Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my GCSE's I got 6 A*'s 6 A's and 2 B's. Currently I am studying for my AS Levels (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and I have a lot of long-term work experience. Would Cambridge/ Oxford still accept my GCSE grades if I got the required AS Level grades when applying to them, or would it be a waste of an application?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sofia1998)
    In my GCSE's I got 6 A*'s 6 A's and 2 B's. Currently I am studying for my AS Levels (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and I have a lot of long-term work experience. Would Cambridge/ Oxford still accept my GCSE grades if I got the required AS Level grades when applying to them, or would it be a waste of an application?
    If you apply to Cambridge (assuming you get the kind of UMS they're looking for) then yes, you have a chance. Your chance for Oxford is virtually nil with those GCSEs unfortunately, as you can see here.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE grades are 6 A*'s, 6 A's and 2 B's. I am currently studying for my AS Levels (Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics) and I also have a lot of long-term work experience placements. Would Oxford/Cambridge consider offering me a place with my GCSE grades, if I met the required AS Level requirements?

ReputationRep:
    In short, yes. As long as the rest of your application is strong
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    My GCSE grades are 6 A*'s, 6 A's and 2 B's. I am currently studying for my AS Levels (Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics) and I also have a lot of long-term work experience placements. Would Oxford/Cambridge consider offering me a place with my GCSE grades, if I met the required AS Level requirements?
    As I replied to your other duplicate post, providing the rest of your application is very strong you have a chance for Cambridge, but virtually no chance for Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    As I replied to your other duplicate post, providing the rest of your application is very strong you have a chance for Cambridge, but virtually no chance for Oxford.
    I'm interested to know why you think the OP has "virtually no chance". That's quite strong, and based on what evidence?

ReputationRep:
    Would you recommend that I use one of my choices to apply to Cambridge, or if not where else would you recommend, considering my GCSE results?

ReputationRep:
    Would you recommend that I use one of my choices to apply to Cambridge, or if not where else would you recommend, considering my GCSE results?

Edit: Ah, this makes more sense now that the threads have been merged. Medicine is a special case, because it is such a competitive course. You might consider some of the London universities?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by GailQ)
    I'm interested to know why you think the OP has "virtually no chance". That's quite strong, and based on what evidence?
    Source

If you scroll down to the graph showing success rate vs. number of A*s at GCSE, you can see that almost all successful applicants had 9 or more A*s, and that nobody got in with under 50% A*s and that practically nobody (possibly two people from the graph) got in with 6A*s or fewer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GailQ)
    He posted the evidence in his first post. It's pretty solid reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GailQ)
    "the mean number of A*s at GCSE was 10.2 and the mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.94."

There would have to be something extremely unique about someone's application to have them deviate from the mean by that much.

'Considerably unlikely' is probably a better phrase.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know of any GCSE statistics vs those offered a place at Cambridge University for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know of any GCSE statistics vs those offered a place at Cambridge University for medicine?
    Similar to Oxford as far as I'm aware, but they tend to focus on AS UMS + BMAT rather than GCSEs + BMAT as Oxford do, so for Cambridge there is more likelihood of high UMS percentages making up for less competitive GCSEs. Most successful Cambridge applicants have around 95% UMS average.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...esentation.pdf

Slide 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GailQ)
    Based on the fact that generally oxford only accept those with 90% A*'s at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    you can get anywhere if you believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitin985)
    you can get anywhere if you believe
    No, you can't. Similarly, "if you want something enough you can get it" is also wrong. You need the basic requirements that they ask for and accept. Otherwise you are in for a big disappointment.

Realism not optimism is what's needed.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.