Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    okay, so i have got my results back from my gcse mock and boy... their rubbish. at the moment i need a* at my separate science in order to be accepted to my sixth form and to study medicine,however i had obtained all B's on my tests which were all by the way past papers.

the only problem is i revised so much like 4 hours on each subject and last year i had got a's on my c1'sb1's and p1's but on the level 2 grades i have done awful...

overall can someone give me advice on what i should be doing to effectively get a*'s for my real gcse science which is in 5 months time.thanks
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by johney37)
    okay, so i have got my results back from my gcse mock and boy... their rubbish. at the moment i need a* at my separate science in order to be accepted to my sixth form and to study medicine,however i had obtained all B's on my tests which were all by the way past papers.

the only problem is i revised so much like 4 hours on each subject and last year i had got a's on my c1'sb1's and p1's but on the level 2 grades i have done awful...

overall can someone give me advice on what i should be doing to effectively get a*'s for my real gcse science which is in 5 months time.thanks
    Firstly, you certainly don't need A*s in the science subjects at GCSE to study Medicine.

There is plenty of time for you to revise. Go over your mistakes that you made in your mocks, revise those topics and then do past papers closer to the actual thing.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are revising as much as your mental stamina will allow and you are using every ounce of your intelligence, yes. Personally, doing A levels now, I found our Psychology teacher's analogy very accurate that GCSEs are a mouse, While A levels are an elephant, so make the most GCSEs by getting all A*s so you can get into a better 6th form or something for A levels which matter more. I would suggest buying an A level science textbook and seeing how MUCH of it there is and how HARD it is compared to GCSE, for reassurances that they are easy as can be, when you are feeling overwhelmed (which you will laugh at A level) and don't use the fact that they are so easy as an excuse to limit revision and you will get A*s

ReputationRep:

Whilst 4 hours obviously isn't nothing I'm predicted all A* in every science but I spent a good 15-20 hours on biology and chemistry over the holidays and a bit less on Physics but thats more because its a bit less content based. If you really want an A* you have to know the specification back to front and inside out- the grade boundaries arent too high and by simply memorizing absolutely every fact 100% you should easily be able to get A*. I know it sounds hard but if you try and start learning it all asap, make sure you learn it really well and you wont have to go over it too much right before the exam because you'll find its easier to remember.
    Make sure you also do lots of past papers so you get familiar with the sort of answers the exam board is looking for and similar questions can sometimes come up. But if you know the syllabus really really well and do loads of past papers you can definitely do it

ReputationRep:
    you wouldnt have revised for mocks to your best ability, no matter how hard you tried to
    If you compare mock grades to the real thing it shows how much better students perform in actual exams
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

If you mean four hours in total, don't be disheartened as you have time to do a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you need to remember the fact that you're only in January. Your exams are around June so there is so much more of the syllabus that you are going to cover before your exams so that could be an element of it.
    I'd just look at past papers and have a go at them as they'll show you where you're typically going wrong.
    Don't worry though, just revise and you'll be fine

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.