Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Planning to go interrailing at the end of May for 21 days. Purchasing the 10 stops in 21 days interrail band.

Looking to stop at Amsterdam, Paris, Munich, Berlin, Prague, Croatia, Budapest, Bratislava.. and considering Krakow and Zurich.

We are looking for advice regarding train routes, i.e. what is the best route to take and information regarding pre-booking trains and hostels.

We are also looking for advice on a potential budget? We plan to stay in cheap hostels and eat cheap food, so potentially a low cost budget.

Anyone who has been, could you offer any advice/tips re travel equipment/train routes/costs etc?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sounds like your planning a great trip! I've done 2 interrailing trips in the past and have been to all the places you have mentioned except from Zurich (we went to another place in Switzerland)

For both my trips we just booked the cheapest flights available in 2 countries then linked them up with the interrailing pass.

I'm not sure of the best order to do the places you suggest, perhaps Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Bratislava then head down to Croatia?

This does miss out Munich & Zurich though.

We booked any overnight trains we needed before we left (we went from budapest up to krakow) but mostly when we arrive at a new place went straight to the ticket office to find out details for the next day.

You can do it on a budget easily, i think our hostels averaged at £14/15 a night and we stuck to a tight limit per day but still got to do and see loads!

I would highly recommend going on the free walking tours in each city (especially Berlin - it is amazing!!!) on the first morning you get to a place as this will mean you know where to go and they give you great tips on cheap places to eat and go and see.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Skip Bratislava, not much to see there, that's a lot of travelling though in a short amount of space and you'll spend half your time on trains instead of enjoying the cities. I'd slash half of those cities of your list, quality not quantity and all that.

What city do you want to start @?

There is a train that goes from Berlin to Budapest via Prague and Bratislava.

From Budapest you can go on a train to Zagreb but Zagreb is not worth visiting really; it's only worth it to break up the journey to Split and Dubrovnik.

It's a good 6 hours to Zagreb as well from Budapest, maybe more,

You could fly to Budapest and work your way to Paris and then get the train back to England from Paris. Or fly home.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.