Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've completed my ucas application for some time now but i couldn't send it off as I am currently taking a gap year and my old school is writing my reference. I'm confused with the whole process for a school to write your reference when you're on a gap year?

Do i need to wait till the school sends me the reference first, then send it all of to ucas? or do I send my ucas application off first, then the school will just attach my reference afterwards?

help? the deadline is coming up soon and I've emailed my school, but they are sooooo slow at responding...
    Everything is good to go.. its just the reference? its not letting me pay and send it off....
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You pay & send, then the school attaches your reference as far as I recall.
    If it isn't letting you send there must be something you haven't filled in fully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thorsas)
    You pay & send, then the school attaches your reference as far as I recall.
    If it isn't letting you send there must be something you haven't filled in fully.
    I just rechecked my ucas application and all the boxes are ticked for "section complete" apart from the reference option and the pay and send?

what should i do? is there anything that i can do? do i just have to sit and wait until the school writes my reference?

They're leaving it really late....

ReputationRep:
    Ah, here. You're applying as an individual and I didn't know that was different. UCAS Guidelines on this page:
    http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...nt-and-sending

So you're right. Looks like you get the reference off them and add it yourself, then send.

ReputationRep:
    If the answer isnt covered here - http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...nt-and-sending
    then PHONE Ucas first thing in the morning for advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thorsas)
    Ah, here. You're applying as an individual and I didn't know that was different. UCAS Guidelines on this page:
    http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...nt-and-sending

So you're right. Looks like you get the reference off them and add it yourself, then send.
    (Original post by sydneybridge)
    If the answer isnt covered here - http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...nt-and-sending
    then PHONE Ucas first thing in the morning for advice.
    So i'm guessing i can't do anything apart from waiting for my school to send it to me? They've agree to do it and it says on my ucas application that my school has accepted my request for a reference... maybe they are still writing it? what if they send it past the deadline? will i not be able to apply to university? I'm going for economics which is already competitive and I've done everything in my ucas a while ago, I'm just waiting for a reference?

what happens if it goes past the deadline?

ReputationRep:
    Since I'm applying from a different country, I applied as an individual and I had to enter my referee's (my English teacher) contact details and UCAS sent him an email asking him to send their reference to them. Officially, you're not supposed to see the reference, even though you can pay UCAS after applying and will be able to read the reference. So if you have entered your school for your reference, and have completed the reference section on UCAS, an automated email will have been sent to your school, with instructions as to what they have to do. Even though I don't know about deferred entry, I would imagine that UCAS would have asked your school to send the reference directly to them as well... You should contact your school and ask them what instructions they have received from UCAS; I'm sure you're not the first person from your school applying after a gap year. As for the future - maybe consider not leaving things until a week before the deadline

ReputationRep:
    if the school give you their code so you apply through them you can certainly send the form off now. Otherwise phone the school and phone UCAS, you dont have time for emails and they can get lost in cyberspace.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation!!

you have to wait for your teachers reference unfortunately. doesn't help the nerves though

ReputationRep:
    This sort of confusion is why all applicants are advised NOT to leave it all to the last minute!

ReputationRep:
    So i guess I just have to sit and wait?

what happens if i don't get a reference by jan 15th? will I not be able to send my ucas application off and will i not be able to apply to university through ucas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bustamove)
    So i guess I just have to sit and wait?

what happens if i don't get a reference by jan 15th? will I not be able to send my ucas application off and will i not be able to apply to university through ucas?
    You will not be able to send it off without a reference. If it is received after 6 pm on the 15th of January, it is classed as late and universities are not obliged to look at it, although they mostly do. You don't have the right to equal consideration to those who got it in before the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    I've called my school and also sent an email. Their response was that they are still working on it... I've spoken to everyone else in my school who are taking a gap year and are requesting a reference from my school and they are all in the same situation as me... some of them have even finished their whole ucas application around october - november way before the jan 15 deadline, yet they still have not got a reference from my school yet and are unable to send it off as well?

I spoke to the medicine gap year applicants in my school and they all said they got their reference one day before the deadline for medicine (deadline was october 15th i think?), I have a feeling they are gonna do the same and give us a reference a day or two before the deadline which sucks?

I'm just worried that my school won't send it in time... ah **** the stress.... I want to go university!

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind, just got my reference now... thanks to everyone who responded

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind, just got my reference now... thanks to everyone who responded
    Well, that's really good news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Well, that's really good news.
    Thank you finally panic over!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you finally panic over!
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Glad it came in the end.

Perhaps you could explain to your school how stressful it was and how they could help next years GAP year students by sending it sooner?

Most schools want to finish UCAS by Christmas so they can focus on other things ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Glad it came in the end.

Perhaps you could explain to your school how stressful it was and how they could help next years GAP year students by sending it sooner?

Most schools want to finish UCAS by Christmas so they can focus on other things ...
    Just sent my application off. And yea I emailed them but they said that because we are no longer part of their school, they won't make writing our references a priority compared to students who are currently at their school.
    Maybe they see people taking a gap year like me as competition and decide to give us our references late, so that we have to apply later so that there is less places for competitive courses?

I duno, but I'm sooo glad that it's over

ReputationRep:
    Your old school has a terrible attitude, Bustamove! Hope you get in where you want - then you can send them a copy of your offer ...

Most schools aren't like that fortunately and want all their students (current or former) to do well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.