Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone check my working is correct here please? I just want to make sure I understand things correctly here.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you got the correct bounds. This time you've shown that your delta will work (like what james22 said in the last thread) albeit in a rather hasty way at the bottom, but in a formal proof you'd have to be more explicit.

But yes, you've got it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0x2a)
    Yep, you got the correct bounds. This time you've shown that your delta will work (like what james22 said in the last thread) albeit in a rather hasty way at the bottom, but in a formal proof you'd have to be more explicit.

But yes, you've got it.
    Could you make an suggestions for the improvement of my answer please? as understand it, I just proved that the function is continuous at 0, because i was able to find a delta, right?

Thanks a lot for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineapplechemist)
    Could you make an suggestions for the improvement of my answer please? as understand it, I just proved that the function is continuous at 0, because i was able to find a delta, right?

Thanks a lot for the help
    You haven't necessarily proved that it is continuous, because for a function to be continuous at a point x_0 there must exist a \delta for all \varepsilon, such that when |x - x_0| < \delta then |f(x) - f(x_0)| < \varepsilon, but the thing is, once you have a concrete example like 1/100 in your case, in most circumstances it is quite easy to extend this to any general \varepsilon.

Other than that, the thing I was nitpicking at was to write a formal proof at the bottom.

i.e. Choose any \varepsilon, let \delta = \varepsilon, and let |x - 0| = |x| < \delta = \varepsilon.

Then \displaystyle |f(x) - f(0)| = \left|x\sin\dfrac{1}{x} - 0 \right| = \left|x\sin\dfrac{1}{x}\right| = |x|\left|\sin\dfrac{1}{x}\right| \leq |x| < \delta = \varepsilon, thus |f(x) - f(0)| < \varepsilon, whenever |x - 0| < \delta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0x2a)
    You haven't necessarily proved that it is continuous, because for a function to be continuous at a point x_0 there must exist a \delta for all \varepsilon, such that when |x - x_0| < \delta then |f(x) - f(x_0)| < \varepsilon, but the thing is, once you have a concrete example like 1/100 in your case, in most circumstances it is quite easy to extend this to any general \varepsilon.

Other than that, the thing I was nitpicking at was to write a formal proof at the bottom.

i.e. Choose any \varepsilon, let \delta = \varepsilon, and let |x - 0| = |x| < \delta = \varepsilon.

Then \displaystyle |f(x) - f(0)| = \left|x\sin\dfrac{1}{x} - 0 \right| = \left|x\sin\dfrac{1}{x}\right| = |x|\left|\sin\dfrac{1}{x}\right| \leq |x| < \delta = \varepsilon, thus |f(x) - f(0)| < \varepsilon, whenever |x - 0| < \delta.
    Thanks so much!

So because we can choose epsilon=delta the function is continuous at 0?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineapplechemist)
    Thanks so much!

So because we can choose epsilon=delta the function is continuous at 0?
    Yes, in this case the delta we need is easy because we can just set it to epsilon.

Np

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 10, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.