Turn on thread page Beta

The most popular book of all time. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    1. The Holy Quran (644) - over 3 billion
    2. The King James Bible (1611) - over 2.5 billion
    3. Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung (1964) by Mao Zendong - 800 million
    4. Don Quixote (1512) by Miguel de Cervantes - 500 million
    5. Harry Potter series (1997-2007) by J.K.Rowling - 450 million
    6. A Tale of Two Cities (1859) by Charles Dickens - 200 million
    7. The Lord of the Rings (1954-1955) by J. R. R. Tolkien - 150 million
    Le Petit Prince (1943) by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - 140 million
    9. Alice in Wonderland (1865) by Lewis Caroll - 100 million
    Dream of the Red Chamber (1754) by Cao Xueqin - 100 million
    And Then There Were None (1939) by Agatha Christie - 100 million
    The Hobbit (1937) J. R. R. Tolkien - 100 million
    10. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950) by C.S. Lewis - 85 million

http://www.stylist.co.uk/books/the-a...world-revealed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)

It's interesting how Rowling's work is already 5th, being above much older works. I wonder if in 30-40 years time her work will be at the top of this list.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah the qu'ran. We did it boys. We're #1

ReputationRep:
    LOL how misleading. It only included the Kings James Version of the Bible. There are so many more versions and if they were all included, the Bible would be #1 on this list by a mile.

Anyway, The Bible is in fact the most popular book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    LOL how misleading. It only included the Kings James Version of the Bible. There are so many more versions and if they were all included, the Bible would be #1 on this list by a mile.

Anyway, The Bible is in fact the most popular book
    With each duplicate version of the bible it's intrinsic meaning becomes adulterated, if anything it loses validity...

ReputationRep:
    Would be interesting to know if the figures for certain religious texts are always representative since sometimes people are forced/pressure to own them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Jack)
    With each duplicate version of the bible it's intrinsic meaning becomes adulterated, if anything it loses validity...
    That doesn't really have anything to do with the figures though, does it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GailQ)
    Would be interesting to know if the figures for certain religious texts are always representative since sometimes people are forced/pressure to own them.

Why would that matter? The list has no such agenda. Please take your atheist filth elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    The Bible truly is the most popular book- KJV alone comes second, and that's a single version in a single language.

ReputationRep:
    Fail to see how this is relevant, but anyway

The English language changes a lot. Each version is made so people can understand it better. Also the Bible has been translated into many languages, so its message can reach more people. If you were to compare for e.g a verse from two versions of an English Bible, the meaning would be essentially the same.

O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, Lest I sleep the sleep of death; Lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed against him”; Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved. But I have trusted in Your mercy; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me. (*Psalms‬ *13‬:*1, 3-6‬ NKJV)

Lord my God! Restore sight to my eyes! Otherwise, I’ll sleep the sleep of death, and my enemy will say, "I won!" My foes will rejoice over my downfall. But I have trusted in your faithful love. My heart will rejoice in your salvation. Yes, I will sing to the Lord because he has been good to me. (*Psalms‬ *13‬:*3-6‬ CEB)

You see how they have the same meaning, but the second one is easier to understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Fail to see how this is relevant, but anyway

The English language changes a lot. Each version is made so people can understand it better. Also the Bible has been translated into many languages, so its message can reach more people. If you were to compare for e.g a verse from two versions of an English Bible, the meaning would be essentially the same.

O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, Lest I sleep the sleep of death; Lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed against him”; Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved. But I have trusted in Your mercy; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me. (*Psalms‬ *13‬:*1, 3-6‬ NKJV)

Lord my God! Restore sight to my eyes! Otherwise, I’ll sleep the sleep of death, and my enemy will say, "I won!" My foes will rejoice over my downfall. But I have trusted in your faithful love. My heart will rejoice in your salvation. Yes, I will sing to the Lord because he has been good to me. (*Psalms‬ *13‬:*3-6‬ CEB)

You see how they have the same meaning, but the second one is easier to understand

If anything you just demonstrated how easily something can be misconstrued when it's being translated for a wider audience. If such a small translation can cause a massive change in the original meaning how valid can the translation be when it it's compared to the original version?

Duplication is always bad but this is just ridiculous.

And anyway counting multiple versions of the one thing with slight variations is cheating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)

This is quite misleading. If you're looking at the Harry Potter series, then you have to look at C.S. Lewis' Narnia series too. It's sold well over 100 million, which potentially raises it upto number 9 (from position 13). I know the Harry Potter series is still bigger, but thats besides the point.

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter ftw. That's childhood right there.

ReputationRep:
    Ive read 9 out of 13 of those books. I have not read the following, are they worth reading (even if I have to fetch a translation):

ReputationRep:
    If anything you just demonstrated how easily something can be misconstrued when it's being translated for a wider audience. If such a small translation can cause a massive change in the original meaning how valid can the translation be when it it's compared to the original version?

Duplication is always bad but this is just ridiculous.

And anyway counting multiple versions of the one thing with slight variations is cheating.
    And where is this 'massive change' in original meaning? The verses mean the same thing. Don't know if you're purposely being dense :confused:
    There are still dead sea scrolls and manuscripts of the Bible from many many years ago,you can find them displayed in museums, and when compared to the Bible we have now, are more or less the same, the meaning doesn't change.
    You see, unlike some Muslims who know the Quran in Arabic but have no idea what any of it means, the Bible is to be understood by all.

The Quran isn't the most popular book of all time. Get over it

ReputationRep:
    Why would that matter? The list has no such agenda. Please take your atheist filth elsewhere.
    It's not "atheist filth". He was sharing a thought. For all you know, he might not even be an atheist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    It's interesting how Rowling's work is already 5th, being above much older works. I wonder if in 30-40 years time her work will be at the top of this list.
    Ignoring the unfairness of classing the whole Harry Potter series as the single book, Rowling's work overall will never be number 1. The Quran and Bible will not be beaten and I imagine that Quotations from Chairman Mao will continue to be a huge best seller in China. So top 3 are pretty much set.

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason to get so defensive.
    To be honest, I don't see how your point about there being many translations of the Bible is more relevant to a list of the most popular books than the fact that some people may be forced/pressured into buying the Qur'an and such texts. There are no doubt many translations/editions of plenty of the books on that list but the only one for which reference was made to a specific edition was the Bible.

I was making the point that fact that people are forced/pressured to buy these texts skews the indication of how "popular" the book is, since that was the word used for the list.
    I love how you don't even try to deny/have any problem with the fact that people are forced to own the Qur'an. As long as it's at number 1 making you feel all powerful, you don't mind? Well, whatever let's you sleep at night.

And no. I'm not an atheist. But thank you for being presumptious and defensive instead of giving a reasoned arguments. I can now see that I was wrong about people like you. :rolleyes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Surely Of Mice and men should be on there for old times sake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Harry Potter ftw. That's childhood right there.
    I still like reading the Harry Potter book and I am not a kid. They always interest me I love the authors writing style and i like the moral of the series.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't let any Harry Potter fan see what you wrote!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.