Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Hello everyone! This thread here is to give you an introduction to:

• Finding a forum
    • Starting a thread
    • Writing a post
    • Using all the awesome writing tools
    • Replying to posts!

If I don't add something in here, please comment below, and I'll be sure to add it! If you need more help, feel free to post below!

Finding a forum:
    There are masses of forums on this site, and sometimes finding the right one can be hard! That's why there's a great navigation bar to help! It has the main forums and popular sub-forums for you to use! If you can't find it there, then go here to find a full list of all the forums available!

Starting a thread:
    This can be very daunting to do with your first thread, but don't worry, this is how you can do it!
    Firstly, find which forum you're going to post in! Then click the orange 'post new thread' button! For a simple post, you can give it a title (try and make it relevant for the best responses!), type your message, then use the preview button to preview it if you would like, or click 'submit new thread'

Writing a post:
    Now you've got your editor open, you can right your post. You have all the basic text editing tools at your disposal! The basics are changing font, size, colour, position, styling, and more! The more unusual buttons we will go into next! Also, please take a look at the Community Guidelines to make sure that your post is appropriate!

Other editing tools:
    You may have noticed many other buttons! I will outline how to use them, and what they do here! (Hovering over them will tell you what they are!)
    Smiley: this allows you to make your post even more awesome with some smileys!
    Link: Highlight some text and click this, insert your link, and you'll have awesome looking hyperlinks!
    Unlink: This'll remove any selected hyperlinks!
    Insert Image/Insert Video: Insert your own images or videos!
    Quote:
    You can put a message in here like this! Put the message in between the two quote words!
    Code:
    Code:
    Do the same as you would a quote, but it gives it in a box like this, perfect for pasting code into a post!
    HTML:
    HTML Code:
    Similar to code!
    PHP:
    PHP Code:
    Similar to HTML and Codebut this will give it in a scrolling box
    Subscript/Superscript: These allow you to add subscript and superscript!
    Insert horizontal line: Add a line like this:

Strike through:
    Does what it says on the tin!
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Put things in here!

Replying to posts:
    You can do this two ways! Either, click the reply button under someone's post - this will open up the advanced editor, and you can use all the tools I've outlined above! This will include that person's message in your post, and they'll be notified that you've replied! OR, if you just want to write something, scroll to the end of the page, and the basic editor is there! If you want to go advanced, you can click 'go advanced'! If you want to quote someone in after you've stated typing, you can click the +" button! This will add it to the basic editor! Once written, you can click 'submit reply'!

Useful links for more information:

About TSR
    How to stay safe online
    Community guidelines

ReputationRep:
    Hi I hope I am messaging and doing this right aha. I asked a question creating a forum thing on sociology how do I get back to it ? see if anyone has answered ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Matthew Ross)
    Hi I hope I am messaging and doing this right aha. I asked a question creating a forum thing on sociology how do I get back to it ? see if anyone has answered ?
    Hiya! Yep doing it right so far!!!

Usually the threads which you've started will be on your TSR homepage, and as well as that, when someone quotes you in a reply, you will get a notification!

And because you're new, I've found your thread, which is here!

Feel free to let me know if you need anything else!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! you've been very helpful
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Matthew Ross)
    Thank you! you've been very helpful
    No problem at all! Let me know if there's anything else!

ReputationRep:
    <script>window.alert(“test”) </script>

ReputationRep:
    How do I write a PM? I'm not sure...

ReputationRep:
    thanks. that's really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info mobbsy!
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    Great thread mobbsy! :gthumb:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by rick16)
    Thanks for the info mobbsy!
    No problem :yy:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Great thread mobbsy! :gthumb:
    Haha, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Good theard it's helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.