Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Hello :cookie:

Okay, I've recently been considering doing a Chemistry degree but I lack certain A-Levels including Maths.

I'm currently studying Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and History so I can apply for other universities (excluding Imperial since they require Maths at A-Level for all their Chemistry courses) such as Queen Mary's, UCL and Kings College London

But I've been thinking of doing something along these lines to boost my chances and widen doors to other Universities

A) Taking a gap year after doing A2 (I'm currently doing AS) and taking additional A-Levels (AS Maths, AS Physics, AS Geography and something else?) during that gap year at a college or another sixth form (or if possible at the same sixth form I currently am studying at if they allow me) - ONLY RISK IS THAT I'M WORRIED I'LL FORGET WHAT I LEARN AT AS AND A2

EDIT - In the case of Option A, I won't be able to study A2 Maths since I won't have AS Maths to begin with so I'll probably carry A2 Psychology instead

B) Retaking Year 12 but not carrying the current A-Levels I'm studying (Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and History - obviously I'll have my AS results) and taking AS Physics, AS Maths, AS Geography and possibly another AS during that year and then taking A2 Chemistry, A2 Biology and A2 Maths in Year 13 - ONLY RISK IS THAT I'M WORRIED I'LL FORGET WHAT I LEARN AT AS WHICH MEANS I'LL STRUGGLE WITH A2 BIOLOGY AND A2 CHEMISTRY

EDIT - Option B will mean I will have AS Maths so I can carry Maths to A2. I might also consider taking Psychology or Geography (if I do Geography) at A2 as well so I'll have 4 complete A-Levels]

Any suggestions?

And the more important question is that is it worth the struggle? Is taking more A-Levels worth it or not in my situation?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    :cookie:

Can someone advise? :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang-liao)
    Hello :cookie:

Okay, I've recently been considering doing a Chemistry degree but I lack certain A-Levels including Maths.

I'm currently studying Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and History so I can apply for other universities (excluding Imperial since they require Maths at A-Level for all their Chemistry courses) such as Queen Mary's, UCL and Kings College London

But I've been thinking of doing something along these lines to boost my chances and widen doors to other Universities

A) Taking a gap year after doing A2 (I'm currently doing AS) and taking additional A-Levels (AS Maths, AS Physics, AS Geography and something else?) during that gap year at a college or another sixth form (or if possible at the same sixth form I currently am studying at if they allow me) - ONLY RISK IS THAT I'M WORRIED I'LL FORGET WHAT I LEARN AT AS AND A2

EDIT - In the case of Option A, I won't be able to study A2 Maths since I won't have AS Maths to begin with so I'll probably carry A2 Psychology instead

B) Retaking Year 12 but not carrying the current A-Levels I'm studying (Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and History - obviously I'll have my AS results) and taking AS Physics, AS Maths, AS Geography and possibly another AS during that year and then taking A2 Chemistry, A2 Biology and A2 Maths in Year 13 - ONLY RISK IS THAT I'M WORRIED I'LL FORGET WHAT I LEARN AT AS WHICH MEANS I'LL STRUGGLE WITH A2 BIOLOGY AND A2 CHEMISTRY

EDIT - Option B will mean I will have AS Maths so I can carry Maths to A2. I might also consider taking Psychology or Geography (if I do Geography) at A2 as well so I'll have 4 complete A-Levels]

Any suggestions?

And the more important question is that is it worth the struggle? Is taking more A-Levels worth it or not in my situation?
    I am in A2 now.
    I take Bio and i would say it is totally separate to AS biology. Like not many ideas from AS bio follow through to A2.
    Chemistry however AS and A2 like link and there are things they expect you to remember.

How about doing the AS levels you are doing no then at A2 dropping all the other ones apart from Bio and Chem then work your butt of and do AS maths and A2 maths in 1 year. My friends doing that with another subject and she's coping fine
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PensAndPaper)
    I am in A2 now.
    I take Bio and i would say it is totally separate to AS biology. Like not many ideas from AS bio follow through to A2.
    Chemistry however AS and A2 like link and there are things they expect you to remember.

