Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

hey guys

i have this problem that has been going on for 4 years and i need some help because i think it's getting out of hand. i am a 16 year old girl. i am very very shy and extremly quiet. it is so extreme that i can't even go to the shops without thinking very deeply about what would happen if i go in. i know it's very stupid and it takes a hard time to admit this but i am really suffering. because of this i can't even ask my teachers for help if i need it concerning my work. the thought of having a conversation with someone makes me feel sick. if my teacher ask me a question in class my heart beats so fast i begin to shake with fear. i always think about what other people would think of me.
    how can i overcome this? where can i go for help? my famliy don't even know because i am afraid of telling them. i know after reading this you will think am stupid but it's taking over my life and is a big deal for me. it's taking over my education my life everything!!! i did a bit of research and it said i may have social anxiety or something like that
    please advice me! what should i do? where can i go for help?
    thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Many people suffer from social anxiety so do not feel stupid!! It is a very common illness and affects everyone differently. Don't let it take over your life - Book an appointment with your GP

ReputationRep:
    Going to your GP would be a good first step. If you feel you might clam up during the appointment you could try writing out what you want to say beforehand then just hand it to the doctor and s/he should take it from there. Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.