Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm an international applicant from the USA, and I've been having trouble choosing between Durham and KCL for psychology.

I know KCL's Psychology BsC course is completely new for 2015, and thus has no ranking yet-that's my main concern. However, I have heard that KCL is more renowned internationally than Durham, and also produces more research/gives more opportunities for research, especially with their Institute of Psychology, Psychiatry, and Neuroscience. I'm also a bit hesitant about their teaching quality--as I've heard that top researchers does not always indicate top professors. I do feel like King's offers better networking and career advice for post graduation.

I'm interested in going into research/teaching however, and I am looking into applying to both Oxford for a DPhil in experimental psychology. As Durham is more widely respected domestically, would it be a better option for the path I want to take? Any advice/perspectives would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about either uni, however rankings are important you should also take into consideration whether you like the uni itself and its location. For example, kcl (king college London right?) Is in London- a bustling city, whereas Durham is a pretty quiet town (I think). For me personally, I'd much rather the bustle of a city but have a look at each uni, location and course details not just ranking to find which suits you best

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5minutes)
    Hi everyone, I'm an international applicant from the USA, and I've been having trouble choosing between Durham and KCL for psychology.

I know KCL's Psychology BsC course is completely new for 2015, and thus has no ranking yet-that's my main concern. However, I have heard that KCL is more renowned internationally than Durham, and also produces more research/gives more opportunities for research, especially with their Institute of Psychology, Psychiatry, and Neuroscience. I'm also a bit hesitant about their teaching quality--as I've heard that top researchers does not always indicate top professors. I do feel like King's offers better networking and career advice for post graduation.

I'm interested in going into research/teaching however, and I am looking into applying to both Oxford for a DPhil in experimental psychology. As Durham is more widely respected domestically, would it be a better option for the path I want to take? Any advice/perspectives would be helpful.
    When your applying for PhD, no one gives a **** if you went to durham or KCL. I mean seriously, they're both reputable unis. What will matter more are the connections you make and the grades you get. I also wouldn't apply to oxford for DPhil JUST because you want to go to Oxford, at that level your particular supervisor matters more. Or, really, for PhD most people just go wherever they get an offer with funding from (which is quite rare).

I'd say what matters more is that KCL is a new course which will likely have some teething problems - maybe by the time you start they've gotten most of them out of the way.

I don't think you can say that the quality of teaching would necessarily be better at durham either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)

I'd say what matters more is that KCL is a new course which will likely have some teething problems - maybe by the time you start they've gotten most of them out of the way.

I don't think you can say that the quality of teaching would necessarily be better at durham either!
    Thank you for your reply! What sort of issues might a new course like KCL's have? I am leaning towards KCL at this point since I much prefer a bustling city vs. a quiet town like Durham, and I feel like networking would be easier in a city like London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5minutes)
    Thank you for your reply! What sort of issues might a new course like KCL's have? I am leaning towards KCL at this point since I much prefer a bustling city vs. a quiet town like Durham, and I feel like networking would be easier in a city like London.
    When your teaching a course, over time you get feedback and get to know what works and what doesn't. I know, however, that KCL have hired experienced lecturers to run their new course, but things can crop up. Its hard to say what exactly might go wrong. Things that annoy me are when all the module leaders give set work towards the end of term, leaving very little to do at the start, then a mountain at the end! It may be mostly little problems that they have to iron out.

Why are you deciding only between these two unis? KCL looks like a very small psychology department, too. I think historically it wasn't too focused on biological sciences... Why not UCL? Manchester? Etc...

Realistically, the university you went to will mean little compared to what you do during your degree, for example if you do any notable research projects, make contacts with a good lecturer/professor that you can do a PhD with, etc. etc. Of course, you might have more opportunities to do those things at a better university but its hard to pick between say the top 10/20 in psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Durham is better than KCL academically, as someone who lives in London I have to warn you how expensive it is (cost of living can be up to £750 a week more expensive on average for students). Also, networking is harder in London because of its scale (plus people tend to be less friendly here), making friends is much easier at a campus uni because all the amenities are specifically for students. Also, the standards of teaching and student satisfaction are higher at Durham.

But if you are looking for buzz and culture I'd recommend KCL, simply because of its excellent location, which despite being very distracting also makes getting work experience and placements much easier

There are pro's and con's for both but I'd go for Durham personally

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.