Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently I'm doing N5 maths and I HATE IT! So now as making choices for highers is coming closer I'm wondering if I really need to do higher maths as I have no concentration for it at all now, how will I take take it further to higher. The thing is I do want to go to universty, I'm not quite sure what for yet but maybe something to do with science but again not very sure but back to the question, would it be stupid of me to not take higher maths or does it not matter? Don't want to make a mistake and risk not getting into uni

It all depends on what you want to do. I love maths and I am currently taking it at higher. There is an immediate jump from N5 to higher and big jump at that. You really need to be getting an A/B at N5 if you are wanting to pass, though people who passed at C level can take it over two years at my school. You need to look at the courses that you are interested in and see the requirements. I hope that helps, if you have questions about either the n5 or higher course just quote me and I'll get back to you.
    Best regards

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your universe is mathematical. Take the subject.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Emma_High)
    Currently I'm doing N5 maths and I HATE IT! So now as making choices for highers is coming closer I'm wondering if I really need to do higher maths as I have no concentration for it at all now, how will I take take it further to higher. The thing is I do want to go to universty, I'm not quite sure what for yet but maybe something to do with science but again not very sure but back to the question, would it be stupid of me to not take higher maths or does it not matter? Don't want to make a mistake and risk not getting into uni
    If you want to do anything science-related, I would highly recommend doing higher maths. It will be essential for physics/chemistry. Whilst it may not be specifically required for biological sciences, you would put yourself at a disadvantage for not having studied it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For science, you will almost certainly need math. However if you can't get an A for N5 math, there is very little point in taking Higher Math as it is much more complex. Or work hard :P

ReputationRep:
    take it!

ReputationRep:
    I am taking it the now and although I really like the subject and always have I have felt the significant jump in the level as well as quantity of material. Like a couple of people have said maths is usually essential for any science related uni course but even if you decide not to take it next year but you realise you need it to apply to uni you can always just pick it up in sixth year.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't jump to one decision or another at this moment in time. Wait to see what result you get in N5 maths. Also, be aware that I detested SG Maths and wondered why on earth I was taking Higher and ended up getting an A band 1 in it, so don't rule anything out yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i am doing higher maths this year after getting an A at Nat 5 last year. It is obviously harder but through hard work and dedication, an A or B pass at higher is easily obtainable. i recommend you seek guidance from teachers at your school and talk things through with your guardians.

ReputationRep:
    Okay just to put a clear perspective on the math issue. I have applied for BSc/ MA in psychology (a SCIENCE based subject) and have already received 2 unconditionals after never doing maths after 4th year, and only getting a 3 at standard grade. For me doing higher biology was the only science I had and it must be good enough for universities! If your strong point is in the social sciences, like mines was, then there is no need for you to continue maths. It looks far superior having high grades in the subjects you care about, than low ones in the ones you only took be chase you felt you needed it. Unless of course you end up wanting to study something maths based however if you hate it then that's unlikely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nat 5 Maths was awful. Although higher maths seems to be going okay. It just takes hard work and effort, I literally study maths every night of the week. It takes practice. It is much better than Higher English, picking that was one of my biggest mistakes!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.