Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe in God? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
    Yes
    35.00%
    No
    65.00%

ReputationRep:
    Why/why not?

ReputationRep:
    Hell yes!! He is the creator, the almighty, omnipotent, omniscient, god!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    No!! I find people who go to church go there for socoilizing nowadays. Yhe others who are serious are just wasting theyrr sunday family time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope. The God of any and every religion is quite clearly a human construct and there's nothing that has ever convinced me that a God of any kind exists.
    Does the God of Christianity/Islam/any other religion exist? Almost certainly not. All religion is incoherent nonsense which could have been made up by a toddler.
    Could a God like the one of Deism exist? Maybe, but I have no reason to believe in one because I'm not in the habit of believing in anything without good reason to do so.

So for all intents and purposes, I'm an atheist.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Not believe in God? The question has no meaning. It is illogical.

I know there is no god.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Lol at the poll results

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in God. I can't explain why. I just do.
    Religion, on the other hand, I passionately despise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Not believe in God? The question has no meaning. It is illogical.

I know there is no god.
    Actually, I think most atheists would agree with me when I say that knowing there is no God is just as ridiculous as "knowing" there is a God.
    Absolute knowledge of anything simply doesn't exist. The only way you'd have absolute knowledge on the matter is if you were a god.

Even Richard Dawkins doesn't claim to have absolute knowledge that God doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    No. I used to strongly but I guess I saw the world for what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWiseSalmon)
    Actually, I think most atheists would agree with me when I say that knowing there is no God is just as ridiculous as "knowing" there is a God.
    I disagree with them.

Absolute knowledge of anything simply doesn't exist.
    Ah, the "we know nothing" argument. That's a great debate in philosophy, but silly in the real world.

Occam's razor. There is no evidence there is a god. Therefore, there is no god.

The only way you'd have absolute knowledge on the matter is if you were a god.
    That's a fallacious circular argument for saying there is a god.

One could say the universe was made by an invisible teapot but you would only know that if you were the invisible teapot, therefore, there must be an invisible teapot.

Even Richard Dawkins doesn't claim to have absolute knowledge that God doesn't exist.
    Richard Dawkins does not represent me.

ReputationRep:
    No. He's too human for my liking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    No. He's too human for my liking.
    Too human?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No because I have never felt a reason to or felt that there is enough proof in his existence to believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Ah, the "we know nothing" argument. That's a great debate in philosophy, but silly in the real world.
    But this is philosophy. Pragmatically, I live my life under the assumption that God doesn't exist, because you're right; in the real world the "we know nothing" argument is unhelpful and pointless. However, this is a philosophical discussion and ultimately I don't think we can know anything with certainty.

That said in order to function, we need to be pragmatic. Pragmatically, I think it's a safe bet to say God doesn't exist, but if you want to get all philosophical (as we are now) then I think we are forced to admit that we don't and never will have magical absolute knowledge.

Occam's razor. There is no evidence there is a god. Therefore, there is no god.
    Not true. Occam's Razor states that the explanation with the fewest assumptions is the most likely. Notice the last two words: most likely.

The non-existence of God is by far the most likely position, IMO, but it's not a certainty.

That's a fallacious circular argument for saying there is a god.
    No it isn't. I'm not making an argument for God. I don't believe in God. My problem is with your assertion that you know there is no God. To know there is no God you must literally know everything.

One could say the universe was made by an invisible teapot but you would only know that if you were the invisible teapot, therefore, there must be an invisible teapot.
    I have no absolute knowledge that there is no invisible teapot. The idea is so ludicrous so for all intents and purposes I can rule the idea out. The same goes for God. I have no reason to believe in God so I do not.
    But I do not know there is no God. Not absolutely anyway.

I hope I've made my position clearer. I am an atheist, but I also don't believe in absolute knowledge.
    However this philosophical position achieves nothing so I very much like pragmatism.

ReputationRep:
    i believe in god and He believes in me

ReputationRep:
    Allah is the Greatest.

ReputationRep:
    Yes- it just makes sense to me.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.