Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a problem with a Fourier series question and would like some assistance please:

The question is: find the Fourier series of x^2 in the range of -1<=x<=1.

Where f(x) = 0.5A0 + SUM OF(An cos(pi*n*x) + Bn sin(pi*n*x))

I think I have found the Fourier series correctly, with An = 4Cos(pi*n)/(pi^2*n^2) = 4(-1)^n/(pi^2*n^2), A0 = 2/3 and Bn = 0.

So the fourier series equation becomes: f(x) = 1/3 + 4/pi^2 * SUM of((-1)^n*cos(pi*n*x)/(n^2))

The next question is to hence show that the answer to the SUM of ( 1 - 1/2^2 + 1/3^2 - 1/4^2 +.....) = Pi^2/12

If my fourier series equation is correct, then that sum can only be obtained when x=1/n
    (not sure if you can even do that). But then I get an answer of -(pi)^2/12 as n -> infinity.

Can anyone tell me if I have gone totally wrong or something I'm missing?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dada55)
    Hi, I have a problem with a Fourier series question and would like some assistance please:

I think I have found the Fourier series correctly, with An = 4Cos(pi*n)/(pi^2*n^2) = 4(-1)^n/(pi^2*n^2), A0 = 2/3 and Bn = 0.

So the fourier series equation becomes: f(x) = 1/3 + 4/pi^2 * SUM of((-1)^n*cos(pi*n*x)/(n^2))

The next question is to hence show that the answer to the SUM of ( 1 - 1/2^2 + 1/3^2 - 1/4^2 +.....) = Pi^2/12

If my fourier series equation is correct, then that sum can only be obtained when x=1/n
    (not sure if you can even do that). But then I get an answer of -(pi)^2/12 as n -> infinity.

Thank you.
    It has to be a silly sign error somewhere ...
    I cannot possibly see it unless I do the question or post some workings
    (no hieroglyphics please)

ReputationRep:

Thank you.
    I'm a bit rusty on this so I hope I don't get this wrong.

You have x^2=\dfrac{1}{3}+\dfrac{4}{\pi^2  }\sum...

Rearranging you get

\dfrac{\pi^2}{12}=\sum \left( \dfrac{(-1)^n\cos(n \pi x)/(3x^2-1)}{n^2}\right)

Now ask yourself what value of x makes this work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    It has to be a silly sign error somewhere ...
    I cannot possibly see it unless I do the question or post some workings
    (no hieroglyphics please)

I'm not sure, I just re did it and still get to the same point. Unless I am making the same mistake. I have attached the question and my working out.

(Original post by BuryMathsTutor)
    I'm a bit rusty on this so I hope I don't get this wrong.

You have x^2=\dfrac{1}{3}+\dfrac{4}{\pi^2  }\sum...

Rearranging you get

\dfrac{\pi^2}{12}=\sum \left( \dfrac{(-1)^n\cos(n \pi x)/(3x^2-1)}{n^2}\right)

Now ask yourself what value of x makes this work?
    But if my equation up to that point is correct, then surely the only value of x that should work is if x=1/n so that the n=1 value is positive and then they continue to alternate signs. I did try something simmilar to what you did and got an answer of x = +- ROOT(6) over 3.

edit: for some reason my working out doesn't want to attach at the right rotation: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=205s...8#.VK_6a3uoP5k

Name:  20150109_153920.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  505.5 KB
    Name:  Fourier Series Q.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  99.7 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, I just re did it and still get to the same point. Unless I am making the same mistake. I have attached the question and my working out.

But if my equation up to that point is correct, then surely the only value of x that should work is if x=1/n so that the n=1 value is positive and then they continue to alternate signs.

I did try something simmilar to what you did and got an answer of x = +- ROOT(6) over 3.
    Name:  20150109_153920.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  505.5 KB
    Name:  Fourier Series Q.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  99.7 KB
    all correct so far

I can tell what you cannot see!!!

after you let x = 0 in both sides and you rearrange, the resulting sum is not the one you are after but the negative of that

write out a few terms to see it

your sum is pi squared over 12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    all correct so far

I can tell what you cannot see!!!

after you let x = 0 in both sides and you rearrange, the resulting sum is not the one you are after but the negative of that

write out a few terms to see it

your sum is pi squared over 12
    Ah yeah, I see that now. Thank you.

I guess that means that you cannot do the substitution x=1/n. I did think that you couldn't, but I was stuck in the idea that I had to get the signs of the SUM correct. In reality, -1* the answer for the same sum but with signs swapped is correct.

ReputationRep:

I guess that means that you cannot do the substitution x=1/n. I did think that you couldn't, but I was stuck in the idea that I had to get the signs of the SUM correct. In reality, -1* the answer for the same sum but with signs swapped is correct.
    the substitutions in these types of questions will usually be 0, pi/2, pi and so on
    it is just that the sum is -1+1/4-1/9+1/16 ... and so on

ReputationRep:

I added your series to my: Fourier series

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BuryMathsTutor)
    I added your series to my: Fourier series
    what program are you using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    what program are you using?
    http://www.graphmatica.com/

ReputationRep:
    thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.