The Student Room Group

Biology normal or Salters-nuffield

I was looking through a prospectus for a local college today and found 2 courses for biology- one was just normal OCR the other was salters-nuffield?
Whats the difference between the two and which would be better for dentistry as i have heard that unis prefer traditional subjects so does that mean i would be better off doing the traditional bio A level?
Well I do Salters-nuffield and it isn't too bad. Being a relatively new course it has got rid of the old biology routine of just learning a lot of facts. With this course, you've got to be able to analyse and evaluate really well to get a good mark.

Plus, a lot of universities have started to take interest in students taking this course due to its different methods of learning.
Reply 2
Urm I Heard Salters Is More Coursework But I Don't Know
Reply 3
I do salters and it is a lot more interesting than the standard biology. You study cardiovascular disease and genetic diseases and there's very little stuff on plants which i see as a good thing :wink:

You can't really just memorise loads of facts/figues etc. as you need to be able to apply your knowledge and analyse/evaluate as Gregorian IV was saying. Salters also focuses a lot more on the symptoms of diseases and the risks of diseases more than the standard biology course.

As well as doing coursework you have to do 10 core practicals throughout the year and then at the end of the year you are tested on two of them or something like that.

Do salters as it'll give you more skills needed for a course like dentistry :cool:
I am gonna have this choice as well and I'm not sure about what to do :redface:

atm the Salters course looks more appealing :smile:

What are the resources available for the Salters course and so on ...

Liar
I do salters and it is a lot more interesting than the standard biology. You study cardiovascular disease and genetic diseases and there's very little stuff on plants which i see as a good thing :wink:

You can't really just memorise loads of facts/figues etc. as you need to be able to apply your knowledge and analyse/evaluate as Gregorian IV was saying. Salters also focuses a lot more on the symptoms of diseases and the risks of diseases more than the standard biology course.

As well as doing coursework you have to do 10 core practicals throughout the year and then at the end of the year you are tested on two of them or something like that.

Do salters as it'll give you more skills needed for a course like dentistry :cool:

Unit 2 is Development, Plants & the Environment :s: :redface:
Reply 6
^^ Unit 2 is about Cystic Fibrosis :|

I love the SNAB course, I'd rather learn about certain diseases and how they're treated, how they come about and etc rather than learning THIS THIS and THAT
sorry ... must be me looking at the wrong specifications :redface:
Reply 8
There's also this snabonline thing where there are review type sections which has interactive activities for every topic in the book. Good for revision :smile: The book and the website cover everything you need to know for the exam.
o0o :biggrin:

would you mind providing the link for this website ... I just wanna see what resources are available as I've been told the textbook isn't so good :redface:
Reply 10
You need a password and username to enter i'm afraid.

http://www.snabonline.com

However, you can click on the purple box for a free trial tour :wink:

I don't know what you mean about the book not being very good. Seems alright to me. Then again i've not seen any other type of AS biology book so you could be right :redface:
Reply 11
which one would be better to do if i wanted to become a doctor; Human biology or Biology (Nuffield)???
I hate snab but no one apart from maybe a teacher can give a definite view as to which is better and even then their view won't be from a student perspective.
Original post by Liar
You need a password and username to enter i'm afraid.

http://www.snabonline.com

However, you can click on the purple box for a free trial tour :wink:

I don't know what you mean about the book not being very good. Seems alright to me. Then again i've not seen any other type of AS biology book so you could be right :redface:

Please i want the first book like this one http://www.snabonline.com so please if someone has it could you guys help me ?

Quick Reply

Latest