank and financial regulation' will be introduced.

I wonder what the impact of UCL AND LSE introducing PPE will have on applicants who were otherwise planning to apply for the degree at Oxford, York and Durham.

That sounds like a good idea. One of the few things I would agree with Gove on.

It'll be interesting to see. LSE is renowned for economics because, well, it's in the name, so I imagine they'll get quite a large amount of applicants. UCL perhaps not so much because it's only recently been announced, and many people looking at PPE will probably have already drafted up a list of places they want to go to. And there's also the fact that both unis are in London, so it would be expensive to live there. I can't see Oxford's applicants decreasing, especially as they're the only one not to ask for an A*, though I'd imagine it's likely that many offers would still include them. Not so sure about York and Durham, other than the fact that Durham is extremely popular at my Sixth Form!
I'm so annoyed this is only happening this year. Why not a year earlier? :frown: I'd be prepared to take a gap year to apply for PPE at both these unis, but I'm nearing the end of mine, so it's not exactly an option...
Original post by dreamer959
I'm so annoyed this is only happening this year. Why not a year earlier? :frown: I'd be prepared to take a gap year to apply for PPE at both these unis, but I'm nearing the end of mine, so it's not exactly an option...

If you want it that bad, could you not apply for a transfer after your first year?
Original post by NikolaT
If you want it that bad, could you not apply for a transfer after your first year?

I'm actually looking into it, because right now I'm in a bit of a weird place in terms of uni :smile: But it's funny: I leave my middle school-they get a new gym, I leave my sixth-form-they get a brand new huge library, I leave UCAS-new, awesome courses appear :P

Am I the only one getting a feeling that this is a good business move, on part of UCL and LSE? I know plenty of people who applied to PPE at Oxford, and Econ/Govt or Econ/Phil at UCL and LSE. It looks a bit like they're trying to create additional spaces just to accomodate the demand and make some more money, given how popular they are with international students.
I hate this so much.

Why are they so slow with this. I got into ESPS at UCL because it was the next best thing besides PPE, and literally I hate studying languages: I just want a normal PPE degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending