Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B732 - Grammar School Bill 2015, TSR UKIP
    Grammar School Act 2015

An Act to introduce more Grammar schools in Britain.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Legalisation

(a) This bill will take precedence over any previous laws in regard to education or schooling.
    (b)Excluding 3(c), any new Grammar schools will be built at the Local Education Authority's discretion

2: Grammar School Entry

(a) The government will commission a study to be done on possibilities for reform of the process in which a child enters a Grammar School, with the aim of making it harder for students to be 'tutored' through it. Entry tests will take the form of Cognitive Ability Tests.
    (b) Following the results of 3(a), the government will setup an independent exam board to set and monitor Grammar School Entry exams following the advice of the commission.
    (c) One exam board will be responsible for setting all entry exams. All children will sit an identical exam.

3: Existing Schools

(a) The base funding for all existing state-run schools will be pegged at the same amount per pupil for all pupils in any Local Education Authority
    (b) Grammar Schools not already under the control of the Local Education Authority will become subject to the control of the Local Education Authority
    (c) If 20%of eligible parents in a non-selective area sign a petition for a school to change from a Comprehensive School to a Grammar School, a vote will be held and the result will be binding
    (d) If 20% of eligible parents in a selective area sign a petition to change a school from a Comprehensive to a Grammar School, the vote will be held at the LEA's discretion

4:Commencement, Short Title and Extent

(a) This bill may be referred to as the "Grammar Schools Act”
    (b) This bill shall apply to England
    (c) Shall come into force January 1st 2016

Notes

2(a) The commission will not just look into reforming the 11+ for Grammar School Entry but also at other methods such as incorporating Key Stage 2 results into the decision, having more and varied tests over a longer period of time and changing the topics that are tested on in the 11+. The aim of this will be to render private tutoring to have only a marginal effect on test scores, with the effect of children from poorer backgrounds being represented more
    3(c)'Non-selective areas' are defined as Local Education Authorities where less than 25% of secondary school children go to a Grammar School. 'Eligible parents' are defined as people who have children between the ages of 4 and 18 who live in the catchment area of the school
    3(d) A ‘selective’ area is a catchment area where 75% or more of the children attend a grammar school.
    Parts 3(c) and 3(d) reflect the School Standards and Framework Act 1998, which allowed votes to convert a Grammar School into a Comprehensive but not the other way around.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    An exam board for all grammar school tests? If you're gonna do that why not replace SATS at the end of KS2 and replace them with this test and use these results to tell you to go to grammar or non-grammar school:erm:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Now this could be very divisive.

Aye from me!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Not sure, I'll be monitoring this thread.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Just encase it wasn't clear I'll abstain unless the change I suggested is made. I'm not a fan of the grammar school system but I wouldn't mind this and it would bring our education system closer to that of Europe (mainly Germany) and I would love to see a ukip bill calling for closer European intergration.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I agree with Aph, however there is another condition I would add. In my experience grammar schools are shockingly bad at dealing with disabled students. This should be fixed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    An emphatic aye, with the exception of these binding votes on turning comprehensives into grammars - let's not forget that we can't just have grammar schools and some education planning will be required here rather than just letting random schools convert.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I agree with Aph, however there is another condition I would add. In my experience grammar schools are shockingly bad at dealing with disabled students. This should be fixed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I attend a grammar school and you're absolutely right on this.

ReputationRep:
    There's one small thing I disagree with, but apart from that... Aye?

(The one thing is the date that the bill will be introduced. Give it till at least 2020- after all, we need to plan this throughly, which would take several years. Plus, the schools would need to provide provision for disabled students.)
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by CescaD96)
    I attend a grammar school and you're absolutely right on this.
    I know - that's why I never went to one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I know - that's why I never went to one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I honestly think my school got into trouble for it...only in the last 2 years have they started accepting disabled kids. It's lousy. Provisions must be put into the bill so that all the required schools are inspected to ensure that disabled students have easy access.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Are you referring to physical disabilities or that they don't offer a fair opportunity to students with learning disabilities?

ReputationRep:
    aye
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by CescaD96)
    I honestly think my school got into trouble for it...only in the last 2 years have they started accepting disabled kids. It's lousy. Provisions must be put into the bill so that all the required schools are inspected to ensure that disabled students have easy access.
    Indeed. When I looked round their attitude was "we'll cross that bridge if we get there", I failed the test because I couldn't physically write.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Also a disproportionate amount of grammer schools are single sex
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by O133)
    Are you referring to physical disabilities or that they don't offer a fair opportunity to students with learning disabilities?
    Both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Also a disproportionate amount of grammer schools are single sex
    I released a bill on this last term which didn't end up going to vote - I may have another stab at this this term.

Both.
    If it's the buildings being inaccessible for wheelchairs etc. then that's possibly a function of the fact that new grammar schools are banned and so they are more likely to be older buildings. Regarding actually sitting the test, I presume with the intention to set up a national exam board (rather than incompetent local councils writing the papers) will come similar access arrangements to those for existing external exams.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by O133)
    I released a bill on this last term which didn't end up going to vote - I may have another stab at this this term.

If it's the buildings being inaccessible for wheelchairs etc. then that's possibly a function of the fact that new grammar schools are banned and so they are more likely to be older buildings. Regarding actually sitting the test, I presume with the intention to set up a national exam board (rather than incompetent local councils writing the papers) will come similar access arrangements to those for existing external exams.
    I can understand the fact they're old buildings but logic says that they'd update the building at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.