The Student Room Group

Kings College- Feedback about AI/robotics course and the plain Computer Science one

Hi, I've recently got an offer from kings college (BSc computer Science and 1 year in industry) and I'd like to ask few questions.

I'd like some feedback from people who already studied there or have a lots of experience if possible.

I recently noticed you need 90 credits out of the 8 modules to pass to the second year.
I Assumed that every modules (if i'm wrong you can correct me) are about 15 credits each therefore 90/120.
It means it is about 75% and the 9% of it counts also towards your final degree grade.

So How hard is to literally get +75% to be able to do the second year of study?
By means of studying and doing coursework how much do you guys think you need (or in average did you spent while being there) just to get above that percentage?

How much help do you really get if you ask questions to your teachers ?or can you only ask to your tutors and not the lecturers?

Is it limited how much you can ask them or can you ask anything about the subject whenever you find them?

I noticed that you just have 10 hour max at week of lectures and practicals.... So i guess you'll at certainly need help in order to achieve high grades beside your independent study of course.

Also, I'd like to change my course and do the msci or bsc robotics and intelligent system course since it fascinates me a lot.

How hard is it compare to the normal computer science course?
Did you guys find/found it more interesting and intellectually stimulating?
Does it have more practicals?

Also, shall I change it right now by discussing with them after i receive my grades or after the second year there?

I opted on ucas just for the normal version since it had the industrial experience which the other didn't. I heard from people that the industrial experience really helps a lot in order to get a job after graduation.

Do you guys agree or if you get 1st division is it much easier to get a job?
Therefore, How hard is to get more than 2:1 in kings?

Thank you already for your answers and time!
Original post by FlareHyranoss
Hi, I've recently got an offer from kings college (BSc computer Science and 1 year in industry) and I'd like to ask few questions.

I'd like some feedback from people who already studied there or have a lots of experience if possible.

First, congrats! I'm the admissions tutor for undergraduate CS programmes at King's. Now you've received an offer, you will in due course be invited to one of our post-offer open days, where you can meet our students and ask questions etc. For now, I will answer the questions I can:

I recently noticed you need 90 credits out of the 8 modules to pass to the second year.
I Assumed that every modules (if i'm wrong you can correct me) are about 15 credits each therefore 90/120.
It means it is about 75% and the 9% of it counts also towards your final degree grade.

So How hard is to literally get +75% to be able to do the second year of study?

You only need to pass 6 out of the 8 modules to progress to the second year - and the pass mark on each module is 40%.

How much help do you really get if you ask questions to your teachers ?or can you only ask to your tutors and not the lecturers?

Is it limited how much you can ask them or can you ask anything about the subject whenever you find them?

Sure, you can ask your lecturer questions, either by email; by making an appointment; or going to their office hours - 2 hours a week when you can see them without appointment. We have a good staff:student ratio, and usually more than one member of staff per module, which helps. There's also a helpdesk open for three hours, every afternoon, Monday to Friday.

I noticed that you just have 10 hour max at week of lectures and practicals.... So i guess you'll at certainly need help in order to achieve high grades beside your independent study of course.

In first year, adding together lectures, practicals, and small-group tutorials: term 1 is 16 hours a week of timetabled study; term 2 is 18 hours a week of timetabled study.

Also, I'd like to change my course and do the msci or bsc robotics and intelligent system course since it fascinates me a lot.

How hard is it compare to the normal computer science course?

Same entry requirements, same difficulty.
Does it have more practicals?

The first year is the same. In the second year it changes, including replacing the 'Software Engineering Group Project' with a 'Robotics Group Project', which is more hands-on - it involves building wheeled robots in a lab. A summary of the differences is at http://www.inf.kcl.ac.uk/staff/andrew/admissions.html

Also, shall I change it right now by discussing with them after i receive my grades or after the second year there?

You can change at any point up to the end of the first year, because the first year modules are the same.
Original post by DrAndrewColes
First, congrats! I'm the admissions tutor for undergraduate CS programmes at King's. Now you've received an offer, you will in due course be invited to one of our post-offer open days, where you can meet our students and ask questions etc. For now, I will answer the questions I can:

You only need to pass 6 out of the 8 modules to progress to the second year - and the pass mark on each module is 40%.

Sure, you can ask your lecturer questions, either by email; by making an appointment; or going to their office hours - 2 hours a week when you can see them without appointment. We have a good staff:student ratio, and usually more than one member of staff per module, which helps. There's also a helpdesk open for three hours, every afternoon, Monday to Friday.

In first year, adding together lectures, practicals, and small-group tutorials: term 1 is 16 hours a week of timetabled study; term 2 is 18 hours a week of timetabled study.

