Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for practice papers for each of the subjects I'm doing - English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and French (I'm doing another few but I don't need practice papers for them - Art & Design, Hospitality)

I already have How To Pass Nat 5 for each of these subjects (excluding the ones in brackets again and also French) but they don't provide much in the way of exam-type questions, just notes. They're helpful in some ways.

I'm already aware that there are specimen papers available on the SQA website - do you think that would be enough practice? I feel as though I've already wasted my money on some of the HTPN5 books (particularly the one for geography - only an example question here and there!) though most of them have good notes. Just worried I may end up wasting more money.
    :chaplin:

Leckie Leckie and Hodder Gibson both do practice papers / specimen papers but which ones would you recommend the most? Would I be better off buying the HTPN5 French instead of practice papers also (I've heard there's a lot of stuff included!)?

For subjects : chemistry, maths, English and geography. I bought the Hodder Gibson and found them useful. They gave you confidence going into the exam. I would highly recommend buying the leckie and leckie, N5 success guide book for geography as I found it extremely helpful and informative. The book was presented in a clear and concise manner. I would also recommend doing some int 2 papers for your subjects but ask your teachers which questions to do as some may not relate to the new N5 course.

Best regards

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bought the hodder gibson specimen papers for all my subjects and found them really good. However I hated their how to pass series, I spent a lot of money on them but found them really crap. And yes specimen papers are the best way to prepare you for the exam. I have always believed that an exam is 40% knowledge, 30% exam skill, 10% positively using stress and 10 % common sense and 10% luck. ;p
    For actual revising I would go to leckie leckie. I had them last year and I got all A's. The chemistry one had too much extra info imo tho.
    A word of advice however, don't underestimate hospitality. It was absolutely brutal at our school. The majority of people were predicted very high A's but got C's instead. I don't know why because I didn't take it but a few of my friends did and they got results like all A's in subjects like chemistry and biology but C's in hospitality and heath and food technology. Supposedly it was mostly due to the structure of the exam and also due to the very specific question types where you got marks for doing it a certain way.
    I wish you all the best!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinababy)
    I bought the hodder gibson specimen papers for all my subjects and found them really good. However I hated their how to pass series, I spent a lot of money on them but found them really crap. And yes specimen papers are the best way to prepare you for the exam. I have always believed that an exam is 40% knowledge, 30% exam skill, 10% positively using stress and 10 % common sense and 10% luck. ;p
    For actual revising I would go to leckie leckie. I had them last year and I got all A's. The chemistry one had too much extra info imo tho.
    A word of advice however, don't underestimate hospitality. It was absolutely brutal at our school. The majority of people were predicted very high A's but got C's instead. I don't know why because I didn't take it but a few of my friends did and they got results like all A's in subjects like chemistry and biology but C's in hospitality and heath and food technology. Supposedly it was mostly due to the structure of the exam and also due to the very specific question types where you got marks for doing it a certain way.
    I wish you all the best!!!!
    Hospitalilty and health and food tech is totally different.
    for the hospitality exam is practical and you cook,
    health and food tech , you sit a written exam and you don't really cook...

it depend what plays/books/poems you are doing for English. I liked leckie and leckie as it had the play I did for nat 5

ReputationRep:
    When I did Nat 5's last year, I found the Hodder Gibson specimen papers really useful.

For chemistry I would highly recommend the Leckie and Leckie Course Notes book; not a lot of questions but if you find it difficult then it explains things really well.

Lastly, depending on what you're studying in English of course, I recommend the GCSE York Notes books, I used the "Of Mice and Men" book last year and it was really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larissa14)
    Hospitalilty and health and food tech is totally different.
    for the hospitality exam is practical and you cook,
    health and food tech , you sit a written exam and you don't really cook...

it depend what plays/books/poems you are doing for English. I liked leckie and leckie as it had the play I did for nat 5
    Haha yeah I know but I was talking about both hospitality and h&f. One person in my year cooked this amazing meal and i was very impressed but for some strange reason he got a C! And loads of As! But I think the teachers were just really bad at conveying how to successfully fill the criteria... My assignments in chemistry and biology didn't go well either...it was all thanks to my exams that I got band 1s. But everyone has learnt from their mistakes and this year I think the school based components are gonna score much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinababy)
    Haha yeah I know but I was talking about both hospitality and h&f. One person in my year cooked this amazing meal and i was very impressed but for some strange reason he got a C! And loads of As! But I think the teachers were just really bad at conveying how to successfully fill the criteria... My assignments in chemistry and biology didn't go well either...it was all thanks to my exams that I got band 1s. But everyone has learnt from their mistakes and this year I think the school based components are gonna score much better.
    I
    found the same in helth and food tech. Loads of people get mixed grades with not many people,getting an A? I still don't get how they marked those assements last year. Some I wrote rubbish and I got a good mark but some I thought I wrote good but I got a bad mark

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.