Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I quit university before Christmas and I have since had a letter from the Uni saying that I'm liable for £2250.00 in tuition fees, which they will be receiving from SFE.

SFE, however, have paid me a maintenance loan and maintenance grant as if I was still in university.

What is the procedure for repaying this? Is it the automatic repayments that go through the income tax system? I.e. if I'm earning over 15k then the money will be taken from my wages automatically?

ReputationRep:
    Did you notify SFE that you had left your course?

If not, you should contact them, as they may impose fines. I would think they will want the money paying back now (the sum you have just received) as you're no longer a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kung Po Chicken)
    So I quit university before Christmas and I have since had a letter from the Uni saying that I'm liable for £2250.00 in tuition fees, which they will be receiving from SFE.

SFE, however, have paid me a maintenance loan and maintenance grant as if I was still in university.

What is the procedure for repaying this? Is it the automatic repayments that go through the income tax system? I.e. if I'm earning over 15k then the money will be taken from my wages automatically?
    its up to you to notify student finance that you have left your course. The maintenance grant will definitley be repayable immediately, the loan I believe will be due back when your earning enough money. If your on a 9k fee course the threshold is over £21,000. I would avoid spending any of it though.

ReputationRep:
    If you have received any money after you officially dropped out, you will be expected to return it in full, immediately (loan and grant). Don't spend any of it.

Loans you had before you dropped out, will be repayable once you reach the £21,000 earnings repayment threshold.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.