Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate football summer transfer rumour thread. watch

ReputationRep:
    Simply put, anyone heard any rumours about transfers for the summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    don't know, don't care.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Van Bommel to Villa

ReputationRep:
    There was a rumour that Alex Ferguson was to sell Ruud Van Nistelrooy to Real Madrid to free up money to buy Steven Gerrard from Liverpool! But with Liverpool looking as if they will clinch the Champions League spot it definitely won't happen...........not that there was much chance of it happening anyway! Twaz a good rumour though!

Possible and Likely transfers:

Diego Forlan to leave Man United.
    Djibril Cisse to go to Liverpool.
    Emile Heskey to go from Liverpool to Birmingham.
    Alan Smith to leave Leeds for Newcastle/Liverpool.
    David Beckham and Ronaldo to Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln's 6'7" (yes, that's not a typo) centreback Ben Futcher has been tipped to move to a Premiership club, possibly Villa or Bolton. He was our top scorer last season, because he went up for all the corners and free kicks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Yes...lots.

ReputationRep:
    Joe Cole to Spurs
    Robinson to Spurs
    Milner to Spurs
    Van Bommel to Spurs
    Diego to Spurs

It's always Spurs - are we actually going to get some of these people for once or it just going to be more speculation again?!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard/Terry to Arsenal for £35m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    Joe Cole to Spurs
    Robinson to Spurs
    Milner to Spurs
    Van Bommel to Spurs
    Diego to Spurs

It's always Spurs - are we actually going to get some of these people for once or it just going to be more speculation again?!!!!
    We're not going to get the first two, because I don't want them. More likely are Frey and Montero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    We're not going to get the first two, because I don't want them. More likely are Frey and Montero.
    No way are we going to get Frey - Arsenal will get him.

Montero is too old - somsone who is fairly young with experience will be better for us.

ReputationRep:
    montero is an ancient uruguayan who is being rejected by Juve! - has-beens going to tottenham however isnt something new i suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    montero is an ancient uruguayan who is being rejected by Juve! - has-beens going to tottenham however isnt something new i suppose
    Ah, but you see we play him alongside King, giving King a season's learning experience, whilst still getting a season out of Montero himself, then at the end of the season, with more money, replace Montero with someone better and younger. We need someone of Montero's mould because King will just not develop with someone experienced alongside him and we can't afford a top defender who has both experience and a few years left on his side.

As for Frey, if Wenger is to be believed (which isn't very likely, I know) then Lehmann will still be number 1 next season. However even if he is lieing then the keeper they have most strongly and recently been linked with is not Frey but Niemi. Robinson is simply not a very good keeper and would not be much of a progression from Keller. If Frey is available then we need to be going for him.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, but you see we play him alongside King, giving King a season's learning experience, whilst still getting a season out of Montero himself, then at the end of the season, with more money, replace Montero with someone better and younger. We need someone of Montero's mould because King will just not develop with someone experienced alongside him and we can't afford a top defender who has both experience and a few years left on his side.

As for Frey, if Wenger is to be believed (which isn't very likely, I know) then Lehmann will still be number 1 next season. However even if he is lieing then the keeper they have most strongly and recently been linked with is not Frey but Niemi. Robinson is simply not a very good keeper and would not be much of a progression from Keller. If Frey is available then we need to be going for him.
    We can't really just devote a whole season to helping King to learn. We need to move forward niw, otherwise it's going to be like this season again. Montero doesn't have pace, and that is something we need especially in centre of defence, and something both King and Gardner have.

Frey would be a great signing - but I just don't think he will sign for Spurs. Robinson is likely, but although only slightly, he is still a better keeper than Keller is, and he is still improving too.

ReputationRep:
    [COLOR=Black]We can't really just devote a whole season to helping King to learn. We need to move forward niw, otherwise it's going to be like this season again. Montero doesn't have pace, and that is something we need especially in centre of defence, and something both King and Gardner have.
    Gardner is crap. Forget about him. We need someone to help King learn his trade because if he doesn't this season he probably never will. Also, if Gardner and King have pace, why do we need more in defence?

ReputationRep:
    Gardner is crap. Forget about him. We need someone to help King learn his trade because if he doesn't this season he probably never will. Also, if Gardner and King have pace, why do we need more in defence?
    Because as you say, Gardner is "crap", and we need someone with good defensive attributes, like King has, to form a good central defensive partnership. Someone who is a few years older than King and who has played in a good team domestically, and maybe, internationally, would help King and the whole team, generally.

ReputationRep:
    Because as you say, Gardner is "crap", and we need someone with good defensive attributes, like King has, to form a good central defensive partnership. Someone who is a few years older than King and who has played in a good team domestically, and maybe, internationally, would help King and the whole team, generally.
    Suggest a player then.

ReputationRep:
    Suggest a player then.
    I can't think of a player that would actually want to come at the moment, but someone in the mould of Silvestre at United (not him), but someone alike in their defensive play.

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of a player that would actually want to come at the moment, but someone in the mould of Silvestre at United (not him), but someone alike in their defensive play.
    That's why we need Montero this season. Until the end of next season, when we hopefully will have won something and won't desperately need midfielders anymore, we won't be able to afford anyone like Silvestre. Montero would be better than anything we've got at the moment plus as I said he would help King develop, meaning the season would not be completely futile would regard to the defence. Then by the time we can afford someone decent King will also have bloomed into a top player and we'll have a pretty solid defence.

ReputationRep:
    Spurs fans are notoriously speculative, and somehow, it makes it to the papers.

Spurs will buy v.few of the players they have been linked with.

ReputationRep:
    That's why we need Montero this season. Until the end of next season, when we hopefully will have won something and won't desperately need midfielders anymore, we won't be able to afford anyone like Silvestre. Montero would be better than anything we've got at the moment plus as I said he would help King develop, meaning the season would not be completely futile would regard to the defence. Then by the time we can afford someone decent King will also have bloomed into a top player and we'll have a pretty solid defence.
    But surely have we have the money to spend now we should spend it on a defender, instead of a "filler" defender? That is a priority, and we need to sort it out for next season, as well as bringing in new midfielders.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.