It's freedom of speech after all.

W must defend freedom of speech

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)

As long as the cartoons attack ideologies and ideas. To attack people on the basis of factors out of their control is simply pointless and should be stopped.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. At the risk of being cliche, nobody has the right not to be offended.

ReputationRep:
    Nice try OP, but it's already been said before you could start an argument.
    "As long as the cartoons attack ideologies and ideas. To attack people on the basis of factors out of their control is simply pointless and should be stopped".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Nice try OP, but it's already been said before you could start an argument.
    "As long as the cartoons attack ideologies and ideas. To attack people on the basis of factors out of their control is simply pointless and should be stopped".

(Original post by Xenorebrem)
    As long as the cartoons attack ideologies and ideas. To attack people on the basis of factors out of their control is simply pointless and should be stopped.
    We're talking about state-backed censorship here, right?

Get stuffed, freedom comes before hurt feelings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BitWindy)

Yes. The magazine has as much right to mock religion as you do to be offended by it. Don't like it, don't read it.
    And this was a slight overreaction to "hurt feelings," wouldn't you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Yes. The magazine has as much right to mock religion as you do to be offended by it. Don't like it, don't read it.
    And this was a slight overreaction to "hurt feelings," wouldn't you say?
    What a perplexing response.

I'm against censorship, try reading sometime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)

Racism and offending a religion are different things; you cannot equate them. Muslims were offended essentially at the Qu'ran's instructions being disobeyed by Cartoonists depicting Mohammed. The outrage at these cartoons went far beyond peaceful demonstrations and resulted in murder. That, and that alone is enough justification to create and publish cartoons of Muhammad.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

If that were to happen, there would no doubt be lots of criticism of it. Free speech works both ways - people would have the right to make a racist cartoon, other people have the right to criticise that.

Criticising a cartoon for being offensive is fine, but responding with violence is not.

ReputationRep:
    What a perplexing response.

I'm against censorship, try reading sometime.
    Urgh, shut up and take your sarcasm elsewhere, I obviously didn't notice the first bit.

ReputationRep:
    There's bit of a difference between being black and following a religion. Criticising someone on their skin colour, which they can't help being born with, is wrong. I shouldn't even have to explain why. Criticising an ideology and religion, which people choose to follow, is open.

ReputationRep:

I'm pretty sure you are a troll, but seeing as I'm being generous today I'll feed you anyway.

If the state were to censor outright attacks on people of certain skin colours, certain nationalities or even certain disabilities this would literally have NO NEGATIVE IMPACTS ON SOCIETY WHATSOEVER.

It's only when we begin to censor ideas that we begin to lose our freedom of expression.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just drawing pictures of the prophet Muhammad. It's pictures of him in an inappropriate and insulting context. That may be freedom of speech but it is also hate speech.

Poking fun at the Hindu God (Ganesh) or making a holocaust joke aimed at Jewish people is wrong and should never be made. The only intention one has in creating such images or making jokes is to insult or degrade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Racism and offending a religion are different things; you cannot equate them. Muslims were offended essentially at the Qu'ran's instructions being disobeyed by Cartoonists depicting Mohammed. The outrage at these cartoons went far beyond peaceful demonstrations and resulted in murder. That, and that alone is enough justification to create and publish cartoons of Muhammad.
    I complete agree. What happened was out of order. Why should freedom of speech be taken away for a bunch of terrorists? I'm sorry, but they need to learn that slaughtering innocents will certainly not get them their own way. There have been plenty of times other religious groups have targeted also, including mine. However, there is little much done about it.

At the end of the day, I hardly think God or whoever is up there, will loose sleep over a lousy tv show or minority opinion. So why should we?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Oh come on.

Peoples religious beliefs/ way of living should be respected just as much as the colour of their skin.

Why some people think someone's culture, and values are free to be attacked is beyond me. It's just as intolerant.

ReputationRep:
    I love how it's automatically "black people and Jews" whenever an example about racism comes up.:rolleyes:
    But I'm sure you will be first to tell me that you can be equally as racist towards white people (I'm not saying you can't btw)
    Just wondering why white people are never used as an example...

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you are a troll, but seeing as I'm being generous today I'll feed you anyway.

If the state were to censor outright attacks on people of certain skin colours, certain nationalities or even certain disabilities this would literally have NO NEGATIVE IMPACTS ON SOCIETY WHATSOEVER.

It's only when we begin to censor ideas that we begin to lose our freedom of expression.
    A troll for disagreeing with you? Ha.

There are negative consequences. You are directly intruding upon the freedom of individuals. Freedom that does not itself infringe upon other freedoms. This is a fundamentally reprehensible crime against the natural liberty of expression.

Racism, eugenics and jingoism are all ideas, even if you disagree with them. In censoring them you are, by your own admission, destroying freedom of expression.

If you think those ideas you disagree with really are bad for society, let the individuals who make up society decide for themselves.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    As much as I dislike democracyforum, there is a valid point raised here. The fact of the matter is that if this cartoonist were drawing similar cartoons taking the piss out of something like Judaism, making racist caricatures of black people or being grossly homophobic, there is no way that people would be jumping to their defence that easily. There is a massive amount of pre-existing prejudice against Islam in the Western world which is why these images of Muhammed are deemed practically socially acceptable but comparable images from other movements would not be.

I'm not suppressing freedom of expression or saying that any of these images should be banned. I'm simply surprised that the international community is so willing to act as if that cartoonist is some kind of a hero when he would be completely demonised if he were targeting a community other than Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahava)
    There's bit of a difference between being black and following a religion. Criticising someone on their skin colour, which they can't help being born with, is wrong. I shouldn't even have to explain why. Criticising an ideology and religion, which people choose to follow, is open.
    It was not the criticism you see everyday. It was blatantly taking the mick. It is stupid to think that the cartoonists would have done something that they know would provoke hate and not get a response.

Of course they do it for sales and attention etc. But IMO, there is a limit to how much you can upset someone.

You wouldn't go waving your pork sausage in the face of someone who is vegetarian and expect to get away with it? And think that the vegetarian will not react?

But the murders were over the top. Yes.

My point is, the cartoonists should have and probably did expect some hate mail. It is sad thought that it resulted in their deaths. But deliberately provoking people is not the way forward either. Childish and thoughtless IMO.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.