Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am attaching a question and the solution I have written.

The answer is correct.

There is one point that I am unhappy about so I have fudge it sort of speak.

The region is transformed from the triangle to the "trapezium" in the second page but I cannot justify analytically why the region "finishes" at u=0.

For instance why can not be a straight line (or indeed a curve) which joins (0,1) to (1,0).

(note there is also a singularity at x = 0 in the transformation equations)

Any suggestions?

jacobians_and_curvilinear_coodinates.pdf
    IMG_0016_NEW.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I get the following:

If u=x+y, v=\frac{y}{x} then:

\frac{u}{x} = 1 +\frac{y}{x} = 1 + v \Rightarrow x = \frac{u}{1+v}

\frac{u}{y} = \frac{x}{y} +1 = \frac{1}{v} + 1 = \frac{1+v}{v} \Rightarrow y = \frac{uv}{1+v}

So in terms of limits:

y=x \Rightarrow \frac{y}{x}=1 \Rightarrow v = 1

x =1 \Rightarrow u = 1+v

y=0 \Rightarrow \frac{uv}{1+v} = 0 \Rightarrow uv=0 \Rightarrow u=0 \text{ or } v = 0

Does that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    I get the following:

\frac{u}{y} = \frac{x}{y} +1 = \frac{1}{v} + 1 = \frac{1+v}{v} \Rightarrow y = \frac{uv}{1+v}

So in terms of limits:

x =1 \Rightarrow u = 1+v

y=0 \Rightarrow \frac{uv}{1+v} = 0 \Rightarrow uv=0 \Rightarrow u=0 \text{ or } v = 0

Does that help?
    I am not in a "fit state" at present, but I think this does it.
    I will look at it tomorrow.
    many thanks.

(PS will rep you as soon as I can rep you again)

ReputationRep:
    I get the following:

So in terms of limits:

x =1 \Rightarrow u = 1+v

Does that help?
    I am ashamed but I have done something stupid (blame the vino).

In the middle of the 1st page I have re-aranged incorrectly something that not even a GCSE student would have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I am ashamed but I have done something stupid (blame the vino).

In the middle of the 1st page I have re-aranged incorrectly something that not even a GCSE student would have done.
    Having thought about this, the transformation is a bit odd since the x-axis is apparently mapped to both the lines u=0 and v=0; it's not even a good function, if what I wrote above is correct.

However, if we look at the original equations then if y=0 (i.e. for points on the x-axis) we have:

v = y/x = 0 except at the origin
    u = x+y = x which isn't identically zero on the x-axis

So I'm not sure what's going on. I think I've confused myself.

ReputationRep:
    Having thought about this, the transformation is a bit odd since the x-axis is apparently mapped to both the lines u=0 and v=0; it's not even a good function, if what I wrote above is correct.

However, if we look at the original equations then if y=0 (i.e. for points on the x-axis) we have:

v = y/x = 0 except at the origin
    u = x+y = x which isn't identically zero on the x-axis

So I'm not sure what's going on. I think I've confused myself.
    I am aware of the singularity but I am happy to ignore it since I know the integral converges.

My problem was that I could not map the boundary correctly due to my stupidity.

When you rearranged x=x(u,v) and y=y(u,v) then the penny dropped that my rearrangements (although I eliminated differently) was not the same!

If you see my rearrangement for x = f(u,v) in the middle of the first page, you will laugh...

Anyway, the problem is sorted

(+5 already allocated this morning)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I am aware of the singularity but I am happy to ignore it since I know the integral converges.
    My concern wasn't for the singularity though, but rather for the fact that 1) the mapping doesn't seem to be a function (it's multivalued on y=0, apparently) and 2) that I seem to get contradictory results depending on whether I play around with (x,y) or (u,v).

Did you come up with that transform yourself or it is a standard thing?

ReputationRep:
    My concern wasn't for the singularity though, but rather for the fact that 1) the mapping doesn't seem to be a function (it's multivalued on y=0, apparently) and 2) that I seem to get contradictory results depending on whether I play around with (x,y) or (u,v).

Did you come up with that transform yourself or it is a standard thing?
    I made the question backwards, i.e. I started with ex over the trapezium and picked 2 simple transformation equations at random to create an "unrecognisable" integrand,( where naturally I know the transformation that will unlock it.)

the integral has to exist because two different computer algebra systems will integrate it over the triangle to the answer I got.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.