Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay. So this year, my Sixth Form decided to introduce Psychology to the subjects they offer. I chose it. I'm doing it and am nearing my first mock exam. However, I am having one problem with the subject. My teacher. My teacher is absolutely horrible. He has no idea of what he is doing and seems insistent that he has complete control. It's also clear he has a personal vendetta against me and some others because we don't like the way he is teaching. My mocks are next week and almost the whole class knows absolutely nothing about the course from him. The first 8 weeks was spent learning how to draw mind maps and some reading stuff that was prioritised as more important than the content. He always tells us that we should be doing independent study. I know that is what we have to do, but some of the work should be done by teachers in class too.
    Now, onto the more important bit.
    Seeing as Psychology was only just introduced. The school was unable to find a Psychology teacher in time. So, they decided to use the music teacher (He's who I've been talking about). He has a music degree and tells us that he has a degree inPsychology In Music.
    Does that mean he is qualified enough to teach an actual Psychology course?
    (The school has received multiple complaints from us about him, and they have brought in a teacher who is in the class, but she will not be taking over until next year, and until then it is a "transition period".)
    Thanks!
    (And if Mr. Bott*** happens to read this. **** you, you lazy ****)

ReputationRep:
    It's your school's problem.
    In the meantime, read through your specification, know what you need to know.

ReputationRep:
    Does he have a PGCE?

A teacher, although more beneficial, doesn't specifically have to teach the subject he or she has a degree in.

If he has a PGCE he should of been shown how to create and teach lesson plans and such.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what you're school is like but when when we had absolutely terrible teachers who the whole class complained about (both formally and through informal chats with other teachers), they still did nothing about it and we were told that we were being mean...

You need to take your education into your own hands, my a-level Psychology teacher wasn't the best and he aimed his teaching at grade C level so I just did my own independent study. You're quite fortunate as Psychology is probably the easiest a-level to self-teach as there's no material which is difficult or confusing, it's just memorising studies and theories. If you're planning on attending university this will be a good experience for you as Psychology lectures give you a very vague foundation of knowledge and you have to go away and study it yourself.

I managed to get an A* in Psychology through basically self-teaching (I don't even want to know how many classes I skipped haha ) and this is basically what I did:

- Buy a decent textbook and look at lots of different websites for the topics you're doing, just Google "AS psychology <topic>" will bring you lots of different pages to read through
    - Compose notes consisting of all the different source's material in a logical order and use this to learn through
    - On TSR in the Psychology section there'll probably be thread with others taking the same exams, I recommend you participate in it as it really helped me.
    - Go outside of the textbooks when looking for studies: I'm not sure what your exams are like but for me at least, in our A2 year we had essays to do. If you just go onto Google scholar and type in a topic you can find lots of recent studies to include in your essay plans. Not only does this make your essay stand out to examiners (who have probably read hundreds of essays using the exact same studies lol) but it shows you've looked at recent stuff and delved into the topic a little deeper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    I don't know what you're school is like but when when we had absolutely terrible teachers who the whole class complained about (both formally and through informal chats with other teachers), they still did nothing about it and we were told that we were being mean...

You need to take your education into your own hands, my a-level Psychology teacher wasn't the best and he aimed his teaching at grade C level so I just did my own independent study. You're quite fortunate as Psychology is probably the easiest a-level to self-teach as there's no material which is difficult or confusing, it's just memorising studies and theories. If you're planning on attending university this will be a good experience for you as Psychology lectures give you a very vague foundation of knowledge and you have to go away and study it yourself.

I managed to get an A* in Psychology through basically self-teaching (I don't even want to know how many classes I skipped haha ) and this is basically what I did:

- Buy a decent textbook and look at lots of different websites for the topics you're doing, just Google "AS psychology <topic>" will bring you lots of different pages to read through
    - Compose notes consisting of all the different source's material in a logical order and use this to learn through
    - On TSR in the Psychology section there'll probably be thread with others taking the same exams, I recommend you participate in it as it really helped me.
    - Go outside of the textbooks when looking for studies: I'm not sure what your exams are like but for me at least, in our A2 year we had essays to do. If you just go onto Google scholar and type in a topic you can find lots of recent studies to include in your essay plans. Not only does this make your essay stand out to examiners (who have probably read hundreds of essays using the exact same studies lol) but it shows you've looked at recent stuff and delved into the topic a little deeper.
    Do you still remember how to answer 12 markers?? I need some help in getting the structure correct 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandykaur)
    Do you still remember how to answer 12 markers?? I need some help in getting the structure correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not specifically, but I think they were 4 marks of AO1 and 8 marks of AO2? I usually outlined first making sure to elaborate (during Psychology exams I would literally just think elaborate, elaborate, elaborate as you really need to explain things despite how simple they may seem). Then for AO2 I would use PEEL - Point, Evidence, Explain, Link. Make sure you make your evaluation very clear, mine usually followed the structure of:

Support for this theory (P) comes from X who found ... (E) This suggests that... (E) Therefore this increases the internal validity of the theory as it has been supported by empirical research.

I usually do around one paragraph per 2 marks (although it's not marked quantitively, that just helped me write an adequate amount) so for a 12 mark question do roughly 2 paragraphs of AO1 and 4 for evaluating.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.