Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Only men should have to be responsible for success in life. Discuss watch

ReputationRep:
    I am of the opinion that since feminism has not quite completed its mission, we are in a situation where men have to prove their manhood-through sex/relationship success, career success, social dominance etc.-whereas women have the choice to do so, and are on a subconscious level praised more for it. The irony is that this implies that it's more difficult for women to attain success i.e. it's internalised misogyny. A straight-forward example would be, society hates unemployed men, but, while not glamourising unemployed women, is indifferent to them. Unemployment is practically an irredeemable character trait for a man.

What do you think of this?

ReputationRep:
    Women are far, far more reproductively valuable than men. Sperm is cheap, eggs are scarce.

Men need to compete and prove ourselves to have value to women and society.

Women are inherently valuable to men and society, because they have vaginas, uteruses and eggs, which men have evolved an enormous demand for. Instead of proving themselves through success, they prove themselves through appearing fertile: looking young and pretty. Note the huge cosmetics and fashion industries which massively appeal to women but do not really appeal to men, because men are not judged on their appearance to anywhere near the same extent as women are.

Who cares if a woman is unemployed? If she looks fertile she has something men desperately want and crave. The equivalent of an unemployed man is an ugly or obese woman.

The downside for young women is that their fertility - and hence their special treatment from men - does not last for ever. Therefore women are expected to lock down a committed man. Old single women (spinsters) are looked down upon more than old single men (bachelors).

It is why signs of weakness (e.g. crying) are acceptable in women, but unacceptable in men. A weak woman can still have lots of value by being fertile, whereas a weak man has little to no value.

It is also reflected in the insults used against each gender. We insult men by accusing them of weakness or lack of masculine virtue or success (loser! pussy! virgin! are far more hurtful to men than women). We insult women by accusing them of being unattractive or unable to secure commitment from a man (fat! ugly! slut! are far more hurtful to women than men).

No amount of feminist campaigning will change the biological fact that women are more reproductively valuable than men, and this leads to various "double standards" (actually, different standards for each gender because we play a different biological role in reproduction).

ReputationRep:
    riku you've gone too far with the red pill
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I think it's true to a certain extent. There are more expectations on men to have responsibilities than there are on women. People expect men to make money, to be a leader, to be out there doing things. It's not exactly heaven for women either mind, since they're expected to be attractive. Sure, an attractive woman can marry-up and live a comfortable life, but an unattractive woman can do no such thing. And life for attractive women may well be easier, but at what cost? Without a job they're vulnerable, and without responsibilities to contribute their worth as a person, where do they find satisfaction and self-esteem? Living one of these 'easy' lives seems pretty empty to me.

Men and women tend to be judged on different things, but each gender has its challenges really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    I am of the opinion that since feminism has not quite completed its mission, we are in a situation where men have to prove their manhood-through sex/relationship success, career success, social dominance etc.-whereas women have the choice to do so, and are on a subconscious level praised more for it. The irony is that this implies that it's more difficult for women to attain success i.e. it's internalised misogyny. A straight-forward example would be, society hates unemployed men, but, while not glamourising unemployed women, is indifferent to them. Unemployment is practically an irredeemable character trait for a man.

Kockham strong obsession with the k :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien_Dalgaard)
    Kockham strong obsession with the k :yep:
    Occams is doing fine bruh, living the dream; I'll send your regards to him

ReputationRep:
    Only thing you can really do is uphold the women in your life to the same standards that are expected of men, regardless of whether society as a whole approves of it or not.

ReputationRep:
    You are correct OP however that's because feminism has made women more like men than men like women albeit there has been some emasculation.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree, huge expectation on men, especially if you're the eldest son in some cultures

ReputationRep:
    Occams is doing fine bruh, living the dream; I'll send your regards to him

ReputationRep:
    I guess everyone has their view but can someone definitelty clarify what is this red pill business about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    I guess everyone has their view but can someone definitelty clarify what is this red pill business about?
    I'm not sure I'm allowed to elaborate too much on this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/

See also my criticism prior to voluntary [now redundant] ban:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ght=manosphere

ReputationRep:

It should stay old style. Women in the kitchen. Men at Work. However not strictly of course we should adapt this to make it less restricting obviously. But we need those feminine and male roles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryBarney)
    It should stay old style. Women in the kitchen. Men at Work. However not strictly of course we should adapt this to make it less restricting obviously. But we need those feminine and male roles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Old style? My grandmother worked, my great grand mother worked, my great great grand mother worked, my great great great grand mother worked etc. back to at least 17th century that we know about.

When was the 'golden age' when women didn't work? Very few families had the resources to allow an adult to be idle in the days when subsistence farming was the norm.

Women did factory work, mining work, agricultural work in the 19th century - agricultural work, harvesting, dairy work, poultry work, sewing work, lace making, spinning etc. in the centuries before. Female gangs were common in the fields.

In hunter gatherer societies the best guess from studying such present day groups, is that 80+ % of the food was gathered by women. Hunting being a very unreliable source of food.

Prior to the factory system most adults of both sexes worked at home. The workplace was often either literally the home or attached to it. Often the whole family mucked in, women and children, the man being the figurehead. When men went off to war (Crusades etc.) who do you think ran the country, farms, businesses, estates etc?

'Female surnames such as Baxter, Webster testify to this.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.