Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can anyone help me confused about 6th form? watch

ReputationRep:
    So im currently in year 11 and im studying the following subjects at Gcse level
    Maths
    English language and literature
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Ocr ict
    Btec business
    Law
    R.E

And I just yesterday took my Real Ocr Cambridge national ict exam and it was ok not too easy not hard either.

And my business exam is on the 19th this month

But on Wednesday I was given the sixth form application forms and im stuck.

So I'm the oldest in my family and no one from my family has gotten into 6 form.

So at the moment
    Excluding ict and business
    I'll have the rest of the subject exams in summer
    However I feel like Maths and chemistry will be my downfall

I suck in maths and I'm forced to take the higher aqa paper in summer because I am very good at English (top set)
    However im 100% sure ill get below a C in maths in summer.
    So if I do im intending on retaking maths during 6 form.

Chemistry I also find hard but I think with a lot of work I might pass it.

So back to my original question.

In 6 form at my school you can only pick 4 subjects
    Know presuming I fail maths which I probably will.

One of the 3 subjects ill be studying in 6 form is maths.
    So that leaves three

Know I have not the slightest idea of what I want as a career
    Im interested in games yet I found computing extremely hard so that is why I ended up with Ocr ict and that is boring but a good subject.

So because I don't have any idea of what I want as a career in the future im confused as to what i should study in 6 form.
    However this is what im leaning towards

Btec law
    L3 diploma in business (equivalent to 2 A levels)
    And maths at gcse level

Are these options good

I have heard that btecs are crap compared to A levels but I hate science and don't like English as something id do after Gcse.

So can someone please tell me if I have chosen good choices

In Btec business at the moment im doing pretty I have prepared for the exam I've memorised the book in terms of revision and I get Merits mostly on the coursework

And at gcse law I find it boring .but I find the content and subject stuff easy to learn. as well as that I am regularly getting a B on exams for it

So can anyone tell me of I am making the right choice

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if it's changed these days but at my college to do a level maths you needed an A/A* at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olderandwiser23)
    Not sure if it's changed these days but at my college to do a level maths you needed an A/A* at GCSE.
    No
    I will be re taking maths at gcse level most likely because it's the subject that I won't get a C in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lonely don)
    No
    I will be re taking maths at gcse level most likely because it's the subject that I won't get a C in
    That's what I mean they didn't accept retakes. They only accepted people for math a-level if they got a/a* first time round.

Might have changed now though :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olderandwiser23)
    That's what I mean they didn't accept retakes. They only accepted people for math a-level if they got a/a* first time round.

Might have changed now though :-)
    Im NOT DOING A LEVEL MATHZ IN 6 FORM

I WILL BE DOING NORNAL GCSE MATHS IN 6FORM

ReputationRep:
    What you take at Sixth form is completely up to you.
    You said you don't know what you want to do after college, therefore you should try and keep your options open by taking a mixture of different subjects so you don't close any doors or opportunities for yourself.
    It's also important to take subjects you enjoy or at least have some interest in, if you hate Science and English then there is no point taking them because your less likely to get good grades in something you dread.
    BTEC's arent crap, theyre still recognised qualifications. If you don't know what you want to do afterwards it's hard to say whether they will be the 'better choice' as you can't see if they will get you into the job or University you want.
    So look into things that you like, try and get an idea for something you might like to do as a career, and take courses you will enjoy. Good luck with your GCSE's.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.