Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am getting very confused so I wonder if someone can help me?
    I am getting confused between implicit and explicit attitudes, I understand that with explicit attitudes individuals are aware of their attitudes and visa-versa but are physiological measurements an implicit measurement or is that different because the IAT is a measure of implicit attitudes so are physiological measurements of not? I'm very confused please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CPsych)
    I am getting very confused so I wonder if someone can help me?
    I am getting confused between implicit and explicit attitudes, I understand that with explicit attitudes individuals are aware of their attitudes and visa-versa but are physiological measurements an implicit measurement or is that different because the IAT is a measure of implicit attitudes so are physiological measurements of not? I'm very confused please help!
    Hmm, its a good point. The whole implicit/explicit criteria is fairly vague in psychology, sometimes its used interchangably with conscious/unconscious or verbal/nonverbal. I think your confused because maybe there isn't a good definition of what implicit actually means (or people use it to mean different things)?

I would argue that physiological measures aren't necessarily either - physiological measures are non-verbal (yes), however they may reflect conscious processing (i.e. one's known hatred of a particular race may be reflected in a phsyiological measurement), or they may also be driven by unconscious processing...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you this did make it more clear thank you!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.