Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many people actually have external hard-drives? Would you say that they are worth it overall? I recently bought one for my little sister for her birthday and while doubting she will actually use it I was considering actually buying one for myself. I am currently using 100GB of the 451GB on my computers hard-drive and I doubt overall it will improve computer performance for the moment but overall what are the major benefits of putting all pictures, videos, documents etc onto the external hard-drive?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If you're stuck with USB 2.0, it will be VERY slow and if there is no real chance of filling your hard drive there is little point in it and you may as well wait until you need it
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    How many people actually have external hard-drives? Would you say that they are worth it overall? I recently bought one for my little sister for her birthday and while doubting she will actually use it I was considering actually buying one for myself. I am currently using 100GB of the 451GB on my computers hard-drive and I doubt overall it will improve computer performance for the moment but overall what are the major benefits of putting all pictures, videos, documents etc onto the external hard-drive?
    I've got a couple. It's good for mainly two reasons: data security (you've got a backup in case something happens to your PC) and extra space. They're not particularly expensive these days so if you think you could use the above benefits then sure, go ahead (although from the sound of it, it doesn't seem like you have a very pressing need). But as the above user says, data transfer is slow with USB 2.0.

ReputationRep:
    I have one which I use for backup, it's worth it imo as I'd rather pay the money and not risk losing all my documents etc
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have one at home, 2TB, cost something like £80 maybe 3 years ago, USB 3.0 so the HDD itself is the bottleneck there (probably), but I barely use it, in fact I haven't used it in well over a year. I suppose there is the backup element of it, but there are other ways around that, if there is nothing sensitive you could use a cloud storage or something.

Oh, and a very important matter is: laptop or desktop, because with desktop it would be much better just to put a second HDD (or maybe a SSD) in, with laptops, not so simple, but doable (normally).

ReputationRep:
    I have a fairly ancient 1TB (from the era when 1TB was still good) USB2 jobby. It's my media backup drive for the most part. Good for archiving too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    If its for back up and portability then sure..........if its not for that reason, then whats the point?
    Get another internal drive fitted in........or spend the money on a SSD and place the OS on it and use the hdd for storage. It would also improve performance and will be noticeable from boot up.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.