Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you wear dark sunglasses for an interview/in a job if...? watch

ReputationRep:
    You had a medical reason for doing so? I sometimes get migraines.

What would you do if you were in a similar position?

ReputationRep:
    It would appear that way to start with, but very quickly my verifocal lenses will prove that my glasses are just purely transitions lenses lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joyful_soul)

Suppose you'd have to explain that you needed them - if you wore dark sunglasses indoors and said nothing they'd assume you were being a nob.or hiding recent recreational drug abuse.

Best if you can avoid it entirely though - you don't want to create the impression that you're going to be needing a lot of time off sick.

Perhaps slightly tinted lenses in ordinary specs frames would look alright if they're any benefit

ReputationRep:
    I would simply explain the reason to the interviewer before the interview got underway and ask if they mind you wearing them. If they say yes then that is their decision and you at that point do not have to stay and carry on with the interview. If they say they do not mind then you simply carry on as you would have done so.

Really, what is the big deal? It's not hard to explain to someone a medical condition of this nature and most people are fairly reasonable when it comes to things like this. Interviewers are humans too.

ReputationRep:
    Take your chances at the interview, I'm sure you could manage an hour unless seriously badly affected, then when you get the job wear them.

ReputationRep:

Take migraine medication as a pre-emptive measure and go without them.

As someone said above, you don't want to draw attention to a medical problem which potentially makes you less employable.

ReputationRep:
    blind people get away with it so go for it. break down the barriers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Take migraine medication as a pre-emptive measure and go without them.

As someone said above, you don't want to draw attention to a medical problem which potentially makes you less employable.
    What if you look ill and not attractive?

I am applying for a career as an accountant with a top 4 firm.

ReputationRep:
    Eye contact is important in interviews, so you could perhaps take them off from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    What if you look ill and not attractive?
    I get migraines. If I'm put into a situation which I know usually triggers a migraine, then taking my medication in advance will prevent it. I suggest you do that.

Do you know what triggers your migraines? There's nothing in an interview per se which would be different to other situations you've encountered already. Presumably you have developed strategies to get through other situations like that. For example, if triggered by sunlight, you can wear your sunglasses to the interview building and take them off just before you go inside. You can them out them back on as you leave the building.

You don't have to look attractive in order to be an accountant. A few of my friends are and I can't say any of them have been anything more than pleasant-looking. Although it would certainly help if you can avoid projectile vomiting on your interviewers' Gucci loafers.

ReputationRep:
    I would definetly not wear them. Even though there's good reasons for them, it gives a too casual impression and first impressions are everything.

Also, it will make them worry that you will be off sick a lot

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.