Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Alright so I'm in a Uni course which is shared with a College at the moment. The first two years of my degree course is taught in a college and we are expected to get a HNC by the end of the first year and then a HND by the end of the second year. Basically I'm not enjoying the course and I'd like to switch to a Uni closer to home. I've saw some courses in a near-by Uni that I'm interested in so I guess I want to make a new UCAS application. This is where I'm struggling because I don't know where to get a reference, who to ask about my personal statement and whether I should be applying as an individual or through the uni? Basically I want to go back into first year of a new uni course. I'm absolutely panicking and don't have a clue what to do because the deadline is so near.

    Also, as a side note, where do I get the 'buzzword' from if I'm an individual applicant?
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    If you're an individual applicant you won't have a buzzword. It's unlikely that you'll apply through the uni - so if you use a reference from uni you would apply as an individual. If you ask your previous school for a reference then you would probably apply through them (and use their buzzword).

    So really, you need to figure out your reference first. This then dictates whether you apply as an individual or through a centre. You need an academic reference. If you have a tutor at uni then you can ask them, or you can ask your previous school if you left recently and think they'd give a better reference.
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.