Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What requires more willpower? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: In your view, which requires more willpower?
    Giving up Smoking/Drinking
    75.00%
    Giving up Facebook
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    I don't smoke myself, but the challenge I have had in giving up Facebook for my New Years resolution has been demanding to say the least. I just feel so tempted to log back in again in order not to appear ignorant to those who have messaged me, but happily Ive drew a red line and am loosing the hook gradually. In my view, giving up Facebook is a major challenge, similar to the likes of giving up smoking or drinking as there's so much temptation to go back seeing how almost everyone uses it.

ReputationRep:
    Is this **** serious? smoking is an actual addiction (I won't say physical " 'cos there's no such thing as non-physical addiction, "psychological" addiction can include "addiction" to anything pleasurable and is thus a useless concept).

I don't smoke (primarily 'cos I don't see what people like about it) so I don't know what it feels like to give it up but they say nicotine is a very addictive drug indeed. Facebook on the other hand, I have deleted with the utmost ease and never looked back.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think it's an effective comparison personally. Both are going to be different for different people and are two very different things. But I don't think you can compare a social media site with such physically addictive things like smoking and drinking :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You can re/deactivate Facebook.

Once your Kidneys and lungs are black and cancerous worn out pieces of time ticking instruments of death, I don't think you can reactivate those.

ReputationRep:
    Giving up smoking/ drinking would probably require more will power (I'm guessing, not sure as I don't do either) but it's more necessary to give this up than facebook.

ReputationRep:
    I've given up drinking, and in the past I've given up Facebook as well. Drinking's defo harder, I still want to just get smashed some nights ... but when I take a break from social media I'm usually more relaxed in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordFarquaad)
    Is this **** serious? smoking is an actual addiction (I won't say physical " 'cos there's no such thing as non-physical addiction, "psychological" addiction can include "addiction" to anything pleasurable and is thus a useless concept).

I don't smoke (primarily 'cos I don't see what people like about it) so I don't know what it feels like to give it up but they say nicotine is a very addictive drug indeed. Facebook on the other hand, I have deleted with the utmost ease and never looked back.
    Facebook can be an addiction. Just because you deleted with ease doesn't mean others will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    I don't smoke myself, but the challenge I have had in giving up Facebook for my New Years resolution has been demanding to say the least. I just feel so tempted to log back in again in order not to appear ignorant to those who have messaged me, but happily Ive drew a red line and am loosing the hook gradually. In my view, giving up Facebook is a major challenge, similar to the likes of giving up smoking or drinking as there's so much temptation to go back seeing how almost everyone uses it.
    It all depends on the individual.
    Some people don't really like/use facebook that often so they are unlikely to find it particularly difficult whereas some people get addicted. You can't compare them in two different individuals, because individuals are different with difference experiences, beliefs etc one isn't harder than the other per se.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.