Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm adamant that I want to swap courses at university (I'm currently a first year) into Biology. I have emailed admissions and they said my options are:

- Drop-out before the start of term (Monday) and reapply externally - I don't really want to do this.

- Remain at university and transfer at the end of the year. As I'm currently doing three Biology modules those three would be credited (30 credits) and Sept 2015 would be the remaining 90 credits making me a part-time student. I'm not sure of the financial implications of this though. I'm also worried as my current course is not working out at all, I don't think I'll even be able to pass the exams - will this be on my transcript? Also would this impact my entrance into the new course?

I'm just looking for advice, or if anyone else swapped after their first year how did it go, also how do I ask my university to make my place for Sept 2015 in my new course official? As I don't want to go along putting in the bare minimum in my current course (aside from the Biology modules obviously) and then they say I need to stay on my current course.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? Hoping to get the e-mail sent today.

ReputationRep:
    If your study is deemed part-time by your uni, you would only get the Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance. You wouldn't get any Maintenance Loan/Grant.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LeaX)
    Anyone? Hoping to get the e-mail sent today.
    Hey, have you sent the email yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    If your study is deemed part-time by your uni, you would only get the Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance. You wouldn't get any Maintenance Loan/Grant.
    Ohh I didn't know this I thought you got money in relation to the amount of credits you're doing - e.g. if full-time is 120 credits and you do 60 credits you'll get 50% of the maintenance loan and grant.

(Original post by Roving Fish)
    Hey, have you sent the email yet?
    Yeah I sent it a couple of days ago

ReputationRep:
    This is so stressful, Klix88 you're completely right. I don't know what to do

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.