Turn on thread page Beta

Edinburgh Medicine school GCSE requirements watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I really want to study medicine at Edinburgh and was wondering what GCSE's I would need to have a good chance of getting in.
    I will have a very strong PS, LOADS of work experience in hospitals, pharmacy's, GP'. Also loads of voluntary work in care homes ect. And sports team captain and several other things.
    I go to a state, comprehensive school (don't know if that's taken into account)
    I will realistically come out with:
    6A*'s in Maths, Geography, Core science, Additional science, Further additional science and DT graphics.
    2A's in English language and Computing
    And maybe a C or two in French and English lit
    and also an A or A* in RE (but its a short course)

From looking around TSR I get that most medicine applicants have like 9 or 10 A*, but would a very strong PS and A*A*A at level suffice for Edinburgh?

I really am worried about getting into medicine with my grades.I have heard of people not getting in to Sheffield or York even with 12A*s, Im sort of in the dark on the matter.

Any advice would really help

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12Russ)
    Hi everyone, I really want to study medicine at Edinburgh and was wondering what GCSE's I would need to have a good chance of getting in.
    I will have a very strong PS, LOADS of work experience in hospitals, pharmacy's, GP'. Also loads of voluntary work in care homes ect. And sports team captain and several other things.
    6A*'s in Maths, Geography, Core science, Additional science, Further additional science and DT graphics.

From looking around TSR I get that most medicine applicants have like 9 or 10 A*, but would a very strong PS and A*A*A at level suffice for Edinburgh?

I really am worried about getting into medicine with my grades.I have heard of people not getting in to Sheffield or York even with 12A*s, Im sort of in the dark on the matter.

Thanks
    You need to do some basic research rather than just making threads before you've read anything other than random other people's threads here and there. Then if you have questions you can use the search function, and if you can't find a satisfactory answer, you can make a thread. Most information is out there already - by making a thread you risk getting people who have no idea commenting, or you get the people who do have an idea commenting while being annoyed that you haven't done enough research.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Guide_and_FAQs

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths

From the third link, Edinburgh looks unlikely for you, though I haven't looked at the handbook that is linked to under Edinburgh on that page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    You need to do some basic research rather than just making threads before you've read anything other than random other people's threads here and there. Then if you have questions you can use the search function, and if you can't find a satisfactory answer, you can make a thread. Most information is out there already - by making a thread you risk getting people who have no idea commenting, or you get the people who do have an idea commenting while being annoyed that you haven't done enough research.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Guide_and_FAQs

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths

From the third link, Edinburgh looks unlikely for you, though I haven't looked at the handbook that is linked to under Edinburgh on that page.
    Thanks for the links, and sorry im sort of new to TSR, apologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12Russ)

Thanks
    I can't remember the exact numbers but Edinburgh operate a points based system where you get X number of points for your GCSE's up to a certain number of A*'s and can boost it with good AS/A2 grades (out of 20 i think). I too had 6A*'s though and decided it was too risky personally.
    They also give points for PS (out of 6) and UKCAT (out of 8) and SJT (out of 6, that's the other part of the UKCAT)

I had 6 A*'s 5A's and AAAA at A2 and now do medicine, i won't lie i found my GCSE grades were a bit limiting but if you get a great UKCAT that makes a huge difference and helps open options a bit. You do need to be flexible about where you want to go if you really want to study medicine. Chances are focusing on Edinburgh won't do you any favours.
    With those grades I'd suggest looking at St Georges, Leicester if you get good AS and UKCAT, QUB. Newcastle, Southampton, Glasgow, Sheffield (if good AS), Leeds (if you want to do BMAT).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.