The first year is the same. In the second year it changes, including replacing the 'Software Engineering Group Project' with a 'Robotics Group Project', which is more hands-on - it involves building wheeled robots in a lab. A summary of the differences is at http://www.inf.kcl.ac.uk/staff/andrew/admissions.html

You can change at any point up to the end of the first year, because the first year modules are the same.

First of all, thanks a lot to you for your quick answers! They have been really helpful!
If i may, I had some more questions to ask.

How the credit values per module that you get are calculated?

Example if the exam is out of 100 do i need to get 75% for an A?

I heard the 9% of the entire year counts toward your degree get and if I want to aim for more than 2:1 division, obviously i'll need to get good grades even in the first year.
Therefore do they count my credits at the end of the year and then take in consideration 9% of it or is it something else?

On the other hand, what kind of things would you suggest me to be prepared on (subject wise) before going on that course?

In your opinion how important is the industrial year (BSc Computer science one) to get into a decent job after you finish your degree?
or do you think people who does Bsc/Msc in Robotics & Intelligent System (which doesn't include an industrial year option) have the same percentage of chance to get into a job?

Even Though i'm fascinated by the second option people often tell me that the "area" doesn't offer so many opportunity for jobs or research options.

Thanks again for all the answers you'll give!
Original post by FlareHyranoss
How the credit values per module that you get are calculated?

They're listed in the student handbook. Most modules are 15 credits. The exception is the second year group project (30 credits), and the individual project (30 credits).

Example if the exam is out of 100 do i need to get 75% for an A?

Modules are graded using the same system as degrees:

70% to 100% is a first

60%+ is an upper-second (2:1)

50%+ is a lower-second (2:2)

40%+ is a third

Your mark for the first year would be the average mark across your first year modules.

I heard the 9% of the entire year counts toward your degree get and if I want to aim for more than 2:1 division, obviously i'll need to get good grades even in the first year.

Therefore do they count my credits at the end of the year and then take in consideration 9% of it or is it something else?

For the ordinary three-year-BSc, the final degree mark is:

11% of the first-year average; plus

33% of the second-year average; plus

56% of the third-year average

For the year-in-industry - that's worth 7% of the final degree mark, and those are all dialled down a bit accordingly.

As for whether you can get above a 2:1 with comparatively weak marks in the first year - yes, that can happen. 11% is deliberate. It's large enough to make it worth your while to try hard in your first year modules, rather than just aiming to pass. But, it's small enough so that if you take a term or two to adjust to learning at university rather than school, it's not game over: because the second and third year are worth more, students can make up the difference there if they apply themselves..

On the other hand, what kind of things would you suggest me to be prepared on (subject wise) before going on that course?

Knowing zero about what you're studying now - we don't assume any specific knowledge, but if I could suggest something, do some programming. Learn some python, work through some problems from project euler, have a look at YouTube tutorials for Android app development etc. All good fun.

In your opinion how important is the industrial year (BSc Computer science one) to get into a decent job after you finish your degree?
or do you think people who does Bsc/Msc in Robotics & Intelligent System (which doesn't include an industrial year option) have the same percentage of chance to get into a job?

Either of the MSci degrees, or the BSc 'with Industry', have the same employment stats - they both have extra experience. MSci students have learnt more of the subject, and have an extra summer between the third and fourth year for more summer work - e.g. one of our current fourth-year MSci students worked for Google last summer, which obviously looks great on his CV. The 'with Industry' students have done a year's work, and will often return to work at their placement-year company when they graduate.

Honestly, I would choose whichever interests you the most - the first year has a bit of everything on it (including some AI) so you can decide after then.

Even Though i'm fascinated by the second option people often tell me that the "area" doesn't offer so many opportunity for jobs or research options.

All our degrees are from the same department, in the same university. The stats indicate it doesn't affect employment prospects, so as a scientist I'd side with that in the first instance.
Thank you very much for every your answers!
You can't imagine how helpful it was!
Thanks for your patience and time on answering in details my questions!
I'm looking forward to receive an email for the offer holder's open day!
(edited 9 years ago)
I also have a question about Kings. I have applied for a Computer Science course, would it be possible to change to a CS course with a year in the industry?
Original post by abdulrapidz
I also have a question about Kings. I have applied for a Computer Science course, would it be possible to change to a CS course with a year in the industry?

Yes, you can either do it now by sending a message via the application portal; or do it at any point up to the end of the first year of study.
Yes, you can either do it now by sending a message via the application portal; or do it at any point up to the end of the first year of study.

Thank you I will do it now. :smile:

Hi Dr Coles,

Interesting replies in regarding to the CS Programme at King's College London. Could you please specify how many subjects one student is required to take per semester? In the example of a CS student with Intelligent Systems, would I be correct in believing that the student is required to pursue 4 subjects per semester? And if so, could you please specify what a typical first and second semester timetable might look like.
Thank you for your time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending