Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any suggestions on instruments that are fairly easy to teach yourself to play...possilbly a woodwind instrument. I need a new challenge I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)
    Has anyone got any suggestions on instruments that are fairly easy to teach yourself to play...possilbly a woodwind instrument. I need a new challenge I think.
    The recorder is the easiest instrument to play, so if your not too confident about starting, try that.
    They are cheap to get too, so if you give up, it wont mean you've spent serious cash on something.

ReputationRep:
    the guitar isn't too bad to learn- you only need to learn about 4 chords to be able to sing/play some basic tunes.

ReputationRep:
    Guitar and piano are easy to teach yourself to an extent, but after a while, you'll probably reach a roof on your natural ability where you'll need tuition.

Woodwind instruments are very tough to teach yourself, though you could get lessons for a while to pick up the basics then try to continue.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I always enjoyed the Ocarina personally....dead easy to pick up but quite limited range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Guitar and piano are easy to teach yourself to an extent, but after a while, you'll probably reach a roof on your natural ability where you'll need tuition.

Woodwind instruments are very tough to teach yourself, though you could get lessons for a while to pick up the basics then try to continue.
    People have been telling me that for ages but I dont agree with it. If you buy the right books and use the resources of the net (many guitar magazines come with video tutorials now) there is no reason why you need to pay for tuition. After all, Hendrix and Satriani were both self taught guitarists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    People have been telling me that for ages but I dont agree with it. If you buy the right books and use the resources of the net (many guitar magazines come with video tutorials now) there is no reason why you need to pay for tuition. After all, Hendrix and Satriani were both self taught guitarists.
    as is brian may.

why not try the harmonica? that's about as easy as it gets - you just blow or suck in depending on what note you're playing. oh, and you move the harmonica a few millimetres to one side as well!

ReputationRep:
    Dunno.....am away to learn ther bass and electric guitar and it aint that hard aparently. Especially the bass guitar coz you only gotta play one chord at a time and the electric guitar....well thats more than one chord lol. I owuld recommend the bass if ya wanna learn the guitar and if not then try thr flute!

ReputationRep:
    I played the recorder at primary school and found it very easy to learn how to play the flute. The finger patterns for the notes are extremely similar, just need to get the hang of the mouthpiece/blowing technique. From playing the flute I have also taught myself to play the saxophone. Again the finger patterns for the notes are similar. Good luck...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions

I can already play the recorder so im looking for something other than that. I dont want/cant spent too much money so everything will be second hand etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions

I can already play the recorder so im looking for something other than that. I dont want/cant spent too much money so everything will be second hand etc.
    I think you should learn to play the flute.

ReputationRep:
    Pink oboe.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever tooted on the pink oboe Howard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Have you ever tooted on the pink oboe Howard?
    Not personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Pink oboe.
    ROFL!! :rolleyes:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.