Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Posted this in choosing A levels and thanks purple-Pixie for your great answer! But not sure if it was the right place to say it so reposting it.

Hi guys,
    So my school has just told us that due to the new A levels being put into place next year, we'll only be able to do 3 subjects for the whole of A level and not be able to drop any. Can anyone confirm this? And if this is so, I'll have to make a choice between economics and politics, can people who did them tell me what it was like? was it interesting? what did you learn?
    Thanks alot
    (The other subjects I would be doing are History and Geography.)

ReputationRep:
    I do economics and I love it, find it really interesting the workload is probably the least of all my subjects, links in with geography and development and stuff like that. History and politics link in well with each other but I think are super high workload. You better love writing essays.

ReputationRep:
    I too am going to be doing the reformed A-Levels next year. I actually posted a similar question.
    The main reason for the reform is that the government wants A-Level courses to become linear - one exam is taken at the end of Upper Sixth / Year 13 and that is the one that counts.

AS Levels still exist but are a separate qualification and DO NOT count towards the final A Level grade.
    There will be less coursework, with the amount of coursework for English and History reduced from 40% to 20% for A Level and coursework removed from AS Levels entirely with the exception of Art & Design.
    There will be no change to the standard of the A Level and the AS Level.
    Grades will remain the same: A* to E for A Level and A to E for AS Level.

Subjects changing in September 2015

• Art & Design
    • Business (formerly Business Studies)
    • Economics
    • English Literature
    • History
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Psychology

Subjects changing in September 2016

• Classical Languages (Greek & Latin)
    • Design Technology
    • Drama
    • Mathematics & Further Mathematics
    • Geography
    • Modern Foreign Languages (French, German & Spanish)
    • Music
    • Physical Education
    • Religious Studies/Philosophy

Subjects changing in September 2017

• Classical Civilisation

I am not too sure about when politics will be changing.
    My school permits us to do four subjects in the first year, at the end of which we will take one AS Level and subsequently drop that subject. We also would do internal exams to help with university applications. Then for the second year we would take our A-Level exams.

With regards to economics or politics, it all depends on what career you want to pursue, what university courses you hope to apply for and what your interests are etc. For example economics involves a lot more maths and politics requires more essay writing.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I do both Economics and Politics. Politics is definitely my favourite subject. I would advise taking Politics only if you are up to date with current affairs and regularly read the news. Its definitely an easier than Economics and requires much less work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flather)
    I do economics and I love it, find it really interesting the workload is probably the least of all my subjects, links in with geography and development and stuff like that. History and politics link in well with each other but I think are super high workload. You better love writing essays.
    Thanks a lot :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOT)
    I too am going to be doing the reformed A-Levels next year. I actually posted a similar question.
    The main reason for the reform is that the government wants A-Level courses to become linear - one exam is taken at the end of Upper Sixth / Year 13 and that is the one that counts.

AS Levels still exist but are a separate qualification and DO NOT count towards the final A Level grade.
    There will be less coursework, with the amount of coursework for English and History reduced from 40% to 20% for A Level and coursework removed from AS Levels entirely with the exception of Art & Design.
    There will be no change to the standard of the A Level and the AS Level.
    Grades will remain the same: A* to E for A Level and A to E for AS Level.

Subjects changing in September 2015

• Art & Design
    • Business (formerly Business Studies)
    • Economics
    • English Literature
    • History
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Psychology

Subjects changing in September 2016

• Classical Languages (Greek & Latin)
    • Design Technology
    • Drama
    • Mathematics & Further Mathematics
    • Geography
    • Modern Foreign Languages (French, German & Spanish)
    • Music
    • Physical Education
    • Religious Studies/Philosophy

Subjects changing in September 2017

• Classical Civilisation

I am not too sure about when politics will be changing.
    My school permits us to do four subjects in the first year, at the end of which we will take one AS Level and subsequently drop that subject. We also would do internal exams to help with university applications. Then for the second year we would take our A-Level exams.

With regards to economics or politics, it all depends on what career you want to pursue, what university courses you hope to apply for and what your interests are etc. For example economics involves a lot more maths and politics requires more essay writing.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! Really clears things up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic_Legends)
    I do both Economics and Politics. Politics is definitely my favourite subject. I would advise taking Politics only if you are up to date with current affairs and regularly read the news. Its definitely an easier than Economics and requires much less work!
    Thanks! And if you don't mind me asking, what do you learn in Politics and what do you learn in Economics? And how is Politics much less work? Are the concepts easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1209ll)
    Thanks! And if you don't mind me asking, what do you learn in Politics and what do you learn in Economics? And how is Politics much less work? Are the concepts easier?
    Im doing AQA Politics so we are currently learning about the constitution and how government works (what powers they have etc) we finished learning about Pressure Groups, Parties (how they elect their leaders, ideology etc), Election systems in the UK (how it is not working for the Electorate in the UK) and Democracy (how democratic is UK). In Economics all we learn about is supply and demand graphs, it's the same stuff over and over again. I think I find Politics much less work is because Im usually on top of all my notes and I enjoy the concepts and theories we learn.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.