The Student Room Group

Childrens Nursing and Interviews

Hello, has anyone got any replies from Chester University for childrens nursing? I am still waiting a reply. Has anyone got an interview for UClan on Feb 4th for child nursing? Or any tips for me? I am so nervous haha:frown:!
Hi,

I'm Joel, I'm a 3rd Year Child Branch Student Nurse.

Big well done for getting an interview!
I wasn't interviewed at UCLAN, however I can offer some general advice, which will apply.

For the questions themselves, make sure that your answers underpin the key values of the health system; i.e. non-judgemental, dignified etc

Here are some example questions:

1. Give an example of a time you have coped under pressure
2. Give an example of a time where you have worked hard to achieve something
3. Give an example of a time where you have showed dignity and respect to someone
4. Why children's nursing?
5. What is the role of a children's nurse? (KEY QUESTION! Make sure you have a good answer prepared; it may also manifest itself as something like "What is a normal day for a children's nurse?)
6. How would you calm someone down before routine surgery?
7. What has been happening in health recently? (News items etc)
8. How would you deal with a child's death? (It's not common, but it does happen)
9. What do you think the top 3 qualities of a nurse are?
10. What are your weaknesses?
11. How would you react if a child hit you while you tried to take their pulse? (Again, this sounds random, but it does unfortunately happen. I've been spat at by a child before - I was only trying to do his temperature)

But have a Google and see if you can find more examples. These exact questions may not be asked, but certainly some of these 'themes' will be covered.

General advice:

- Make sure you fully understand the role of a children's nurse
- Research about the university and their facilities, and about the latest nursing news. (BBC Health News is a good place to look)
- Understand the basics of the NMC Code of Conduct (2008) and the NHS Constitution (2013) as you may be asked about these, or you may want to refer to them in your answers - which would come across very well
- Practice answers to questions you are likely to be asked
- Do some sample Maths and English tests (Papers can be found on Brighton and Birmingham City University's websites. Other universities may also provide their own)
- Maintain good posture and eye contact, and remember the tone of voice which you are speaking in. Speak clearly and slowly
- Remember that it's ok to ask to come back to a question at the end or ask for a minute to think about your answer. You are better to take your time and give a really good answer than blurt out something mediocre
- Actively listen as much as you talk

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask There is a thread in the Nursing and Midwifery forum that I started, called "Q&A with a 3rd Year Student Nurse", where I've answered lots of common questions already so have a browse there too.

I'm so sorry, this is SUCH a long post! But I really hope it helps!
Best Wishes
Joel
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PaediatricStN
Hi,

I'm Joel, I'm a 3rd Year Child Branch Student Nurse.

Big well done for getting an interview!
I wasn't interviewed at UCLAN, however I can offer some general advice, which will apply.

For the questions themselves, make sure that your answers underpin the key values of the health system; i.e. non-judgemental, dignified etc

Here are some example questions:

1. Give an example of a time you have coped under pressure
2. Give an example of a time where you have worked hard to achieve something
3. Give an example of a time where you have showed dignity and respect to someone
4. Why children's nursing?
5. What is the role of a children's nurse? (KEY QUESTION! Make sure you have a good answer prepared; it may also manifest itself as something like "What is a normal day for a children's nurse?)
6. How would you calm someone down before routine surgery?
7. What has been happening in health recently? (News items etc)
8. How would you deal with a child's death? (It's not common, but it does happen)
9. What do you think the top 3 qualities of a nurse are?
10. What are your weaknesses?
11. How would you react if a child hit you while you tried to take their pulse? (Again, this sounds random, but it does unfortunately happen. I've been spat at by a child before - I was only trying to do his temperature)

But have a Google and see if you can find more examples. These exact questions may not be asked, but certainly some of these 'themes' will be covered.

General advice:

- Make sure you fully understand the role of a children's nurse
- Research about the university and their facilities, and about the latest nursing news. (BBC Health News is a good place to look)
- Understand the basics of the NMC Code of Conduct (2008) and the NHS Constitution (2013) as you may be asked about these, or you may want to refer to them in your answers - which would come across very well
- Practice answers to questions you are likely to be asked
- Do some sample Maths and English tests (Papers can be found on Brighton and Birmingham City University's websites. Other universities may also provide their own)
- Maintain good posture and eye contact, and remember the tone of voice which you are speaking in. Speak clearly and slowly
- Remember that it's ok to ask to come back to a question at the end or ask for a minute to think about your answer. You are better to take your time and give a really good answer than blurt out something mediocre
- Actively listen as much as you talk

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask There is a thread in the Nursing and Midwifery forum that I started, called "Q&A with a 3rd Year Student Nurse", where I've answered lots of common questions already so have a browse there too.

I'm so sorry, this is SUCH a long post! But I really hope it helps!
Best Wishes
Joel

Thankyou this has helped alot! I will have a look at that thread now, and more than likely message you when I need help in future! x:biggrin:
Original post by ChloeNicholson
Thankyou this has helped alot! I will have a look at that thread now, and more than likely message you when I need help in future! x:biggrin:

Aw I'm so so glad! Feel free to DM me anytime! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending