Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I did my application to "a top investment bank" for a summer internship I predicted myself a 1st. At the time I sent it off I was on a high-ish 2:1. My thinking was that I'd be able to drag it up if I needed to. Since that time though I handed in an big essay a week late (taking a massive penalty) and had an average exam, so am now on a below average 2:1.

In general I don't care about getting a 2:1, I don't work hard enough to deserve a 1st haha and my extra-curriculars + previous experience are good, but now I'm through to the final round of interviews for the aforementioned top investment bank.

Basically I'm worried that if I get it and accept it (which I definitely would) I'll get done by the background check and then have nothing to do in summer because everywhere else will be/is already closed.

So just asking about experience of those who've been through the background check process? (ie. will they notice and if so will they care?) And generally for advice?

(not just not to lie, that much is clear)

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt everyone predict themselves a 1st on these things? I know I did, and I got a 2:1 in every year at uni (and wasn't really trying for more). I mean you still have 2 years of your degree left - in theory, there's no reason why you cant get a 1st.

Dont think you have too much to worry about tbh. So far have only ever heard of grad offers being conditional on academics, and they're always 2:1 minimum.

edit: A more succint answer (as the poster below hints at), is that the veracity of what grade you predict yourself for your degree is not one of the things they'll be checking in a background check. So you got nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    It's a prediction on your grades, not a false CRB check.

Chill.

ReputationRep:
    No worries at all. I always predicted myself a 1st, got a 2:1 in the end and sailed through the pre-employment screening for my employer. They really don't care about that. You'll laugh when you eventually see what people get away with.

ReputationRep:
    Ah cheers guys, set my mind at rest!

ReputationRep:
    And you predicted it before your essay and exam - you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.