Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to do an MO diagram for BN but i'm not sure my answer is correct. In the 2p section I have 1 electron from B and 3 electrons left from N, so 4 bonding electrons which is a double bond, but from what I see online its a triple bond

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacksonmeg)
    I'm trying to do an MO diagram for BN but i'm not sure my answer is correct. In the 2p section I have 1 electron from B and 3 electrons left from N, so 4 bonding electrons which is a double bond, but from what I see online its a triple bond

Hope this helps

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistt)
    Hope this helps

but Boron has 5 electrons so why is there 2 electrons in the 2p orbital... surely 4 have been used, 2 to 1s and 2 to 2s

ReputationRep:
    but Boron has 5 electrons so why is there 2 electrons in the 2p orbital... surely 4 have been used, 2 to 1s and 2 to 2s
    I drew the MO for BN- which has a bond order of 3 and a triple bond.
    BN has a bond order of 2, which in theory would be linear with a double bond but actually it forms a ring structure:

http://gyazo.com/15ba6b89b734e35019a44afce3878aee

Btw can i ask what uni you are from because i think it might be the same as mine as this question is on a past paper.

ReputationRep:
    I drew the MO for BN- which has a bond order of 3 and a triple bond.
    BN has a bond order of 2, which in theory would be linear with a double bond but actually it forms a ring structure:

http://gyazo.com/15ba6b89b734e35019a44afce3878aee

Btw can i ask what uni you are from because i think it might be the same as mine as this question is on a past paper.
    Leeds

ReputationRep:
    Leeds
    Oh nvm, but yeh hopefully that explains it.

ReputationRep:
    BN is isoelectronic to C2, which you might remember has a bond order of 2. In practice you often end up with interesting graphite- and diamond-like structures, although that's not what this question is getting at.

Hope this helps
    You appear to have a bond order of 2.5, not 3.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.