Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I have a real passion for medicine. I don't know how to describe it... I'm just so intrigued and i just love it! I don't mind working long hours! My only problem is, I wasn't very well behaved during my GCSE years due to many problems at home affecting my behaviour in school and I only achieved 6As, 3Bs and a C at GCSE:
    A - Core Science
    A - additional science
    A - English literature
    A - Business
    A - Maths
    A - Drama
    B - Geography
    B - English Language
    B - ICT
    C - German

My behaviour is better now! I'm a model student. I attended a grammar school and I know I could have done better but I can't change that now. I'm now studying for my AS Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. My target grades aren't very high but right now I am achieving A's and I hope to get out with 4 A's at the end of AS where I hope to take all 4 through to A2. The question I'm asking is, is there any point me applying to medicine? I love medicine so much but I don't want to apply and not get in. I am an extremely hard worker, I just lack self confidence but I'm working on improving that. I know med schools only take in few applicants so I don't know if I am clever enough to apply and I'm asking for your opinions. The University I am looking at currently is Bristol University. So, do you think I could go to med school?

ReputationRep:
    If you get some work experience in a care home, hospital, gp, etc then that would significantly improve your chances.
    You also find it'll be helpful to volunteer in any organisation to show commitment.

Your gcses will limit you but there's a chance. Look at all the medical school websites and see what they say on entry requirements.

You will also need to complete an entrance exam called the UKCAT and possibly the bmat.

It's a lot of work but you can do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs House)
    If you get some work experience in a care home, hospital, gp, etc then that would significantly improve your chances.
    You also find it'll be helpful to volunteer in any organisation to show commitment.

Your gcses will limit you but there's a chance. Look at all the medical school websites and see what they say on entry requirements.

You will also need to complete an entrance exam called the UKCAT and possibly the bmat.

It's a lot of work but you can do it

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schoolgirl27)
    Hi everyone!

I have a real passion for medicine. I don't know how to describe it... I'm just so intrigued and i just love it! I don't mind working long hours! My only problem is, I wasn't very well behaved during my GCSE years due to many problems at home affecting my behaviour in school and I only achieved 6As, 3Bs and a C at GCSE:
    A - Core Science
    A - additional science
    A - English literature
    A - Business
    A - Maths
    A - Drama
    B - Geography
    B - English Language
    B - ICT
    C - German

My behaviour is better now! I'm a model student. I attended a grammar school and I know I could have done better but I can't change that now. I'm now studying for my AS Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. My target grades aren't very high but right now I am achieving A's and I hope to get out with 4 A's at the end of AS where I hope to take all 4 through to A2. The question I'm asking is, is there any point me applying to medicine? I love medicine so much but I don't want to apply and not get in. I am an extremely hard worker, I just lack self confidence but I'm working on improving that. I know med schools only take in few applicants so I don't know if I am clever enough to apply and I'm asking for your opinions. The University I am looking at currently is Bristol University. So, do you think I could go to med school?
    Those GCSE grades do make your options for which unis you can go to a lot more limited for example Bristol as you mentioned would be a huge NoNo but there are wiki pages to guide you there.
    That said if you get good AS grades you should still be able to find places to apply especially if your UKCAT goes well in the summer.
    Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it

ReputationRep:
    I think it's entirely possible for you to go to medical school if you're careful with your choices. You mention Bristol, which although places a large amount on extra-curricular, does not have the UKCAT and so leans quite heavily on GCSEs. It also happens to be one of the most competitive in the UK as it doesn't use UKCAT, so I would avoid it if possible.

You also have to be careful with your B in English Language, because some schools will want A*/A. One that might be worth looking at is Durham, who do not look at GCSEs providing you've got biology and chemistry at AS level.

I'm also a 2016 applicant, so if you ever want a chat or advice just drop me a PM

ReputationRep:
    As the others have said as long as UKCAT goes well you definitely have a chance. I would definitely recommend UKCAT101 they really helped me apply to the right places and of course get a good UKCAT score. Remember: APPLY TO YOUR STRENGTHS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.