How about doing the AS levels you are doing no then at A2 dropping all the other ones apart from Bio and Chem then work your butt of and do AS maths and A2 maths in 1 year. My friends doing that with another subject and she's coping fine
    I could do that in Year 13 but the only problem is that I'm not sure if my sixth form allows me to do that though since I believe I can only take AS Maths next year as there are timetabling problems.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RainbowVeins)
    x
    (Original post by usycool1)
    x
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    x
    Just wanted to ask for your opinions
    In my case, is it worth the struggle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang-liao)
    I could do that in Year 13 but the only problem is that I'm not sure if my sixth form allows me to do that though since I believe I can only take AS Maths next year as there are timetabling problems.
    I think if you quite literally pester the heck out of them they will allow it. My college is quite big so they always had an available AS lesson slot.

Theres no harm in asking though (pleading your way through). Ask them now in advance so they can figure out some sort of plan.

If not then consider transferring sixth forms to somewhere where they are doing the same exam boards as you and would allow you to do AS and A2.

If not maybe just say to your college to put you in an AS maths class. And you do A2 in your spare time get a tutor or find a nice friend to teach you.

Or you could just learn the whole of AS in the summer and then come back in September to do A2 in an A2 maths class. Then when the 2016 exams come in put yourself in for the AS and A2 paper.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to do A level Maths in a year would be my advice too. Honestly it's not that bad. :yep: Having a gap between AS and A2 bio/chem really doesn't work in your favour.

I personally would go with option A because I don't know what unis would thing of retaking year 12, but that's probably just me...

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, do NOT do option B, not only ail you forget stuff you will need for A2, but rather crucially it will amount to sitting your original A-levels over 3 years which some universities will not like.

Option A also seems excessive - why do you feel you need 3 extra AS levels? Universities are concerned with quality not quantity.

You could certainly try as PensAndPaper suggests, I did maths in a year and it is possible. The issues with doing it alongside your A2s are the need to drop your 3rd to allow time for it, this is a risky option in case you do not get an A in maths; and may be difficult to organise, although not impossible especially if you can get a tutor to start teaching you in the summer.
    Or you could complete your current A-levels and then do a 1 year intense course in maths. Or you could do AS maths next year then A2 the year after. The problem with these two options, along with your original options B is that universities may not consider them as part of the same sitting and therefore as part of the qualifications you are offering.

You would need to check with universities before taking any of these options.

This is all assuming that you need to do an extra A-level/s. Why do you think you need to do maths or any of these extra ASs? Unless you are absolutely set on Imperial it is unnecessary. It's a lot of trouble to go to if you are applying to unis that do not require maths.

ReputationRep:
    How completely determined are you to head to Imperial?

As it stands you've got two main options:
    1) Drop all but Bio/Chem for A2, study a full A-Level in Maths in a year
    2) Don't apply to Imperial, pick up AS Maths in Year 13

ReputationRep:
    I'd have said to do the Bio, Chem A2 in Year 13 with the A2 Maths in a Year. You can self teach AS over summer if you need to prove to them you're fine.

Then if it doesn't work out, you can gap it. And do AS/2 FM and AS/2 Physics in the gap year maybe

Chemistry is a good choice, but the best unis you need maths
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Guess I'll attempt to ask my sixth form to allow me to study AS and A2 Maths in Year 13 :yep: Otherwise I just won't be applying to Imperial then :yep: but I can still apply for other Universities like UCL though

Thank you so much to everyone who posted

I've repped you all but can't rep L'Evil Fish just yet because I've repped him before, but I'll be sure to rep him soon once I can

(Original post by loperdoper)
    How completely determined are you to head to Imperial?

As it stands you've got two main options:
    1) Drop all but Bio/Chem for A2, study a full A-Level in Maths in a year
    2) Don't apply to Imperial, pick up AS Maths in Year 13
    It would be a dream come true for me if I did study at Imperial but UCL is just as good right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.